Video Game News and Miscellany

Update from Harebrained Schemes Inc, on Battletech:

State-of-the-Game Update
Posted by Harebrained Schemes LLC (Creator)​
Happy New Year Everyone!
We’re excited to report that the team hit their end-of-the-year goals and are on track for a great launch this year. While we don’t have a release date to announce yet, we definitely feel good about the state the game is in.
It’s an amazing feeling to have all the pieces in place and to finally play the game we imagined over two years ago! During the week between Christmas and New Years, we took a step back to review our progress and look for areas that need more attention and now we’re back in the thick of it, fixing bugs, balancing the game, PLAYING the game, and taking action to improve the experience day-by-day.
By and large, BATTLETECH is surprisingly close to the vision we originally pitched in the Kickstarter in September 2015. As anyone who’s made a video game can tell you, it’s incredibly rare to finish a game with all the features you envisioned when you start making it. So while we’re surprisingly close, we’re not perfect.
With release in sight in the next few months, we want to tell you about a few features that were part of our Kickstarter Campaign, but need to be delivered post-launch in order to focus development and testing as we move towards release.
  • Linux support
  • Legendary 'Mechs and MechWarriors
  • Ability to play different types of missions in Skirmish mode (The campaign itself still has plenty of mission types though.)
  • Some Valhalla-tier reward items (specifics TBD)
  • Famous character cameos in the campaign (a Social Mission Bonus from the Kickstarter Campaign.)
  • Famous AI Lances in Skirmish mode (another Social Mission Bonus from the Kickstarter Campaign.)

Rest assured that we are still committed to delivering these features after the game’s initial launch and at no additional charge to Backers.
One other change - instead of a multiplayer experience focused around competitive tournaments & leagues, we've opted for a more friend-focused model of multiplayer functionality. Players can invite each other to matches via Steam/GoG, create private games, and browse public games from the lobby.
Because of this change in direction, we also won’t be delivering a Solaris-themed multiplayer experience at launch. Instead, the game will ship with a diverse set of multiplayer maps across all the game’s biomes to battle on. We recognize that Solaris VII is a great setting for BattleTech experiences, and in success, we still hope to explore different ways to bring Solaris VII to life.
And finally, a feature that wasn’t a Kickstarter commitment but that we talked about online a bunch is Ironman Mode. Unfortunately, that won’t make it in for launch but we’d love to add it later.​

Today is the official V1.0 launch of Subnautica. This is after the official launch was delayed again and again, by at least 1 year in total.

The Subnautica devs have planned an official launch party at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, to commemorate this momentous event. There was a countdown on the Subnautica site, as well as live on Youtube and Twitch, to the start of the event.

The countdown reached zero, and is now counting up.

I find this hilariously appropriate. Given how Subnautica's been delayed so many times so far, it just seems right that the game will be delayed just a bit more on the day of its official launch.

Today is the official V1.0 launch of Subnautica. This is after the official launch was delayed again and again, by at least 1 year in total.

The Subnautica devs have planned an official launch party at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, to commemorate this momentous event. There was a countdown on the Subnautica site, as well as live on Youtube and Twitch, to the start of the event.

The countdown reached zero, and is now counting up.

I find this hilariously appropriate. Given how Subnautica's been delayed so many times so far, it just seems right that the game will be delayed just a bit more on the day of its official launch.
It's okay. The stream is also in Early Access. They're working out the bugs. Subnautica Stream 1.0 will launch soon. :p

In what is gradually becoming a tradition at this point, Divinity: Original Sin 2 got another patch that, once again, breaks almost as many things as it fixes. The patch fixes bugs, adds new gameplay and QoL features, and has a ton of rebalancing tweaks, most of them buffs to make certain powers more useful. New bugs include audio glitches, summoned incarnates having no skills, the fog of war returning on the world map even when you've explored it, and crashes.

I literally just finished a playthrough before the patch hit (seriously, I beat the game, then when I quit Steam started updating) so I think I'll wait a bit for the patch to be patched before I dive in again.

This comes out Feb 27th. Apparently Chris Avellone worked on it, which is an automatic try for me and if I get half as much fun out of this as I did with FTL, I'll be happy.

I don't know. I loved FTL, but this reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics. And that's just not my thing.

Oh well, maybe their next game will be more up my alley.
On the other hand, this reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics and that is totally my thing. That’s a big “Hells yeah!” for me.

Man, I wish I could love these games. I played some of the first one and a tiny bit of the second. And it's fun as hell to travel to different Disney worlds and interact or even play as its characters.

But the story makes about as much sense as a moose with a hat rack. And it's all split up around all those portable games on different systems. Which, yes, I know they're now in collections like KH 2.5 or something, but some of that is just 2-hour movies or something. The whole series is sloppier than a family of pigs at a steakhouse rib buffet.

Man, I wish I could love these games. I played some of the first one and a tiny bit of the second. And it's fun as hell to travel to different Disney worlds and interact or even play as its characters.

But the story makes about as much sense as a moose with a hat rack. And it's all split up around all those portable games on different systems. Which, yes, I know they're now in collections like KH 2.5 or something, but some of that is just 2-hour movies or something. The whole series is sloppier than a family of pigs at a steakhouse rib buffet.
At this point, I think Kingdom Hearts 3 needs to ether come with a small Jimminy Journal to let everyone know what happened or a fucking movie. And they've done this before; Advent Children came with a 40+ minute "Memories of Final Fantasy 7" movie to give an indepth retelling of the FF7's story.

I'm a fan and I STILL don't know what happened during Dream Drop Distance.

This is the most bizarre alternate universe I've ever slid through. I bet the Orville is hilarious here, too.

Or did you mean GTA 5?
It's a good fish out of water story with a lot of immigrant-related humor. I also find a lot of the characters ridiculous in that GTA-series larger-than-life way that makes them very fun to interact with.

It's a good fish out of water story with a lot of immigrant-related humor. I also find a lot of the characters ridiculous in that GTA-series larger-than-life way that makes them very fun to interact with.
Interesting.

I found it to be such a slog. and my experience was probably made far worse by deciding to play it right after finishing Saints Row 2 (which I count as my favorite game, even though it's never been fun to replay )

Man, apparently I backed Bloodstained at a level that gets me a physical copy of the game. Now I have to make that hard choice, do I just get the PC copy to play as it's 99% of where I'm going to play it, or do I get a physical Switch version, which will be a sweet collectible to hold onto.

figmentPez

Staff member
I was hoping for a Flash game myself (the FEAR takedown system in Arkham Knight seemed like a leadup to The Flash taking down a dozen or more guys in a chain like that), but I will be excited by a good Superman game.

figmentPez

Staff member
New Steam Apps to Extend Service Offerings
Two free new apps — the Steam Link app and the Steam Video app — are preparing for launch in the coming weeks, both designed to extend Steam’s suite of services and accessibility.

The Steam Link app, slated to launch the week of May 21st, allows gamers to experience their Steam library of games on their Android (phone, tablet, TV) and iOS-based (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV) devices while connected via 5Ghz network or wired Ethernet to a host system (Mac or PC), with Android access initially offered in beta. The Steam Link App will feature support for the Steam Controller, MFI controllers, and more across both platforms.
TLDR; Steam is getting an an app on Android to stream your games to your phone/tablet.