Ok, I do this every once in a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need single player PC games. I have a bunch of free time over the next couple of weeks and I want to play some God damn video games and I enjoy playing them on PC over anything else. Not really into multiplayer games, never really have been. Now, I've played most big releases such as Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Borderlands etc. I want something that I can pour a God awful amount of time into. Any suggestions would be great. I gravitate towards RPGs, Strategy games, Shooters and would fucking love flight sims if they existed outside of Microsoft Flight Simulator anymore.

Forgot about that one. Never heard of King's Bounty, but I'll giver a look. Fallout 3 and Red Faction I've long since played.

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

Ahh, it's a Might and Magic clone.

Oh yeah, love the shit out of the IL-2 Sturmovik. Heh, when my old room mate and I first got it, it took us forever to even muster the skill to get a plane to take off safely.

Isn't the new one just a glorified arcade shooter ala Ace Combat though?

R

RealBigNuke

Dwarf.

Fortress.
Don't listen to him, it's a trap! It'll devour your soul!

Have you played the mechwarrior games? Those were fun, and were a nice combination of squad tactics and fps and sim. A touch dated but still good.

I assume you've done half life 2 and portal? If you haven't, you're missing one of the best first person shooter single player campaigns out there.

I very much was a fan of the Mechwarrior series and am still a little crushed at it's current state.

R

RealBigNuke

I very much was a fan of the Mechwarrior series and am still a little crushed at it's current state.
Hear, hear!

Rumors abound of a renewal in the works, though. Here's hoping.

*looks at his desktop*

Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale 2
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
System Shock
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Mount and Blade
Fable
The Witcher
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3 (WANT)
Jagged Alliance 2
Bah

I got bored of typing.

W

Wyrminarrd

I´ll second Kings Bounty, I had a blast playing both KB: The Legend and KB: Armored Princess.

I finaly got my hands on Borderlands.

If you haven't played it, it'll swallow you alive for a good while. Even single player. I highly recommend it.

Yeah, me and a buddy went through everything in Borderlands including Underdome, Island of Dr. Ned and Knoxx. I can't really bring myself to do another playthrough. Loot just isn't justification enough for me.

If you want one that'll snag you for a while: Hearts of Iron. I've only played HoI 1, 2 and Doomsday (call it 2.5, different enough to have you re-think your strategies). Nothing like an epic-level WWII campaign, where you can affect decisions in the pre-war phase...

S

Steven Soderburgin

Mount and Blade is fun. Company of Heroes is a really good RTS with a good campaign, imo. The Sam & Max games are great and funny but I don't know if you're into adventure games like that. Red Faction Guerrilla rules.

Necronic

Staff member
Dwarf Fortress. 2nd that one. There is a reason why the DF threads are titled the way they are.

Mount and Blade, definitely second that one. It has FPS 4X and Tactical strategy elements in it, and its the first game I have ever seen that handles mounted combat well. Its....tits. Also they just released the sequel/expansion which I haven't played yet (actually I was a beta tester for the multiplayer, I never played the single player)

Other strategy games:

Civilization 4 - Best 4x game ever made. But be prepared to play 24 hour sessions.

Galactic Civ - The space based version of Civ. Best thing about it is that its the only strategy game I know of that uses a CPU slider for difficulty scaling. Harder difficulties actually use more complex AI.

Battle for Wesnoth - Freeware. Good simple strategy game, remarkably fun.

Total War series (rome or Medieval 2 are my suggestions)- Lots of fun up till when you realize the AI isn't very good. But its still tons of fun. It has 4X and RTS elements, there is a world map which is turn based and battles are real time.

Sins of a Solar Empire - Where total war has a mosaic of 4X and RTS, SoSA somehow pulls off blending them. Its all real time, but plays like a turn based game due to the slow movements and the epic scales of the battles. The fights in that game may be the best I have ever seen in any space sim. The other cool thing is the zoom function on it. You can be sitting at one second zoomed out looking at 4 star systems with 150 planets total then roll your mouse and be following a bomber zipping through a titanic fleet battle with hundreds of ships on either side. AI is good on that one too, plus its got StarDock DRM (none)

Man, I've known about gog.com (Good Old Games) for a long time but I had never bothered to visit the site. Jesus what a terrible lack of judgement on my part. I've been indulging my nostalgic side like it's going out of style here. Gonna end up probably buying Gabriel Knight series, Arcanum, Lionheart and all the Freespace games. What an awesome site.

S

Steven Soderburgin

gog.com rules, true story. I'm thinking about buying Outcast from them.

J

Jonzac

Falcon 4 Allied Force....if you want REALLY complex flight sim...
Steel Beast Pro...the Army actually uses this for tank training (along with teh Dutch and Germans)
Rome Total War with Europa Barbarium Mod....

Status
Not open for further replies.