[Soccer] World Cup 2014

Bah, I was hoping for an all-European final.
Well, english immigrants brought the sport to Argentina in the first place. Not sure how the german immigrants after WW2 influenced this... *ouch* :whistling:

GF will go to a public viewing on sunday, I'll stay at home for a quiet TV experience.
I already had my honking car freakout tour for World Cup winners back in 1990.
:)

Plus it creates an uneven playing field for the next round of matches. I'd rather be the team who gets to play someone who played 600 minutes in their last match, rather than 90. In contrast, the difference between 90 minutes and 120 minutes isn't as large.

Maybe in extra time / after extra time, they should allow infinite substitutions? Give a team credit for having a deep bench.
I'm scared, because I agree with Charlie on this one. Unlimited substitution in "Extra Time", "Golden Goal" ("sudden death"), and no stoppage time add-ons to 15-minute periods, unless there is an injury, and then only and always 5 extra minutes.

Personally, I want them to go to the penalty kicks sooner. Neither team could score in regulation, so just decide it quickly rather than play a set of mini rounds where (judging from the last few rounds) is likely to go to PKs anyway.

So, it comes down to the Germans, and a country that was built by exiled German war criminals. Interesting.

So, it comes down to the Germans, and a country that was built by exiled German war criminals. Interesting.
Well, a german helped them build up their air force after the war, but not their soocer.
And I bet Galland was more showing off and grandstanding than really doing a proper post war job. ;)

That being said, I'm (well, have to be) carefully optimistic for my country on sunday.

Dave

Staff member
They are fucking demoralized after the beating they took from Germany. Plus they've already stated the consolation game is stupid and that they didn't want to be there.

They are fucking demoralized after the beating they took from Germany. Plus they've already stated the consolation game is stupid and that they didn't want to be there.
Yeah, but so said the dutch as well. I really feel sorry for the Brazil guys, don't like the dutch.

And.... We got our fourth star. Germany is the first european country that won the world cup on south american ground.

And that win was hard-earned and well-deserved!

Fireworks in the neighbourhood, engines revving as people start to race to the nearest city to stand and honk in a giant traffic jam.

Dave

Staff member
Waiting for the software to update. I had Germany 1-0 so I get 3 points. Will it be enough?!?

And that win was hard-earned and well-deserved!

Fireworks in the neighbourhood, engines revving as people start to race to the nearest city to stand and honk in a giant traffic jam.
Same here and I'm right now in a small village with maybe 2000 people.

Same here and I'm right now in a small village with maybe 2000 people.
Hehe, 1.200 peeps here.
But thanks, I had all this back in 1990 already. my gf now just needs to get the last train from the city, she wanted a public viewing once we made it to the final.

Comcast DVR stopped recording just when extra time started, because their tv schedule only reserved that block of time, not accounting for possible extra time, or even trophy presentation.

Dave

Staff member
In the ESPN bracket predictions contest, I was in the top 200. Out of over a million. Not bad! I'd probably have come close to winning it had Spain gotten to the semis.

In the ESPN bracket predictions contest, I was in the top 200. Out of over a million. Not bad! I'd probably have come close to winning it had Spain gotten to the semis.
My best ESPN fantasy performance was the NFL Pigskin Pickem with point spread, ended #2 in the world, lost by one pick. I was double digits every week except one week in the first half of the season where I got 6, which is probably what lost it for me.

Phew. That game was bad for my heart. Was working at a pub where we had beamers and large tvs set up. We were biting our nails and almost had a heartattack each time Messi had a chance at a goal.

Well deserved win.

That was actually pretty exciting. I guess I have a lot to learn about soccer, I didn't realize the first 90 minutes were just the warm-up period. Seems like maybe they should just skip to the actual 30 minute game.

And our team comes home in style!

Special paintjob just for the trip home from Brazil.

Siegerflieger roughly translates as Winner's Plane

I have no TV and due to work the gf's wasn'z running, so I cannot comment on that.
My guess: the first adrenaline rush after the game was gone and now they just felt like bad actors?

Just a last impression I just watched, the Siegerflieger making a fly-by with waggling wings over the waiting crowd in Berlin:

It's not fair putting Clark Kent in the goal though, and that beard isn't fooling anyone.
(Absolute WC record - most shots-on-goal caught by a keeper. Congrats. If only the Belgians could actually learn to finish those actions a bit more often, we might actually have a shot against Argentina.)
Look like he's merely mortal after all.