Why are you here*?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andromache

And why do you keep coming here?

Where else do you go? Why?

What do you do when you're not here?

Looking back 5, ten years, did you think this is where you'd end up here?

Where do you want to go next?

(*Here can denote the forum, life, etc)

Dave

Staff member
Strangely enough, my answers are radically different when looked at from a work, forum and life angles.

Forum: I am SO not where I expected to be. I never had a want or need to run one of these places and only started doing so because I had a spurious moment of insanity. But I'm glad I did it as I really enjoy doing it.

Life: I'm pretty much exactly where I thought I'd be, even if there are things I would change. I'm married to a wonderful woman and have two great kids who will be leaving the house while Kerri and I are still young enough to be able to enjoy life. I'd like to have more money, but part of that is my own fault so as long as I have the money to pay the bills and keep things going I'll be all right.

Work: For the first time in my life I'm where I always saw myself. Working a fairly challenging job making a wage I can live on and I am having fun and have a fair amount of freedom. My dream of teaching is becoming a reality and I'm at the age of 44 finally getting to do what I want when I grow up.

Of course, there are things I would change. For instance, I would love to be either a published author, public speaker or even get back into stand-up comedy. But for now I'm content.

C

Chazwozel

I am the great I am. The Alpha and the Omega. I have been here since the heavens began their motion and I will be here when they cease. I am immortal. I have inside me blood of kings. I have no rivals; no man can be my equal.

A

Andromache

I am the great I am. The Alpha and the Omega. I have been here since the heavens began their motion and I will be here when they cease. I am immortal. I have inside me blood of kings. I have no rivals; no man can be my equal.
*taking cue from my kid* Why?

M

makare

I never really imagined joining a forum so I suppose that is a surprise.. I guess? I keep coming here because I like most of the people on the forum and they make it worthwhile.

Life wise I never really thought about my future so every day is just what it is. I hope to someday have a job I like but who knows. I was raised to not really expect future things just kind of go with the flow and hope for the best.

I sadly don't really think of where I will be in "X" amount of years. I sometimes wonder but it always feels wide open with any amounts of possibilities. With life constantly throwing curve balls and my own decisions both good and bad ones make such a huge impact on my life that it feels impossible to truly believe I will be any one place for certain in any amount of time. I can wonder and theorize that I may be there and try to plan so that I can meet whatever changes come my way but for some reason I can never figure out exactly what I will be doing later on in my life cause I never know what new opportunities may arise during the years to come.

But as far as the forum goes I come here cause it is nice to find a group of people who are as insane as I am. Also I can always count on there being at least one person here who shares a particular interest in something I find interesting or fun.

Forum-wise, I'm too lazy to leave.

Life... Well, I had no idea of what going to the U.S. to study would be like, or what impact it'd have on me. I still can't decide if I should've stayed or not, but meh. There's way too many options for future me, so I have no idea where I'll be or what I'll do. Gotta decide between job, graduate studies, start studying medicine in spain, officer crap in the military for citizenship, blah blah blah.

W

Wasabi Poptart

As for the forum, I keep coming back here for the same reason I play games on Facebook - I need something mildly interesting to do while I'm nursing the baby or when she's napping on me. I never thought I'd join another forum after the bad experiences I had with military-related message boards. I swore I'd never join another board. But you guys are fun and more like friends than just usernames on a forum.

As for my life, I never in a million years thought I would be where I am now. I was still single, not even dating any one, when I turned 30. I figured I would not get married or have children and that was fine. If you asked me 10 years ago if I thought I'd ever live in California for 5 years or move to Oahu, I'd have laughed in your face. Stay-at-home-mom? LMAO! No way, not me. I loved working and having my independence. Honestly, I miss that sometimes.

Dave

Staff member
As for the forum, I keep coming back here for the same reason I play games on Facebook - I need something mildly interesting to do while I'm nursing the baby or when she's napping on me. I never thought I'd join another forum after the bad experiences I had with military-related message boards. I swore I'd never join another board. But you guys are fun and more like friends than just usernames on a forum.

As for my life, I never in a million years thought I would be where I am now. I was still single, not even dating any one, when I turned 30. I figured I would not get married or have children and that was fine. If you asked me 10 years ago if I thought I'd ever live in California for 5 years or move to Oahu, I'd have laughed in your face. Stay-at-home-mom? LMAO! No way, not me. I loved working and having my independence. Honestly, I miss that sometimes.
The only thing I took out of that is when you post here you are topless.

C

Chazwozel

:shocked:

Part of me wants to lobby for ladies posting topless to become forum policy.

Why am I here? I suppose because this place would have me.

Why do I keep coming back? Because it's how I keep in contact with certain people.

What do I do when I'm not here? Work, or other productive activities. Heck, I wrote parts of 4 books during that hiatus from here.

Forum: It's like the watercooler for me. I get a few minutes to take a break and not think about work for a little while. Brief socialization.

Work: In part, I'm where I want to be, but only because it is on the way to bigger and better things. I have to bust my ass for the next year to take that next big step, though. This recent round of job applications fell flat because I am lacking a competitive body of published work. That is what has to change, starting now.

Life: I fell in love and got married. That means life is in disarray as we try to consolidate into one home and plan for the future. Part of those plans involve having children but that is something for one or two years down the road. For now, we want to keep things as they are.

Place: I am not fond of the town I am living in. My preference is to move somewhere new, as is my wife's, and it looks like that is what will happen eventually, either next year or the following year. I have absolutely no idea which town I will end up in, but I hope it is warmer than where I am now.

W

Wasabi Poptart

:shocked:[/QUOTE]

What? I sit on the couch with my laptop. LOL! It's not like I need to use both hands since she's old enough to support her own head. Plus she usually falls asleep on my lap and nursing her makes me drowsy, too, unless I'm doing something I need to concentrate on. Not exactly stimulating mother-child interaction there.

L

LordRavage

As I said in another post, this place is like a black hole. Everytime I get out, you guys pull me back in.

But really, I still come here because most of my geeky friends cant get together anymore. Everyone is growing up and acting like mature grown ups. I like coming here because it just seems like everyone still kinda acts like a kid and goof off together. I kinda miss that in my life. Just being silly and pretty much speaking your mind. (Maybe I am having that mid life crisis.) I manage alot of people daily. I am the leader of this village and must act as one. When I come here, I am a nobody and kinda get swept up in everyone else's life. Its nice to not be in charge here. A personal freedom if you will.

When I am not here, I am cracking the whip, steering the ship and putting out fires. This isnt the job or career I thought I would be doing. I kinda fell into it.

I wanted to be an accomplished writer. Spend my days writing novels and doing book signings. I start writing these huge novels and then my interest goes in another direction. My stories tend to be too epic. They overwhelm even me and then I start doubting if the story is any good. Self doubt is a mood and story killer. I thought I would make it in music but I know my talent with that is not the greatest. I do a lot of things just for fun.

I may make it as a writer still. I just have to sit down and start pumping out chapters. Just being creative is my passion. I may change the world but I am still trying to put down the ground work with it.

Amy, you should answer those questions as well. I would like to see what you have to say.

A

Andromache

I ask that question every time I come back.
So.... don't?

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Amy, you should answer those questions as well. I would like to see what you have to say.
you know, people say I'm an attention whore. Maybe I misunderstand the phrase, but to me I'm not here to say ooo, look at me, I'm so special, really, as much as the reason I think I'm here for is to ask you guys all these questions. Truthfully, and without sarcasm, you're all so interesting, when being honest (not saying all of you aren't ever honest here) that I'm really just here to find out why(s) to all my questions. I've always found people at their most honest, to be fascinating.

C

Chazwozel

What? I sit on the couch with my laptop. LOL! It's not like I need to use both hands since she's old enough to support her own head. Plus she usually falls asleep on my lap and nursing her makes me drowsy, too, unless I'm doing something I need to concentrate on. Not exactly stimulating mother-child interaction there.[/QUOTE]

:shocked:

What? I sit on the couch with my laptop. LOL! It's not like I need to use both hands since she's old enough to support her own head. Plus she usually falls asleep on my lap and nursing her makes me drowsy, too, unless I'm doing something I need to concentrate on. Not exactly stimulating mother-child interaction there.[/QUOTE]

Chaz you're making me laugh hard, that's rare.

(that you're funny)

L

LordRavage

Sorry WildSoul...couldnt resist.

I'm here at the forum because I don't have time for socializing outside of work and my family in real life, and being here and on Facebook/Twitter makes up for that to some extent. Also, it takes a long time for a project to build sometimes, and I can't always think of something funny to write about on DLOG.

As far as work, I thought I was going to be a writer, not a computer programmer, but I like it okay and I'm good at it, so there you go. Also, it comes with gobs of job security, which I enjoy a lot.

Home is about the same. I knew I'd have a family and whatnot, but I was always a slacker. When I got married, I was the guy who decided what bills got paid after I scored a bag. Now I'm in charge of the household money, which I keep balanced nicely, and do the majority of the housekeeping and whatnot so my wife can focus on her more-demanding-than-mine career for now. Basically, I've personally done a full 180 since my early 20s.

C

Chazwozel

I am here because my father looked at my mother in a fanciful way as to say, "you wanna bone?" Apparently she responded in kind; five months later they were married, and another 4 months I showed up, grinning and laughing at the two lives I single-handily ruined. MUHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHHAHA

P

Philosopher B.

Man, this place is the tits. I keep coming back because everybody's just so damned interesting and helpful. I feel like I can talk about/ask damn near anything on these boards.

Y'all make me laugh. I've never found another forum that I actually enjoyed.
You know, I've joined a few forums in my time, and this place by far has the raddest bunch of cats.

Seriously, y'all. Let's get a group hug all up in this bitch.

A

Alucard

I mainly come here for the entertainment value.
Plus I consider you guys to be my virtual friends even though I don't coexist peacebly with all of you.
I may sometimes hate your guts but I keep coming back.

M

makare

I mainly come here for the entertainment value.
Plus I consider you guys to be my virtual friends even though I don't coexist peacebly with all of you.
I may sometimes hate your guts but I keep coming back.
So you are saying you are a masochist?

where IS my whip.....

S

Steven Soderburgin

Oh, no, no, I'm not doubting it. But it's not exactly saying much, is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.