Anyone else having problems with FF 3.5.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I just opened up Firefox tonight and the first thing it had to do before loading was install the update to 3.5.2. Almost immediately I started having problems with it hanging and failing to shut down all the way when closed.

It hasn't frozen completely and refused to allow me to do anything else, but it does hang for up to 3 or 4 minutes before letting me finish an operation. This happens with such random occurrences as typing something in the address bar, downloading a file, typing a file name in the "Save As" dialog box, and even shutting down the software. It took me 5 minutes to shut the software down, then when I tried a couple minutes after that to re-open it the hourglass (circle-y thing, actually) came up and looked like it was going to load, but then just went away. When I pulled up the task manager FF had an open process that was using something like 182,000K of RAM; but there was no FF application to match that process. Shutting down the process and then re-launching the app took care of restarting, of course. It looks like it could be the old faithful memory leak issue, but I never had it that bad before, not even on my old computer - which had serious problems running WoW and one Chrome tab at the same time.

FF isn't really that important to me, being that I do most of my browsing in Chrome, but I do use FF for some of my downloads that Chrome can't seem to figure out how to handle; so I'd love to be able to keep using it.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware just ran a full scan and came up empty handed, as did AVG Free.

Relevant(?) Info:
Firefox 3.5.2
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
Gateway DX4200-09 AMD Phenom 9150e Quad-core 1.8GHz
4GB RAM

R

Roxxoredizorz

Yeah, I have. Firefox 3.5 has just not been that good so far, so I switched back to 3.0.12.

I've had no issue whatsoever with 3.5 or any subsequent update.... in fact, I've found it runs smoother than ever....

have you checked add-on compatibility?

I'll check add-ons when I get back home, but I'm pretty sure the only ones I have loaded are from Google and AVG. I suppose it could be either one of those.

Follow-up question:
Since I'll be leaving this company in a little less than a week now, and I have several pages bookmarked (easy to clear out) and passwords for various sites saved in the browser memory; how do I go about making sure that the passwords all get purged when I leave? The computer won't be re-imaged or anything technical like that.

I updated and ever since whenever I'm online, it routinely opens up an extra window out of nowhere that's very clearly a virus. But I've run AVG twice and it hasn't found anything.

FF seems to be taking up a ton of memory. I'm thinking of switching to chrome, but I want NoScript.

Gared said:
how do I go about making sure that the passwords all get purged when I leave?
Clear everything that FF will let you clear (passwords/cookies/caches). Uninstall everything you want to uninstall (and tell it to delete saved data if it asks). Manually delete everything else you don't want seen and make SURE you empty the recycle bin/trash.

Then, if you're on Mac, use Disk Utility to secure erase (1- or 7-pass) all of the free space.
If you're on Windows, use DiskRedactor to do the same thing.

Then you will be able to sleep at night.

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.