[Question] What would you like to forget just so you could discover it all over again?

Dave

Staff member
This could be music, a book, a TV series, movie. Anything. You can erase everything about it from your mind so that you can see it/hear it/feel it again for the first time.

What is your one thing?

Star Control 2.

It's my favourite game of all time and I can tell you blindly exactly where everything is, how to get the best biological units and minerals early on, which order to do stuff in etc.

I would LOVE to experience it fresh and get that feeling I had as an 11 year old experiencing it for the first time.

Dave

Staff member
For me it would be the music of Pink Floyd. Which, by the way, was what prompted the question. I was watching some YouTube videos and I came across one of those "I'm hearing this for the first time!" and thought man. That would be so nice to get to "discover" Pink Floyd all over again.

Does it have to be a type of media? I'm having trouble narrowing it down.

This might be bending the rules a bit, but I'd want to do my first year of color guard again. The music, the choreography, the perfoming... it was such a high. And winning finals! The first time in our band's history! I don't think I've had that kind of excitement in a long time.

I'd like to walk out of Vault 101 in Fallout 3 for the first time again.

I'd like to discover Monty Oum's work for the first time again, may he rest in peace.

The first time I started playing EverQuest, and just how huge the world was and everything you could do in it was amazing to me. No other MMO has captured me quite like that one did

The first time I started playing EverQuest, and just how huge the world was and everything you could do in it was amazing to me. No other MMO has captured me quite like that one did
Ocarina of Time did that for me. Once you finally get out of the cramped Kokiri Forest and get out onto Hyrule Field, it just seems so vast.
I didn't experience anything else even close to that again until I hit Morrowind.

--Patrick

World of Warcraft- That was such an incredible game. Especially the beginning zones, really trapped me. The first quick travel eagle flight just brought sheer joy to me.

Iron Man only this time knowing to wait through the credits for the post credits scene instead of reading about it on the internet.

I have been thinking about this one for a while and I honestly don't know the answer to it. My initial response was going to be the Original Trilogy of Star Wars. But then I started thinking about all of the other movies and the current state of not only the franchise but also the fandom and I question if I would really want to get into all of that now. I wasn't even born yet when the first Star Wars came out, so I grew up with those movies and that is why my connection is so strong. I don't know I could recreate that if I was just getting into it now.

Maybe a better answer would be getting into board gaming all over again. I was introduced to the golden age of gaming through one of my friends showing me Fluxx and a couple of other games. I then went and started investigating what other new games were out there and discovered sites like Shut Up & Sit Down and web shows like Wil Wheaton's Tabletop. I got my other friends into it and we have been having a weekly game night for a couple of years now. The sheer amount of games that are coming out and the escalating quality means there is a game out there for everyone. It might be fun to start over with all of that and see which direction I'd go this time.

He's got other works that aren't as strong. I think I like the Long Earth series least, but even those are good. Strata, etc, all good or great.