Export thread

BAKED POTATOES ARE THE BEST POTATOES.

strawman

strawman

I actually think it's a toss-up between baked and mashed, but at the moment baked wins.

My wife has no love for potatoes. She'll eat them with sufficient amounts of dairy products and seasoning, and she makes great potato dishes that she just doesn't enjoy much.

But once in awhile when we happen to have russet potatoes in the house, I'm seized upon to make baked potatoes. Smother the outside with olive oil, prick them, salt and pepper them, and pop them in the oven for awhile, and they come out crispy skinned with perfect innards, to which a variety of items may be added - but just a little butter and seasoning is more than sufficient...

DELICIOUS.

MindDetective

MindDetective

French fries! Crispy hash browns! Mashed potatoes! They all beat baked potatoes.

Frank

Frank

My grandpa used to grow this breed of potato that when baked created a super thick, crispy shell. Those....were the best potatoes ever grown by man.

You'd scoop out the innards and butter the skin shell and eat the most delicious thing on Earth.

Baked potatoes rule.

Tress

Tress

Homemade kettle chips > all.

drifter

drifter

Frank

Frank

Add some sour cream and bacon to that and we're in business.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Double baked with sour cream, cheese, bacon, chives, steak, turnips and beer is the best potatoes.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

My wife has no love for potatoes.
You know that part where they're like "If anyone knows any reason why these two should not be wed..." This is one of those things. I'm pretty sure you've got a legal case for divorce here.

Anyway, next time you make mashed potatoes, obtain or make some creme fraiche and stir in a tablespoon or two. Thank me later.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I submit for the forum's consideration, scalloped potatoes.
Cream and onion and bacon and cheese, all layered over top thinly sliced oven roasted potatoes. Heart attack in a casserole dish, yes. But a delicious one.

strawman

strawman

Anyway, next time you make mashed potatoes, obtain or make some creme fraiche and stir in a tablespoon or two. Thank me later.
OooooOOOOoooooh!

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/02/how-to-make-creme-fraiche-in-1-easy-step.html

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

It really is that easy. I find it keeps for about two weeks. I use it to make killer scrambled eggs

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Uh, no. I am not leaving dairy products to sit a room temperature for 12 hours.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Uh, no. I am not leaving dairy products to sit a room temperature for 12 hours.
Hey, I'm not dead yet.

Frank

Frank

I submit for the forum's consideration, scalloped potatoes.
Cream and onion and bacon and cheese, all layered over top thinly sliced oven roasted potatoes. Heart attack in a casserole dish, yes. But a delicious one.
Get the fuck out of here with that scalloped nonsense.

About the only way to ruin potatoes, in my opinion.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Sounds to me like what you guys really like are condiments.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

1. Baked
  2. Scalloped
  3. Roasted
  4. French Fries/ Wedges (Turning into Poutine launches it to number 1, though)
  5. Hashbrowns
  6. Mashed
  7. Boiled

strawman

strawman

Sounds to me like what you guys really like are condiments.
I have to admit enjoying a little potatoes with my dairy, but I still hold that any potato dish that requires more than a little butter and seasoning to taste good is inherently no longer a potato dish.

You can add all the stuff you want after that and it still counts, but it the dish doesn't taste good without a pound of butter, sour cream, cheese, etc, then there's little point to having potato in it at all. Might as well just use corn starch or flour.

Baked potatoes are a pretty pure form of potato as dishes go.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I have to admit enjoying a little potatoes with my dairy, but I still hold that any potato dish that requires more than a little butter and seasoning to taste good is inherently no longer a potato dish.

You can add all the stuff you want after that and it still counts, but it the dish doesn't taste good without a pound of butter, sour cream, cheese, etc, then there's little point to having potato in it at all. Might as well just use corn starch or flour.

Baked potatoes are a pretty pure form of potato as dishes go.
Fair enough. Doesn't mean scalloped potatoes aren't still delicious, but I'll concede to it not being a "true" potato dish under these restrictions.

grub

grub

Roasted is the best, potatoes cut into cubes, mixed in olive oil with garlic and onion, salt and oregano. Yum.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Hey don't you go knockin our boiled potatoes. Some times I put salt in that water.

Now here is something super secretly awesome for you all, don't read it if you are not ready for awesomeness or charlie, or Nick or Dave, they probably couldn't handle this level of awesome

When making mashed potatoes for a turkey dinner, do not through out the water. Use it to start your gravy. You will taste super awesome gravy.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Hey don't you go knockin our boiled potatoes. Some times I put salt in that water.
My mom's favourite dish is ham boiled with potato, cabbage and carrots and absolutely no spices. Its not terrible, but it's unbelievably bland. Which is why she loves it.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

That was actually a Russel Peters quote mocking the blandness of Canadian food.

@3:45

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

That was actually a Russel Peters quote mocking the blandness of Canadian food.
I know. And its true. My mom loves that dish because she's from England and therefore hates spice, but she didn't even know how to make it until my dad's mom (Irish from Cape Breton) taught her.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

(Irish from Cape Breton)
Error Error. Does not compute.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Au Gratin, bitches!

Because everything is better with more cheese! ;)

PatrThom

PatrThom

I have already rendered my opinion on this, and that is that the best potatoes are those which have been deep fried in schmalz.

--Patrick

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Error Error. Does not compute.
What's not to compute? Cape Breton has a huge Irish population.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

What's not to compute? Cape Breton has a huge Irish population.
Dude you essentially just said "French Quebecois" or watery water.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Okay, so it did compute. Just redundant. To be fair, there's Scottish and English and Mik'Maq there too. Just... mostly Irish.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I've always been partial to good mashed potatoes. The lumpy kind, however... that kind of mash and anybody who serves it can go **** themselves.

That being said, I also enjoy the first crop of new potatoes that hit the markets in early summer. No need to peel them; just wash them, boil them and serve them with butter. Delicious.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

If I catch you saying ice hockey, you're gonna be in trouble.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

If I catch you saying ice hockey, you're gonna be in trouble.
Huh?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

It isn't "ice hockey". It's just "hockey".

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

It isn't "ice hockey". It's just "hockey".
Well, true, but there's also field hockey, which is also sometimes called hockey.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Well, true, but there's also field hockey, which is also sometimes called hockey.
Not to Canadians. Field hockey is field hockey. Hockey is hockey.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Fair enough. But let's get back to potatoes.

When it comes to fries, I like them big and sturdy and crispy. Soggy fries just make me sad.

figmentPez

figmentPez

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

All potatoes are good potatoes. Hell, when I was a kid I'd have my grandma skin them and I'd eat them raw.

LordRendar

LordRendar

All potatoes are good potatoes. Hell, when I was a kid I'd have my grandma skin them and I'd eat them raw.

Tress

Tress

Hell, when I was a kid I'd have my grandma skin them and I'd eat them raw.

phil

phil

The best kind of potato is the kind that's in my belly.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Zappit

Zappit

Gotta give the edge to mashed potatoes. Mix the butter in with a little bit of milk to make them smooth, light, and creamy, and then smother them with gravy.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I like them all. For mashed, skin-on, of course. Add a little garlic, some chives, some sour cream and butter, and you're pretty much done.

For baked, I like to make it a big deal. Chicken, pico de gallo, cheese, sour cream, and some hot sauce (generally Tapatio or Cholula, as they've got more flavor than just spice). I make the potato the easy way, pretty much like steinman said in the OP. Oil on the skin, salt it up, set it right on the oven rack at about 350F for an hour.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I love a good baked potato. Little butter, cheese, broccoli florets, and fresh chives. Delicious!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

A tie between mashed and baked. I am also partial to lazy Au Gratin, where you take a baked potato and put two slices of cheese on top of it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Gotta give the edge to mashed potatoes. Mix the butter in with a little bit of milk to make them smooth, light, and creamy, and then smother them with gravy.
Lately we've been replacing that last part with "add a couple tablespoons of prepared horseradish." Gravy optional.

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I love a good baked potato. Little butter, cheese, broccoli florets, and fresh chives. Delicious!
Speaking of broccoli, putting some broccoli cheese soup on a baked potato is fantastic. Also good with chili and a buttload of hot sauce.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Boil em, mash em, put them in a stew...

Siska

Siska

Hasselback Rules!

All potatoes are good potatoes.
Almost all potatoes are good. Potatoes they served us back in school tasted like sick dirt. No idea how they did it. Some kind of a miracle.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Not to Canadians. Field hockey is field hockey. Hockey is hockey.
Field Hockey is Hockey, Ice Hockey is played on ice because you guys don't have fields for half the year.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I did not know there were actually people who referred to field hockey as just "hockey." Like, I'm not even gonna criticize anyone, I honestly did not know that.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Well, don't forget that there's that big difference between "Football" and "American Football."

--Patrick

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I did not know there were actually people who referred to field hockey as just "hockey." Like, I'm not even gonna criticize anyone, I honestly did not know that.
I only found out last year.

Cajungal

Cajungal

This is really making me want to bake potatoes tomorrow.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!

Frank

Frank

Field Hockey is Hockey, Ice Hockey is played on ice because you guys don't have fields for half the year.
You don't call regular football field football because arena football exists.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I made these home fries exactly once. They were the most awesome potatoes I'd ever made. Never had the chance to make them again because my copy of the cookbook disappeared for decades.

But now I found it again. I should make them again when my sister is in town in a week.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Potato soup! OMG my mom makes awesome potato soup.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I absolutely HATE potato skins, so anything that doesn't have skin wins out over classic baked potatoes. Lefse wins out for my absolute favorite thing that contains potatoes. It's a Swedish thing.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I absolutely HATE potato skins

Frank

Frank

I'm beginning to fall in love with disapproving Dave Grohl.

fade

fade

I don't really get the disapproval memes. Most of the time they're just staring. How exactly is that disapproval? I'm disapproving the hell out of this computer monitor right now.

We grew potatoes when I was a kid. I used to like 'em raw with a little salt. Eat it like an apple.

dill616

dill616

I'm going to stick up for the simple delight of the tater tot. It's one of those comfort foods that's salty and delish!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

You don't call regular football field football because arena football exists.
It is called American Football because Association Football already existed.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I love making hash browns.

Covar

Covar

I have a confession to make. I ... Can't bake a potato. I don't know why I do everything I'm supposed to, heat oven, poke holes, coat skins, place directly on rack. Whatever reason the potatoes hate me, and they don't cook. :'(

Any other kind of potato is no problem, but the easiest and best method is apparently beyond me.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Maybe you were used by a witch as a baby.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

We grew potatoes when I was a kid. I used to like 'em raw with a little salt. Eat it like an apple.
When I was growing up I was always told you shouldn't eat raw potato because it would make you sick. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but it came from all of my relatives.

MindDetective

MindDetective

So many disagrees! They are as delicious as fresh, salted french fries.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

When I was growing up I was always told you shouldn't eat raw potato because it would make you sick. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but it came from all of my relatives.
They just wanted the potatoes all to themselves. ;)

Cajungal

Cajungal

Maybe you were used by a witch as a baby.
this was supposed to say cursed. Damn you tapataaaaalk!

A witch cursed my phone.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

1. Vada pav (It's worth going to India just for this!)
2. Mashed potatoes (I prefer whipped taters with a little sour cream, salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne - with cream gravy of course).
3. Baked potatoes
4. Tater tots
5. Fries
6. Au gratin

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

They just wanted the potatoes all to themselves. ;)
Yeah now I wonder if it was just to keep me from ruining my dinner.

Gared

Gared

Apparently, while it's perfectly ok to eat raw potatoes when they're freshly harvested, it can be a bad idea to eat them raw if they've begun to sprout eyes.

Source: UT San Diego

dill616

dill616

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Thank you. I am going to make this and die happy (of the inevitable heart attack)

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

. . . needs more cheese . . .

Gared

Gared

Taco Time needs to get on this, ASAP. Their nachos are a little underwhelming, but they have tater tots that they serve as "mexi-fries." Why not put those tots to better use?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Apparently, while it's perfectly ok to eat raw potatoes when they're freshly harvested, it can be a bad idea to eat them raw if they've begun to sprout eyes.

Source: UT San Diego
Yep. Once they start to turn green, that's your signal not to eat that part, as it has begun to produce toxins.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'd prefer to see it made with "tater rounds"/"crispy crowns" or whatever you want to call the coin shaped tater tots.

BananaHands

BananaHands

You all are so cute pretending like baked potatoes aren't the best things ever.

Frank

Frank

Taco Time needs to get on this, ASAP. Their nachos are a little underwhelming, but they have tater tots that they serve as "mexi-fries." Why not put those tots to better use?
Taco Time does that already, though I don't think it has guac.

Gared

Gared

Taco Time does that already, though I don't think it has guac.
Damn it. Not around here they don't.

evilmike

evilmike

After seeing the various discussions in this thread, I have but one thing to say, "guys, I'm proud of you."

This thread could have been much worse -- Dispute over mashed potatoes turns dangerous

Emrys

Emrys

Jax

Jax

The best of both worlds: Kumpir

- Take a giant baked potato (or slam 2 together)
- Make an opening
- Add butter, cheese and salt and mash everything up (even better when you go: HULK MASH!)
- Add stuff. Lots of stuff
- OMNOMNOMnomnomnomnom

Terrik

Terrik

Had these at a Greek restaurant.

Frank

Frank

Those just look like run of the mill bar potato skins.

Which are delicious, do not get me wrong.

Terrik

Terrik

But trust me---THEY WERE SO MUCH MORE. I'd go back to that place for those skins alone.

figmentPez

figmentPez

That doesn't look like sour cream to me, is that some sort of yogurt sauce?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Its tzatziki, which is a yogurt cucumber sauce. At least I'm assuming since it looks like it and I've never been to a greek place that didn't have it. Its also really good.

Emrys

Emrys

Oooo, I love tzatziki! <droooool>

Terrik

Terrik

Yeah that's the stuff. Delicious.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I just made some Potatos Au Gratin. Holy FUCK is it filling, couldn't even finish it. Course...thats probably since its made for 2-3 people and I also had a steak- BUT STILL!

Emrys

Emrys

Why the hell didn't you explode after all that?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Why the hell didn't you explode after all that?
A very well trained gut!

Emrys

Emrys

A very well trained gut!
You must have started early.

mothermode
Did you eat your vegetables?
/mothermode

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yup, two carrots as always.

Emrys