Your favorite guilty/disgusting food pleasure.

Liver with sauteed onions and apple on mashed potatoes with a side of apple sauce is to die for. can only eat it once or twice a year though.

And barbecued chicken intestines was one of my favorite snacks together with beer when I was living in the philippines.

Echoing the love for offal. Offal meat is the best meat.

Also, Durian. I've had it only once, but I loved it...unlike all my other friends who were trying it with me, who couldn't get it down.

In actual "weird combination" stuff, my mom used to make rice pudding...except with pasta (macaroni elbows) instead of rice. So leftover cooked pasta heated through in milk with cinnamon and sugar. I've not had it since I was like, twelve, but man, that was my favorite dessert ever. Now that I've typed it out, I guess it doesn't seem that weird, but my friend were always weirded out by it when I mentioned having it for dessert the night before.
"Spaghettipap" or "pierenpap" is/was fairly common in some areas alongthe Dutch/Belgian border. I don't remember what area you're from exactly anymore, but "close enough" that your mother might've picked it up :) I often got it from my aunt who lived in that area, while my mother considered it weird.

The closest Offal (which I don't think it is) thing that I like is beef lengua tacos at a local taco truck. I've had tripe and it's okay. I don't like liver, except I've had a pretty amazing steak topped with foie gras before.

I just remembered something I used to make as a kid: Nestle Quick cocoa powder, powdered creamer, and maple syrup, mixed together into a very thick paste. Eaten straight with a spoon. This was my idea of "cooking."

Canned smoked oysters on crackers are awesome!
Post automatically merged:

All my shame foods involve Cheez Whiz and I’ve shared them with my kids (and my husband - he just isn’t a fan).

Saltine crackers and chocolate frosting.
Pretzels (Snyder's Butter Snaps to be specific) and Nutella
Post automatically merged:

Also...scrapple.
img_7734-300x225.jpg

What's scrapple? Well let's ask Wikipedia!
...a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then pan-fried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste.

Last edited:
Olive loaf. Mmmm...

Will also add that canned smoked oysters are one of my favorite foods in the world, especially atop saltines.

--Patrick
Was at the grocery store and buying deli meat. Saw that had olive loaf and remembered this thread, so I got a quarter pound of it.

It mostly tastes like bologna and olives. Which, you know, isn't a bad combination.

It mostly tastes like bologna and olives. Which, you know, isn't a bad combination.
Considering that’s pretty much exactly what it is, I’m not surprised,
There are other “loaf” lunchmeats...pickle loaf, pimento loaf, cheese loaf, old fashioned loaf, etc., and each one is essentially “bologna + X” so you pretty much know what it’s gonna taste like.
...except that “old fashioned loaf” does NOT taste like bologna + bourbon + Fruit Loops (obviously).

—Patrick

TIL I'd probably like haggis.
:)
They're actually pretty similar.

Scrapple: pig offal, cornmeal, and spices formed into a loaf.
Haggis: sheep (though often as much, pig these days) offal, oatmeal, and spices formed into a loaf (though usually with an artificial casing in modern times, and not a sheep's stomach).

Biggest difference, to me, is texture. Scrapple has gelatins from the pig head, which make it set up on its own. Haggis doesn't, so it's more pudding/meal texture once it's out of the casing.

Last edited:
I really miss Sisig. Its pig face that after being grilled is chopped into tiny pieces and then fried with chili and spices. served on a hot plate
with rice, egg and calamansi (a type of citrus).

I lived on that stuff when I was a poor college student.

And dont get me started on Dinuguan (blood soup).

I went to highschool and college in the Philippines before moving back to germany.
It irks me that the Filipino commmunity is so tiny here. Have to make filipino food myself since there aree no restraurants that serve filipino food.

figmentPez

Staff member
As a kid I used to love braunschweiger on Triscuit. Then I found out it has liver in it. A few years ago I tried it again, and it's really good, but I don't eat it much because it's really high in fat, salt, etc.

A sweet treat I like is spreading a tortilla with peanut butter, sprinkling on chocolate chips and shredded coconut, then microwaving until warm, then rolling up. (Don't try to microwave until the chocolate is melted, the tortilla will be overcooked. Let the hot PB melt the chocolate while it's rolled.)

As a kid I used to love braunschweiger on Triscuit. Then I found out it has liver in it. A few years ago I tried it again, and it's really good, but I don't eat it much because it's really high in fat, salt, etc.

A sweet treat I like is spreading a tortilla with peanut butter, sprinkling on chocolate chips and shredded coconut, then microwaving until warm, then rolling up. (Don't try to microwave until the chocolate is melted, the tortilla will be overcooked. Let the hot PB melt the chocolate while it's rolled.)

I went to highschool and college in the Philippines before moving back to germany.
It irks me that the Filipino commmunity is so tiny here. Have to make filipino food myself since there aree no restraurants that serve filipino food.
Come to Hawaii for a visit. There is Filipino food everywhere. I haven't tried your favs, but pork adobo, lumpia, and pancit are often brought to our office potlucks. One of my coworkers actully warned me away from blood soup. LOL On another note, ube halaya has become one of my favorite side dishes/desserts since moving here. Delicious stuff though far from disgusting.