Addon Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CitizenBot

In game a couple days ago someone was farming and I had suggested trying Gatherer (I love it), and Zen suggested a combo that she uses. I know in the WoW threads we've talked about addons a few times before but I figured we could have one here too.

So post questions here or just rave about your favorites!

I use Gatherer and QuestHelper, and that is all.

:) So far it seems to be working out, but there are little holes that even Questhelper can't help with. For these, I differ to Wowhead and personal experience to hasten the leveling process.

Which, I actually shouldn't do, because leveling is probably my favourite part.

My combination is Mapster + QuestGuru + Lightheaded (with GatherMate instead of Gatherer for compatibility reasons; as far as I can tell they're pretty much the same.)

I don't like QuestHelper and never have. Mr. ZM -- who now has a DK on the server, btw -- loves it and so do many, many people, but it's just a personal preference thing. It's got so many options that I would turn off (like the ant crawl, reordering quests, deciding my route for me, etc.) that I simply decided to go with an addon that had only the stuff I wanted, and QuestGuru was my favorite.

I prefer to figure out my own quest sequencing, but with Lightheaded, which attaches a window to your log with Wowhead information on every question, I can click on coordinates found in the info and use the "crazy arrow" to get there. So it's kind of a manually operated QuestHelper.

I use some others but those are my most important ones. I don't use Lightheaded that much in new areas, like Northrend, where I want to explore, but going through content I've done already, it's nice to just get there.

I don't use any addons any more. Most of the features that I desperately wanted have been added to the native UI as of the expansion pack, and I get tired of having to wait for them to be fixed after every patch.

Bowielee said:
I don't use any addons any more. Most of the features that I desperately wanted have been added to the native UI as of the expansion pack, and I get tired of having to wait for them to be fixed after every patch.
I have to laugh because I was monumentally stupid enough to spend a fairly good amount of time on a custom UI right before Wrath came out. Good timing!

How needed are addons in the later stages of the game? And if you are computer retarded are there step by step guides to install them?

Docseverin said:
How needed are addons in the later stages of the game? And if you are computer retarded are there step by step guides to install them?
Get WoWMatrix and it'll pretty much do all the work for you.

As to what addons to get, Quest Helper...helps a lot. I'd also suggest getting something with coordinates. If your monitor is fairly large I'd get the Fubar addon. It's a User Interface (UI) addon that shows such things as money, XP per hour, stuff like that. I also use things like a bag addon so that all of my bags open at the same time and sort, looking like 1 big bag. Really helps when you are looking for stuff later on.

Docseverin said:
They're really not needed at all, they just make some things easier.

I have:
-Arkinventory - Makes all my bags/bank into one big bag. I can also switch around in between characters and bank to see whats in them. It also has a search box so I can search for the name of something. And it keeps a running tally of how many you have of an item and what character/bank they are in in the tooltip.

-Auctioneer - Scans the AH to tell me what stuff is selling for. Also tells me what stuff DE's into and whether it would be better to AH something or DE it.

-WoW-pro leveling guide - I put some info on this in the leveling guide thread. You need lightheaded, tom tom, and some coordinate addon.

-Omen - Threat meter, I still prefer this to the one in the game.

-Recount - Tells me how much DPS me and my party members are doing.

-Gatherer - I may stop using this. I'm not grinding for ore anymore, so it's not as useful.

-Closetgnome - Let's me build sets of armor and will swap out every piece for me. Useful when switching between questing/tanking/pvping.

slothilopolis said:
-Closetgnome - Let's me build sets of armor and will swap out every piece for me. Useful when switching between questing/tanking/pvping.
I had a mod to do this. But I mostly used it to put my armor that take damage into my bags when my Gnomish Transporter would fail. That way when I went splat, I did not have any repair charges. People would see a Dwarf in Dragon Stalker armor appear out of thin air and hit the ground nekkid.

sixpackshaker said:
slothilopolis said:
I had a mod to do this. But I mostly used it to put my armor that take damage into my bags when my Gnomish Transporter would fail. That way when I went splat, I did not have any repair charges. People would see a Dwarf in Dragon Stalker armor appear out of thin air and hit the ground nekkid.
I think they changed it to where all armor in your bags take damage now. You need to actually put it in your bank.

I like to have a fishing outfit, so that was the main thing I used it for.

Edrondol said:
A lot of people are saying now not to use any automated addon installers (WoWMatrix, Curse Installer) due to the possibility of malware. It's a big debate right now but until they've been absolutely proven not to contribute to the keylogger problem, I install and update everything manually. Which sucks because I really like WoWMatrix.

Docseverin said:
Some groups and guilds won't let you raid (meaning the 10- and 25-man dungeons) without certain addons, and some won't even let you instance (the 5-mans) without them. Other than that, addons are only as necessary as you want them to be. I know people over level 70 who use no or only one or two addons.

I would suggest playing without them as long as you're happy with the interface and the amount of information you're getting. If, say, one say you think "Gee, I wish I could organize my bags differently" or "Gee, I'd like to swap my gear more easily," then you can find an addon for those. When I first started it was months and months before I started with addons.

They also couldn't be easier to install. You just drop the addon folder into your Addons directory (WoW :arrowright: Interface :arrowright: Addons). Now, tweaking them in-game can be easy or a pain depending on the addon, but most of the major ones (i.e. the ones you're most likely to be interested in initially) have user-friendly interfaces to change the options, and of course you'll have all the help you want here or in the guild. :uhhuh:

ZenMonkey said:
Edrondol said:
A lot of people are saying now not to use any automated addon installers (WoWMatrix, Curse Installer) due to the possibility of malware. It's a big debate right now but until they've been absolutely proven not to contribute to the keylogger problem, I install and update everything manually. Which sucks because I really like WoWMatrix.

Docseverin said:
Some groups and guilds won't let you raid (meaning the 10- and 25-man dungeons) without certain addons, and some won't even let you instance (the 5-mans) without them. Other than that, addons are only as necessary as you want them to be. I know people over level 70 who use no or only one or two addons.

I would suggest playing without them as long as you're happy with the interface and the amount of information you're getting. If, say, one say you think "Gee, I wish I could organize my bags differently" or "Gee, I'd like to swap my gear more easily," then you can find an addon for those. When I first started it was months and months before I started with addons.

They also couldn't be easier to install. You just drop the addon folder into your Addons directory (WoW :arrowright: Interface :arrowright: Addons). Now, tweaking them in-game can be easy or a pain depending on the addon, but most of the major ones (i.e. the ones you're most likely to be interested in initially) have user-friendly interfaces to change the options, and of course you'll have all the help you want here or in the guild. :uhhuh:
When I was seriously raiding, there were a few add ons required, but mostly just aggro meters and whatever that add on was that would give event warnings during boss fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.