[Question] Bones the Budding audiophile journey to audio nirvana.

I searched for a bit but didnt see anything recent on the topic so I figured I would ask. I am looking for a decent set of general use headphones, their use will be media and games, and I'd like to spend under 300 bucks. I wear glasses so a set that doesnt make my head hurt after 20 minutes is a must.

an audiophile friend suggested the Sennheiser HD280PRO, but i figured it was worth checking with the forums before i take the plunge.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have an Audio Technica ATH-a700 set, and I adore it. I think the ATH-M50 is the next step up. Listening to music on these things is awesome, years and years of computer speakers (even good ones) make you forget how good music can sound.

figmentPez

Staff member
an audiophile friend suggested the Sennheiser HD280PRO, but i figured it was worth checking with the forums before i take the plunge.
I'm quite fond of my Sennheiser HD280PRO. They've served me very well over the last 6+ years.

Can confirm that Audio Technica makes some really nice headphones.
Only things I can add off the cuff are to restrict yourself to fully enclosed ear cups (otherwise you will have sound bleed) and ones which have a generous depth to the ear cup (to make sure it fully seals). The glasses part, though? That's gonna be difficult, because unless you find a headset that is roomy enough to go fully around your ear without overlap, the ear cup is gonna mash the arm of your glasses between your ear and the side of your head. And even if you do find one with large enough drivers to go around your ears, they're still gonna press the arms of your glasses into the sides of your head.
I have an Audio Technica ATH-a700 set, and I adore it. I think the ATH-M50 is the next step up. Listening to music on these things is awesome, years and years of computer speakers (even good ones) make you forget how good music can sound.
I have been using my pair of ATH-M40ƒs for almost 20 years now, and unless I want to spring for some LCD-XC's, I doubt I could significantly improve my situation.

--Patrick

out of curiosity what do i get by jumping from the ATH-50 to the ATH-70? I think either of whats been suggested would work awesome for what I want but i figure it is worth asking.

M50s are probably overrated at this point, but are fine. HD280s are also fine. Really hard to suggest something without knowing what kind of sound you like, but I might suggest the V-Moda Crossfade M-100 as they're supposed to be super comfy. Also Beyerdynamic DT770s. You can also always roll different pads on there, although they will affect sound (I have these pads on one pair of headphones, they are the most comfortable headphones I have, although there are other good pad options out there).

I dont know what sound i would want either. Im using them for media and games so basically just full sound stage low to high. Beyond that im not really that picky.

out of curiosity what do i get by jumping from the ATH-50 to the ATH-70? I think either of whats been suggested would work awesome for what I want but i figure it is worth asking.
First of all I assume you mean the ATH-M50x and ATH-M70x (there used to be an ATH-M50, but it has been discontinued).
As to the difference, the 70's are 5 grams lighter, have a significantly wider frequency response (5Hz-40kHz vs 15Hz-28kHz for the M50x), and they have lower impedance (don't need as strong of an amplifier). But they are twice the price ($300 vs $150).

--Patrick

I have a pair of Sony MDR7506 that I bought to use at work. They sound good, and are pretty comfortable for my large ears, but make my ears hot like every other pair of over ear sets. They're good enough to block out the white noise in my office without needing active noise cancelling, and only $79.

Amazon product

This seemed like as good a place as any to put this:

Also the price on Audeze's website actually lists $399 so either the price dropped a lot or they're on sale right now?

--Patrick

sooo uhhhh, finally got a pair of ath-m50x and proceeded to upgrade them a bit >_>

ok so I have had my M50s for a few months and I love them, but im ready for something more, where do I go from here?

Depends on the sound signature you want/type of music you like, and how much you want to spend. Cost can ramp up pretty fast for incremental gains, and it's all pretty subjective. Without knowing what you're looking for, I'd suggest getting a pair of open backs, or maybe some planars, so you can get a taste of what other types of headphones can do. Or just go crazy and get some Stax.

where do I go from here?
You don't go anywhere that isn't going to cost you at least $400-500. Or more. Just FYI. But your next step is either going to be something with ridiculously large cups/drivers, or else planars.

--Patrick

hell i dont even know what im looking for, but im chasing the dragon for a more immersive sound. I am mostly using headphones for watching stuff, as much as I love music, its not the focus of my tech. I am using VR to watch video and im just wanting more from what im getting. im not unhappy, I just wondered if I could easily get more bang for my buck by another step up the ladder, or maybe I was missing something. from what you two have said, looks like im priced out of the next step up the tech ladder.

I just wondered if I could easily get more bang for my buck by another step up the ladder, or maybe I was missing something.
Really all you're missing is wider frequency response, dynamics, transients, and audio fidelity, but you will still be limited to 2ch audio. It is not really going to expand your VR soundfield because all the positional cues are still being funneled down to L and R, your audio will just sound better. Will you notice a difference? Most definitely. The M50's may be great at 15Hz-28kHz and 99dB sensitivity, but something like an Audeze LCD-4z can reproduce 5Hz-50kHz at over 130dB sensitivity (and with faster transient response), the question is mainly about whether that increased fidelity is worth spending US$4000 on a set of headphones, ...especially since if the audio hardware in your rig is some bare minimum 20-20k onboard sound chip, all the headphones would do would be to show you how lousy your onboard sound is. It'd be like using a 4K monitor to watch 720p content.

--Patrick

im not using onboard sound, but yeah i hear ya, ok i feel better, and ill no longer wonder if there a better solution(within my budget) I could upgrade too

my god ive fallen down the rabbit hole!
I built a minor Schiit stack, and it has been amazing and life changing sound!
:3

Your first exposure to actual "good" audio (i.e., going beyond the usual 50Hz-20kHz) is always ear-opening, isn't it?

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm really questioning if I can live without the 4 point eq that can be inserted into the stack >_>
Could I interest you in a $3300 Digital Signal Processor with literally infinite point parametric EQ for up to 16 balanced inputs and 8 balanced outputs, with full USB support? :p

I've been looking with no luck. Anyone have any leads on a primer or guide to a first time user of an equalizer? I understand it controls different frequencies but I'd love to learn how to tune them beyond the fiddle fiddle till you get it right.