[Music] yesssssssss new Taylor Swift album and new single!!! Red - October 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
That you adore Taylor Swift unironically is the most ironic thing to which I think I have ever been exposed.

I don't think I've ever listened to any Taylor Swift before. Now I wish I could still say that because that song's pretty terrible.

Zappit

Staff member
I am so curious as to what guy gets burned by America's Most Wholesome Skank this time. She just can't seem to put out new material without a failed relationship behind it.

Much more of a pop sound than before. Hope the albums not like that.
Each album usually has had a couple straight out poppy songs. Fearless didn't sound like "You Belong to Me", Speak Now not wholly like...umm... I'm blanking. I guess "Better than Revenge"? Not sure that was a single.

Zappit

Staff member
lol @ slut shaming and calling Taylor Swift a skank for owning her sexuality in the 21st century
Now it's not really bashing - one of those guys was John Mayer, who looks like the God of Syphilis. THAT guy is full-on slut, which goes beyond skank. It's just that Swift's act feels old, Charlie, and that she's just using guys for her music. I don't see that as owning one's sexuality. I see it as abusing it. To me, owning one's sexuality means actually putting it to work in a relationship that has a chance. Taylor Swift does not appear to do that.

Now it's not really bashing - one of those guys was John Mayer, who looks like the God of Syphilis. THAT guy is full-on slut, which goes beyond skank. It's just that Swift's act feels old, Charlie, and that she's just using guys for her music. I don't see that as owning one's sexuality. I see it as abusing it. To me, owning one's sexuality means actually putting it to work in a relationship that has a chance. Taylor Swift does not appear to do that.
I didn't know you knew her personally and knew all of her motivations

also it's very sex-negative to assume that anyone who enjoys and has a lot of sex has an STD

Zappit

Staff member
I didn't know you knew her personally and knew all of her motivations

also it's very sex-negative to assume that anyone who enjoys and has a lot of sex has an STD
No, I don't know her motivations, but I doubt that there aren't many people who do. However, her music is a business, and the point of business is to make money. She's got a formula that works, and it just happens to require a public break-up. I do think that money is a big motivator. She did just hook-up with a Kennedy.

I happen to think that it's a very negative attitude towards sex that one can look at a...how should I say it..."manizer"? That works. Anyway, to look at anybody who just uses other people and sees it as empowerment - there's a failure to see the bigger picture.

And really, busting my balls over a John Mayer joke? I never even said he was riddled with venereal disease. He just looks that way.

I don't see it as her using relationships to make better music, I just see it as someone who may have been hurt real bad at one point, and is using the pain (not always pain, sometimes hopeful!) to make some catchy songs.

I won't be buying the cd or anything, but I probably won't change the radio station until I hear it for the fourth or fifth time and yell at my radio to stop playing the same songs.

I'm not a big taylor swift fan in general, but that was horrible. I hated that stupid talking in the song. I don't always mind when singers do that, but I thought that was really poorly done.

Not a fan of her music but there's a place for her in the music scene. At least she writes her own songs and plays an instrument. Can't say that about a lot of musicians on the pop scene right now. Well, I'm not 100% sure she plays any instrument but think I've seen her strumming on a guitar in a video.

Status
Not open for further replies.