When should I tell her I'm leaving to go overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Dave or Jay,

So I've started to date this girl. We started off on eHarmony and talked with each other for a few weeks. Then we had our first date last weekend and she's already planning on coming down to College Station for a weekend (she lives in Waco). We communicate on a daily, reciprocal basis and we're both comfortable with it.

There is no problem with the dating relationship. She's really cool and I'm starting to like her. She's also dropping hints about "things to come" and saying she's excited to see me again. But there is a bit of a situation because I am returning to Qatar at the end of the month. My flight leaves on August 31 and I won't be back until early December. I have a non-teaching position so I won't have to stick around for finals, which means I can leave a couple weeks early. The contract ends in December so when I leave Qatar I'll be leaving for good.

Honestly, I didn't mention it to her because I didn't think it would matter at first. It also isn't something you typically say upon meeting someone. I originally didn't expect this relationship to even start because EVERY other girl I've dated this summer has brushed me off or given me the cold shoulder after the first date. But this girl is saying that she wants to go to Midnight Yell with me. For the non-Aggies here, Midnight Yell is held at Kyle Field the night before every Texas A&M home game. The Yell Leaders lead everyone in the traditional school cheers and the Aggie War Hymn. Towards the end, the stadium lights dim and you make out with your date. She wanted to buy the two of us tickets for First Yell next month (the first Midnight Yell of the season) and that's a huge event. I told her to hold off on that because I'll be out of town that night, which is true enough.

I was thinking about waiting until the third or fourth date, if it lasts that long, then telling her as gently as possible when she's in the best mood possible. If she wants the relationship to continue, I'll offer to fly her to Qatar for a week or so in the middle of the semester. That way we'll have two relatively short 6-week breaks instead of an entire semester without seeing each other. Plus she said she wants to travel.

So what do you think is the best way to break the news to her? I really want to tell her, especially if the relationship progresses, but I'm not sure when the best time would be.

Having been in this situation as the girlfriend in a young relationship whose boyfriend was leaving to be stationed in Sicily for two years I say tell her as soon as possible. Don't beat around the bush or sugar-coat things. Be honest about your situation as well as your feelings for her and what you want from your relationship. Let her decide if she thinks she can maintain a long distance relationship. My boyfriend (now husband) told me he wanted me to be his girlfriend, but he understood if I didn't think I could do it. Granted, two years is a lot longer than 3-4 months, but long separations can be hard and long distance relationships are not easy to deal with especially when the relationship is new. You might be able to start talking about it by telling her why you can't go to the Midnight Yell. You said you'll be out of town, but you should tell her the rest of the story too.

Spend the weekend with her. Be cool about it. Treat her well. And it'll give you a good idea on how things are going with her.
If you're still talking next week, tell her that you'll be gone for 3 months to fulfill a commitment and you didn't want to ruin something in the works.

Okay, I'll tell her after the next time we go out. We've both got finals next week, so I'll ask her about next weekend. This is solid advice and I shall follow it. Thanks a lot.

Wait until that last day you'll see her, and tell her you waited so you could spend the rest of your time together without sadness, and to make your exit as traumatic as possible.

Wait until that last day you'll see her, and tell her you waited so you could spend the rest of your time together without sadness, and to make your exit as traumatic as possible.
Sounds like good advice to me! A couple more weeks of potentially fun relationship while being guilt-ridden and hiding things for her more than makes up for keeping her in the dark up to the last moment and destroying your chance at a long-term relationship.

Sounds like good advice to me! A couple more weeks of potentially fun relationship while being guilt-ridden and hiding things for her more than makes up for keeping her in the dark up to the last moment and destroying your chance at a long-term relationship.
It'll work, just like in the movies or overblown tv season finales.

Just leave. Without saying a word. Let rumors fly about the possibility of your demise or that you've been kidnapped by the mob. Do not contact anyone the entire time you are in Qatar. Then show up at home out of the blue. She will be so happy that you're alive and well that it won't matter if you've been gone for 4 months. And if this goes along the same lines of the soap opera I just wrote about she will tell you she had your baby while you were gone and gave it up for adoption to a woman who will turn out to be your long lost sister that has harbored a deep-seated hatred for your family ever since she was run out of town for marrying a man who was involved in a scheme to "steal" the city's newspaper in a hostile take over.

Dave

Staff member
Tell her you have to go overseas on a "mission". Tell her you can't talk about it and if you come back you'll pick up where you left off. Then put your hand to your ear and mumble something, look wildly around and sprint out of the room yelling, "How did they FIND me?!?"

Tell her you have to go overseas on a "mission". Tell her you can't talk about it and if you come back you'll pick up where you left off. Then put your hand to your ear and mumble something, look wildly around and sprint out of the room yelling, "How did they FIND me?!?"
Oddly enough I was just going to come post pretty much exactly this. Great minds...

Well, I told her. Due to various circumstances on both our ends, I had to send her an email. She said she'd need to think about it, but she's still talking with me and is now starting to begin her sentences with "If we get together long-term..."

So... good, right?

Believe me, I wish I could have told her in person. But, between my preliminary exams preparations (they start tomorrow) and her family up and about, an email was the best way. We'd been texting back and forth all evening, but I didn't want to send it to her via text because that's just lame.

Believe me, I wish I could have told her in person. But, between my preliminary exams preparations (they start tomorrow) and her family up and about, an email was the best way. We'd been texting back and forth all evening, but I didn't want to send it to her via text because that's just lame.
I'm not judging. If it worked out, great, and good luck to you both.

I'd have just picked up the phone.

She made her decision. She said that she's not ready to travel such a long way to visit someone (she doesn't even have a passport). But she wants to keep getting to know me and wants to stay in touch while I'm gone. She also said something about it being more special when I get back, and then informed me that she wants to visit this weekend.

So I guess that's good. :D

As an aside, how does a 29-year-old not have a passport?

I'm 43 and don't have a passport. Just a few years ago, I did not need one for Canada or Mexico. I think my dad was 75+ before he got his first one.

She made her decision. She said that she's not ready to travel such a long way to visit someone (she doesn't even have a passport). But she wants to keep getting to know me and wants to stay in touch while I'm gone. She also said something about it being more special when I get back, and then informed me that she wants to visit this weekend.

So I guess that's good. :D

As an aside, how does a 29-year-old not have a passport?
I'm 27 and don't have a passport. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the majority of 29 year olds do not have one.[DOUBLEPOST=1344832152][/DOUBLEPOST]

That is, assuming we're talking about America. If Europe, then yeah, that would probably be weirder.

I've had a passport all my life. Even though I don't need one for international travel, it's nice to have one when I go to places that are occupied by the military and I don't want to be associated with the military.

Guess the old stereotype of Americans holds true still huh?
I've had a passport since I was 12 :confused:
I live in a border state and can drive 800 (1300km +/-) miles in all but one direction and not hit a foreign nation. It is still 400 miles for me to reach Mexico. So the stereotype is true we are a large nation.

Notice where I made the distinction between America and Europe? It's more common to need a passport in Europe than America. I can drive the length of Europe across America and never hit a foreign border.

And I'm not even sure if a passport is needed to go to Mexico or Canada.

If you're trying to get into Canada from the USA I'm pretty sure you need a passport now. We Canadians certainly need them to get into the USA.

I've had a passport since I was a wee lad. I have passports for my little ones too (ages 3.5 years and 10 months).

You should have staged your trip like a kidnapping my international spies. Invite her over, but trash your place before you leave. An hour or so before she would get there send her a message about "something came up but I should have it dealt with by the time you're here. Still though, I want you to know I care about you just in case"

3 months later show up bruised and bloodied only able to say "mission accomplished" before passing out in her arms. (bonus points, pay someone to be blasting some Aerosmith nearby for added effect)

When she asks about it later just stare off into the distance for a few seconds and say "It's done. I'm out. I don't want to talk about it"

GasBandit

Staff member
"Don't be intimidated by Europeans who can speak 11 different languages. Cause in Europe, it's often a half hour to two hour drive to go from one language to another. In America, you can drive for 8 days and not run into another language." - Bill Cosby

"Don't be intimidated by Europeans who can speak 11 different languages. Cause in Europe, it's often a half hour to two hour drive to go from one language to another. In America, you can drive for 8 days and not run into another language." - Bill Cosby
Que?

Status
Not open for further replies.