[WIP] Map of Gaia (Chronicle's of Heaven's Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kitty Sinatra

It looks like the continents are floating over a cloudy sky.

Updated the wiki to the latest map. Mostly playable if you stick to localized areas in the setting instead of being a sky pirate traveling the airy winds.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Interesting, but that leaves a couple things looking weird: The map shows lakes or inland seas; are they water-filled or holes in the ground? And the "coasts" look like they've been shaped by water; were these continents once part of a "normal" planet, or have they always floated in the air?

And just out of curiosity, what do the edge of the continent and its underside look like?

The "lakes" you're talking about are holes. As for the coastlines, they've been shaped by runoff water for millions of years. The landmasses were nearly solid rock when they first cooled and over those millions of years, they were eroded to their current look. The undersides are very mountainous and rocky.

The skylands were created when a planet-sized comet smashed into a trojan planet orbiting a massive gas giant. The comet and the planet fused into the shards and in the process, an alloy called aetherium was formed. The aetherium was charged by energetic particles that gives them their boundless energy to distort gravity.

When aetherium is forged, it loses that energy and must be charged by other means. The Imperial Order of Magi found such a way and created an arms race between kingdoms thousands of years ago. The skyships and the terrible weapons they boasted led to an age of warfare unseen since.

The empire fell, as all empires are wont to do, when every single Magi vanished. At the same time, the world was Veiled from the Heavens. Only Valkyrie and her seven daughters are visible in the night time sky. The world has become a very dark and dangerous place.

K

Kitty Sinatra

The geological history's kinda neat. It raises a couple more questions from my curiosity.

1: If the water is flowing off the continent, is it running dry?

2: Why is the sky of the gas giant blue?

(A world I used when I DMed involved floating continents, too, and I'm just curious about the details you considered when creating it. The "coast lines," water availability were two of the first things I considered, so I'm curious about how your decision making regarding that )

Oh, another question. What's the weather like?

The skylands are massive and still retain the many geological layers common in terrestial planets. Variations in gravity and and elevation create enough stress to maintain the flow of water through the aquifers that feed the rivers. The gas giant is an oxygen/nitrogen gas giant, if such a thing is even possible. =)

The weather is very windy and stormy, but since it's normal weather to the inhabitants, they don't see it as a big deal. At least they don't have to worry about hurricanes or earthquakes. I figure rain/water falls, gets heated in the lower atmosphere and evaporates, rising towards the surface again and again. Similar to the way Hadley cells work on earth, only a little more chaotic.

http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/packs/pla ... 0Giant.jpg

Going to make my own planetary image like that one, since I don't want to pay the multi-hundred dollar license fee for Genetica, heh.

Updated the map again. Has jungles, desert wastelands, and the other continent finished. Just have to add details to the Frostfell, tinker with Tengoku, and it'll be complete! Woot!

North_Ranger

Staff member
Hmmm... That's looks really good, Brigand. Awesome, even.

I was wondering... would you be willing to draw me a quick map for a small future-tech RP I'm planning to run in NationStates? Nothing too difficult, I assure you... just something I could use to give to the players as visual guides.

Status
Not open for further replies.