You might live in a Police State if...

This is one of those things I just don’t get. Inanimate things are incapable of value judgements, and yet certain people absolutely insist on pretending that they can somehow be coaxed to do so.

@Eriol We’ve discussed that exact pair of videos before. I had hoped people would’ve learned by now.
But no.

—Patrick

This is one of those things I just don’t get. Inanimate things are incapable of value judgements, and yet certain people absolutely insist on pretending that they can somehow be coaxed to do so.

@Eriol We’ve discussed that exact pair of videos before. I had hoped people would’ve learned by now.
But no.

—Patrick
Oh ya, these aren't the first time they've been linked, they just have more importance right now given the "debate" in Germany.

House votes to extend ability for USA to spy on its citizens/within its borders another 6 years.
At least two members of the Senate have vowed to filibuster it, but we will see what happens.

Oh and the FBI is still mad at Apple (and presumably also any other mobile manufacturer) for using encryption that has no back door to allow for FBI surveillance.
FBI forensic expert Stephen Flatley lashed out at Apple, calling the company “jerks,” and “evil geniuses” for making his and his colleagues' investigative work harder. [...] "At what point is it just trying to one up things and at what point is it to thwart law enforcement?" he added. "Apple is pretty good at evil genius stuff. [...However] If you have another evil genius, Cellebrite,then maybe we can get into that front," he said, facetiously coughing as he said “Cellebrite.”
Time to post those videos again, I guess.

--Patrick

Blackstone private equity firm purchases Ancestry.com (and their database) for $4.7 billion.
We look forward to investing behind further data, functionality, and product development across Ancestry’s market leading platform to continue to provide a differentiated service. [...]we will continue to leverage our unique content, powerhouse consumer brand and technology platform to expand our global Family History business while bringing to life our long-term vision of personalized preventive health.
Another spokesman said:
To be crystal clear, Blackstone will not have access to user data and we are deeply committed to ensuring strong consumer privacy protections at the company. We will not be sharing user DNA and family tree records with our portfolio companies.
Still, the fact that its workings are even less transparent now is not reassuring.

EDIT: Forgot to include the link. Fixed.
—Patrick

Last edited:
Blackstone private equity firm purchases Ancestry.com (and their database) for $4.7 billion.

Still, the fact that its workings are even less transparent now is not reassuring.

—Patrick
"We will not be sharing user DNA and family tree records with our portfolio companies. "

For now.

You might live in a Police State if:

You could face 5 years in federal prison for allegedly throwing a bike helmet at a federal officer.
You could be charged with civil disorder for speaking about black lives on a sidewalk.
You could be arrested and sent to federal prison for being in the area of a protest.
You could be arrested and sent to federal prison for riding a bike near a protest site.
You could be arrested and sent to federal prison for being a medic.
You could be arrested and sent to federal prison for singing at the cops.