• Yes! Right away!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sure, why not?

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Meh. Ain't broke, don't fix it.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Don't give a damn.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Not yet. Wait for addons to update as well.

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quit messing with shit, Dave!

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Would the upgrade be included in your current license (and, if so, what's the date limit?), or would it require a fee/payment?

Dave

Staff member
It's included in my current license so that would cost nothing. Some of the 1.x addons have not been updated and the "updates" that ARE for 2.0 have associated costs. For example, the Post Likes addon is 1.x only. There's a new one by a different developer for about $35. So we'd either have to do without it, pay for the new one, or wait for the original dev to update. And that's only the first one I know about.

GasBandit

Staff member
Unless there's a window that's gonna close on us, my first inclination would be to give em at least a couple months to shake out bugs and perhaps allow plugin authors to update. I don't really see anything on that list of features that is a critical improvement over what we're using...

GasBandit

Staff member
For example, the s9e media embed plugin (which allows for things like twitter, youtube, and imgur embeds) isn't updated to 2.0, though the author says "The add-on will need to be completely rewritten for XenForo 2.0 but it will support the same media sites. There is no fixed schedule at the moment but I am aiming to release it shortly after XenForo 2.0 becomes official and supported."

Dave

Staff member
Which is today. And the bugs have been worked out. This is the gold release which means they've squashed bugs. I've been talking to some other admins from different sites and they haven't encountered anything yet.

GasBandit

Staff member
Which is today.
What is today, the closing of the update window? The release of s9e for 2.0? Please clarify.

And the bugs have been worked out. This is the gold release which means they've squashed bugs. I've been talking to some other admins from different sites and they haven't encountered anything yet.

They will be.

They will be.

No software goes from beta to "gold" with all the bugs squashed.

To imply otherwise is charmingly naive.[DOUBLEPOST=1511894729,1511894673][/DOUBLEPOST]Hell, not even 1.5 has all the bugs squashed. If you don't believe me, go into the admin panel and have a look at the error log :p

I like change, especially if it generally improves things. So here is the devil's advocate side:

It looks like there are some nice changes in 2.0. People could post an emoji instead of clicking a like button for a little while, for instance, which might be a nice change of pace. And it looks like Xenforo 2.0 natively supports embedding from a lot of social media sites, even if we wouldn't have all the same ones we had before. I'm guessing Pokemon might go away (for a while) and some other things, so a list of what we'd lose would be nice, of course.

Also, if we already have bugs in this version, what's the difference upgrading to a different (stable) version?

I clicked, "Sure, why not?"

GasBandit

Staff member
I like change, especially if it generally improves things.
When it comes to software updates, in my recent experience, change is almost always bad. No matter what the patch list says :p I'm usually of the opinion that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

However, I'm also aware that to receive support from Xenforo, we have to be on the latest version. So we'll definitely need to update at some point. The question is how to make that transition in the least irritating way possible.

Also, if we already have bugs in this version, what's the difference upgrading to a different (stable) version?
Because the bugs we have, we know are (rarely) forum-shredding. What's in the new version is an unknown unknown. If it were my call, I'd like to see it have some time in the "real world" with a non-beta userbase to get shaken out.

Dave

Staff member
Prudent. Not exciting, but prudent.

For the record, my vote was to wait and see about the addons. There's a few I can live without but there's also a bunch I don't want to.[DOUBLEPOST=1511896058,1511895891][/DOUBLEPOST]And Gas, those admin errors are because of a forum backup we had running with the other host that I hadn't switched off. I have now disabled the backup so most of those errors should stop. So not bugs at all. Merely me breaking things and only we can see that. :)

If twitter embeds go away, I will drive to Omaha and burn your house down.

Or maybe just bitch about it online, but I can promise you I won't be happy.

If likes are replaced with "post an emoji", my post count will soar. And no-one will like me or my posts. Do you really want me multi-quoting 50 posts to add "+1" or "yeah, this" or "uh-huh"?
More seriously, for "serious" issues, there's really no good replacement for a virtual hug.

If likes are replaced with "post an emoji", my post count will soar. And no-one will like me or my posts. Do you really want me multi-quoting 50 posts to add "+1" or "yeah, this" or "uh-huh"?
More seriously, for "serious" issues, there's really no good replacement for a virtual hug.
yeah, this

You don't know what I want!

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, to be accurate, the ability to "like" a post probably wouldn't go away, but it would go back to being the only one. All our custom post-ratings would go buh-bye.

The people that should really only be on the bleeding edge are a) those who have to support it and b) those who have nothing to lose from being on it.

In my 13+ years of working in IT support, I've typically waited for a few months after a new release of a product to make sure any bugs are mostly ironed out or able to be worked around before telling someone to go to the new thing.

Some examples that weren't the best ideas to go to "cutting edge" as these were "cutting edge" at the time: Windows ME, early on in Windows 7 (from release until around SP1), and Windows Vista.

Dave

Staff member
Resurrecting this thread to let you all know I'm creating a test site and am currently getting everything ready for a POSSIBLE upgrade. There are several things that need to happen before I do this, not the smallest of which is a complete re-tooling of our addons. Below you will find a list of addons, what they do, and whether or not I deem them necessary, nice to have, or integrated with the new 2.0. If there's something I have marked as a No please be sure to let me know you can't live without it. If I have it as "No but want" that means I'm already looking for a replacement.

Addons.png

I mean, I guess its not a "must-have" but the ability to hide signatures when someone has multiple posts in a page is wonderful.

Dave

Staff member
I mean, I guess its not a "must-have" but the ability to hide signatures when someone has multiple posts in a page is wonderful.
Yup. The "signature once" thing.

Please note that these old ones that are simple may or may not work with 2.0 but I'm just assuming no.

Dave

Staff member
Same here. I'm hoping it just works, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll disable ALL addons before I do the upgrade and then do them all one by one.