[Question] wired headphone recommendations?

Reactions
181 66 0
I searched for a bit but didnt see anything recent on the topic so I figured I would ask. I am looking for a decent set of general use headphones, their use will be media and games, and I'd like to spend under 300 bucks. I wear glasses so a set that doesnt make my head hurt after 20 minutes is a must.

an audiophile friend suggested the Sennheiser HD280PRO, but i figured it was worth checking with the forums before i take the plunge.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reactions
2,667 609 13
I have an Audio Technica ATH-a700 set, and I adore it. I think the ATH-M50 is the next step up. Listening to music on these things is awesome, years and years of computer speakers (even good ones) make you forget how good music can sound.

figmentPez

Staff member
Reactions
1,190 159 3
an audiophile friend suggested the Sennheiser HD280PRO, but i figured it was worth checking with the forums before i take the plunge.
I'm quite fond of my Sennheiser HD280PRO. They've served me very well over the last 6+ years.

Reactions
1,154 299 12
Can confirm that Audio Technica makes some really nice headphones.
Only things I can add off the cuff are to restrict yourself to fully enclosed ear cups (otherwise you will have sound bleed) and ones which have a generous depth to the ear cup (to make sure it fully seals). The glasses part, though? That's gonna be difficult, because unless you find a headset that is roomy enough to go fully around your ear without overlap, the ear cup is gonna mash the arm of your glasses between your ear and the side of your head. And even if you do find one with large enough drivers to go around your ears, they're still gonna press the arms of your glasses into the sides of your head.
I have an Audio Technica ATH-a700 set, and I adore it. I think the ATH-M50 is the next step up. Listening to music on these things is awesome, years and years of computer speakers (even good ones) make you forget how good music can sound.
I have been using my pair of ATH-M40ƒs for almost 20 years now, and unless I want to spring for some LCD-XC's, I doubt I could significantly improve my situation.

--Patrick

Reactions
181 66 0
out of curiosity what do i get by jumping from the ATH-50 to the ATH-70? I think either of whats been suggested would work awesome for what I want but i figure it is worth asking.

Reactions
252 52 0
M50s are probably overrated at this point, but are fine. HD280s are also fine. Really hard to suggest something without knowing what kind of sound you like, but I might suggest the V-Moda Crossfade M-100 as they're supposed to be super comfy. Also Beyerdynamic DT770s. You can also always roll different pads on there, although they will affect sound (I have these pads on one pair of headphones, they are the most comfortable headphones I have, although there are other good pad options out there).

Reactions
181 66 0
I dont know what sound i would want either. Im using them for media and games so basically just full sound stage low to high. Beyond that im not really that picky.

Reactions
1,154 299 12
out of curiosity what do i get by jumping from the ATH-50 to the ATH-70? I think either of whats been suggested would work awesome for what I want but i figure it is worth asking.
First of all I assume you mean the ATH-M50x and ATH-M70x (there used to be an ATH-M50, but it has been discontinued).
As to the difference, the 70's are 5 grams lighter, have a significantly wider frequency response (5Hz-40kHz vs 15Hz-28kHz for the M50x), and they have lower impedance (don't need as strong of an amplifier). But they are twice the price ($300 vs $150).

--Patrick

Reactions
252 52 0
basically just full sound stage low to high. Beyond that im not really that picky.
For sound stage open backs are generally better. Maybe Sennheiser Momentums or ATH MSR7. I've not tried either but heard good things.