Windows Media Player 12 Low Memory Issue

Every time I stick in a DVD, Windows Media Player 12 starts up - seems to struggle for a couple seconds, then informs me my memory is low and that I should quit other programs.

Weird thing is, I don't run any other programs. Firefox is probably the only thing going on, and turning that off yields the same message. A quick look as of now shows that it's Firefox and Skype that are taking up space, my main two preferred means of access and communication.

The problem started last week, if not longer, after installing my new Wacom tablet. I went out and got a DVD and popped it in, expecting it to start as normal, then the "Your computer is running low on memory. Quit other programs, and then try again." Naturally I went, looked, ended anything I didn't need, and it went back to it again on the same message.

I did do all that's been said here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ory-help/887b1fdd-6ad5-4444-ba76-3d6bc054fdc5

I've also done turning off Windows Media Player as a feature, restarting the computer, and turning it back on. However, at that point it bugs out and doesn't allow me to turn it back on again. (which in turn forces me to go back to a system restore point to keep everything back to normality again).

I've done a clean boot, which basically cleared everything on the Task Manager up, still get the same message.

The CPU/Memory levels on Task Manager has only spiked once, when running it and the DVD at the same time. However, since cleaning the computer thoroughly it hasn't done it again and shows, honestly, quite a fair bit of free space.

So my only guess at this point is that it's a glitch. If it were as easy as simply turning WMP12 off, and turning it back on, that'd be great -- if it didn't prohibit me from turning it back on. I soon get "An error has occurred. Not all of the features were successfully changed." after that.

I don't think the DVD player itself is dead, as CDs run fine. As for WMP12 as a whole, mp3s, Youtube rips, .avi's, etc. all run fine. It just seems to think it can't run DVDs anymore despite evidence to the contrary.

Right now I'd prefer not to look for an alternative to WMP12; someone suggested I get Media Player Classic and that didn't run my DVD either. (I'm also not a big fan of multiple copies of the same thing, lol). While the option to play DVDs isn't a total loss, it will make my livestreams a little less entertaining as my friends/fans would watch movies with me while I drew.

What is your swap space setting? I ran into issues when I installed my SSD and told windows to manage virtual memory automatically. It set it to zero. I'm now running 1-3GB on my user HDD and it seems okay now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GasBandit

Staff member
I avoid windows media player like the plague, ever since version 8 or 9 or so. I use a combination of VLC and Media Player Classic.

What is your swap space setting? I ran into issues when I installed my SSD and told windows to manage virtual memory automatically. It set it to zero. I'm now running 1-3GB on my user HDD and it seems okay now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know what that is. :confused: Or even how to do that.[DOUBLEPOST=1443740653,1443740322][/DOUBLEPOST]
As is stated, this sounds to me like a virtual memory issue to me. I would like to know how your virtual memory settings are to further diagnose.

If necessary, my computer specs are--

eMachines, EL1360G
AMD E-350 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.60 GHz
4.00GB (3.49 GB usable)
64-bit

Could possibly be pagefile fragmentation, but I really doubt it with ~350GB free.
I will say I usually locked my pagefile to a specific size just to keep it from fragmenting.

--Patrick

what are your other computer spec? just curious. page file seems like it shouldn't be an issue from your current settings but the alternatives in my mind would be really weird to see. Have you tried a different media player? I am also a giant fan of VLC and media player classic and recommend them over anything else. before you reinstalling windows I would give either/both of them a try.

Mind you, I'm always in favor of a fresh install and personally do it at least every 6 months, but I also usually run Debian.

I don't know what other computer specs to show, or if there'd be anything left to show. ^^; I can try VLC as a last resort, though I wouldn't mind hoping to get WMP12 working again.

I don't have a Windows 7 CD I'm afraid, or any blank CD/DVDs in which to create something similar. A fresh reinstall deletes just about everything correct? I'd need more than a few storage USBs and stuff to prepare for it, lol. :/ I'm pretty flat broke at the moment, and trying to get some commissions done. Could be a good while before I prep up something like that, if not a long while.

Another user on Tumblr suggested I take the PC apart, but I'm like, "Uh yeah no, lol, I'm not a computer whiz. I'm better off hiring some computer store tech at the shop." XD