[Soccer] World Cup 2018

No USA playing = Don't care.
Hey at least you've qualified more recently than 1998!

Let me give you some advice - you just need to find someone who's success you're jealous over. If you've got a geographical neighbour who you would normally have a local rivalry with but they're sufficiently better than you that they don't consider you a proper rival - being Scottish I like to use England for this - then you can always cheer on whoever they're playing.

Try getting yourself a MAGA hat* & supporting #AnyoneButMexico.

*Actually don't do this.

I am not English, but I am an England supporter.

England have sent one of the weakest teams in living memory. Apart from Harry Kane, and possibly Raheem Sterling, there are no other world-class players in the squad. All three goalkeepers are quite mediocre and inexperienced (they have something like a combined 15 caps between them), the central midfield options are either painfully average (Jordan Henderson) or terrifyingly unpredictable (Dele Alli), and there isn't really a plan B apart from "knock it up to Jamie Vardy and hope he can outrun the opposition, despite being on the wrong side of 30."

We're gonna get twatted by Belgium, and probably Panama and Tunisia too.

Okay, now that I've gotten the requisite English pessimism out of the way, we're gonna win the World Cup, lads!

I am not English, but I am an England supporter.

England have sent one of the weakest teams in living memory. Apart from Harry Kane, and possibly Raheem Sterling, there are no other world-class players in the squad. All three goalkeepers are quite mediocre and inexperienced (they have something like a combined 15 caps between them), the central midfield options are either painfully average (Jordan Henderson) or terrifyingly unpredictable (Dele Alli), and there isn't really a plan B apart from "knock it up to Jamie Vardy and hope he can outrun the opposition, despite being on the wrong side of 30."

We're gonna get twatted by Belgium, and probably Panama and Tunisia too.

Okay, now that I've gotten the requisite English pessimism out of the way, we're gonna win the World Cup, lads!
I seriously doubt any problems with Panama or Tunisia. And coming in number two in our group is better than number one - you'll avoid Germany.

I seriously doubt any problems with Panama or Tunisia.
That's what they said about Iceland!

And in case anyone needs any reminding, England lost to Iceland 2-1 in Euro 2016. Iceland, remember, has a population of approximately 300,000 people.

Last edited:
That's what they said about Iceland!

And in case anyone needs any reminding, England lost to Iceland 2-1 in Euro 2016. Iceland, remember, has a population of approximately 300,000 people.
Obviously that's still a huge upset, but Iceland has one of the best players in the world, right?

I'm just waiting until after the England game so I can see that trailer they're talking about for the first episode of Series 11.

Wow, what a match. Mexico deserved the win against Germany!
As a fan of the Mannschaft, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed...but quite some match!

Sheesh. Belgium wasn't terribly great, but this match England isn't exactly impressing anyone either.
I'm not prone to excessive Belgian nationalism, but if this level in general doesn't improve, we might actually get far.

Yeah England weren't very good.

Doesn't matter. IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING, FOOTBALL'S COMING HOME... :D

CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF FOOTBALL COMING HOME!

THREE LIONS ON THE SHIIIIIIRT...
Talking of football coming home, there's been suggestions that England is going to bid to host the 2030 WC, either on their own or as part of a UK wide bid. I liked that idea - the infrastructure is in place, there are plenty stadia that can host a world cup game, and I'm in the UK so I could maybe get tickets to some games :D.

Unfortunately I'm not the only one that likes this idea. Sepp Blatter thinks it's a good idea as well. The simple fact that Blatter thinks it's a good idea is enough to make me question whether it really is a good idea. I'm sure I'm committing a fallacy of some sort there, but that's how toxic Blatter is.

Talking of football coming home, there's been suggestions that England is going to bid to host the 2030 WC, either on their own or as part of a UK wide bid. I liked that idea - the infrastructure is in place, there are plenty stadia that can host a world cup game, and I'm in the UK so I could maybe get tickets to some games :D.

Unfortunately I'm not the only one that likes this idea. Sepp Blatter thinks it's a good idea as well. The simple fact that Blatter thinks it's a good idea is enough to make me question whether it really is a good idea. I'm sure I'm committing a fallacy of some sort there, but that's how toxic Blatter is.
I completely understand your leeriness. If it helps, maybe think of Sepp Blatter as a broken clock, and this is one of those times he just happens to be right.

Alternatively, Sepp Blatter is a moronic blow-hard so who gives a shit what he thinks.

I would normally say that I'd severely doubt that England will win the Cup. However, we've had an expansion team in the Stanley Cup finals, the Cubs winning the World Series, and two Triple Crown winners within the last four years. So there's that.

Oh, and this is FIFA. The winner is determined by the largest bribe paid to officials.

I would normally say that I'd severely doubt that England will win the Cup. However, we've had an expansion team in the Stanley Cup finals, the Cubs winning the World Series, and two Triple Crown winners within the last four years. So there's that.

Oh, and this is FIFA. The winner is determined by the largest bribe paid to officials.
But it's in Russia, and so it's real easy for them to hide their steroid use (the Olympics were a test run), and poison their opponents.

Want proof? They've scored 8 goals in 2 games.