[Question] What would you do with a 10 hr layover at JFK?

My family is going to Italy for a conference and some sight-seeing. We got an incredible deal on the tickets, but the catch was a super-long layover in NYC. We're treating it as a part of the vacation/adventure and would like to spend a few fun hrs in NYC. What would you guys do with 6-7 hrs in the Big Apple?

We're happy taking the subways. We wouldn't mind catching a glimpse of lady liberty, but don't need to go to it (last time we were there we took the Staten Island ferry from Battery Park to see it). We want to eat some good food - anything really. My wife and I both love authentic Chinese. Dim sum or a good noodle place would be groovy. Japanese ramen would be welcomed. Honestly any cuisine as long as it's good.

We have two little girls so something interesting for them would be nice. Is Central Park Zoo worth it? We've never been to Central Park so that's an option.

Since JFK is near Brooklyn, should we just stay in the borough? We've never really seen it.

Thanks!

My family is going to Italy for a conference and some sight-seeing. We got an incredible deal on the tickets, but the catch was a super-long layover in NYC. We're treating it as a part of the vacation/adventure and would like to spend a few fun hrs in NYC. What would you guys do with 6-7 hrs in the Big Apple?

We're happy taking the subways. We wouldn't mind catching a glimpse of lady liberty, but don't need to go to it (last time we were there we took the Staten Island ferry from Battery Park to see it). We want to eat some good food - anything really. My wife and I both love authentic Chinese. Dim sum or a good noodle place would be groovy. Japanese ramen would be welcomed. Honestly any cuisine as long as it's good.

We have two little girls so something interesting for them would be nice. Is Central Park Zoo worth it? We've never been to Central Park so that's an option.

Since JFK is near Brooklyn, should we just stay in the borough? We've never really seen it.

Thanks!
For Chinese food in NYC, there is just one word. FLUSHING.

Yeah, Flushing. My brother goes to a dim sum place called Good Kitchen in Flushing every week and seems to like it.

Jun and I hit a couple Chinese food courts and had a blast last time we were up there.

The Golden Mall may look a little run down, but the Tianjin Dumpling House is an absolute must. Xi'an Famous Foods is um... famous... for it's spicy lamb "burger" (not really a burger). They used to be in the Golden Mall, but have apparently moved since my last trip.

The New World Mall food court is simply Chinese food heaven.

You're better off staying in Queens, because honestly, getting in and out of JFK can be a nightmare. You will probably have less time than you think you do just because of transportation.

Having said that, Flushing is an excellent choice for eating. For entertaining the whole family, just go to Flushing Meadows, former home of the World's Fair. It's a huge park that has the Queens Zoo (bigger and cheaper than Central Park zoo), Museam of Science, which has mini-golf and a bunch of kid-friendly exhibits, Citifield and Arthur Ashe Stadium for the sports fans, and in front of Citifield you can catch the 7 train which will bring you into Main Street, Flushing, in the heart of all the yummy restaurants. There is a great new hot pot place right by the subway I highly recommend, and it has a fantastic tea place one floor below it.

You're better off staying in Queens, because honestly, getting in and out of JFK can be a nightmare. You will probably have less time than you think you do just because of transportation.
Good to know. We don't want to knock ourselves out, but anything beats hanging out in an airport. Thanks!

Dave

Staff member
I was going to say the same thing. You're better off just staying in the airport. An hour and a half to get back in (conservative number - could be more) and navigating the airport. This means you'll have 3-4 hours at the most to enjoy whatever, and you'll be running the entire time. I know it would be boring as shit, but I'd stay there. But that's just me.

I googled what to do at JFK and got some interesting hits.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wha...2.69i57j0l5.8079j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

No matter what it sounds like a lot of fun, just don't stress yourself out before you even get to your vacation!

Dave

Staff member
Thanks Dave! It's good advice. I tend to over-exert on vacations instead of chilling and soaking up the place.
I'm speaking from the "traveling with a wife and tired kids" experience. :)

There was one time we had a layover in Minneapolis and it was pretty long. We were going to go into town, but instead did a little shopping, ate some stuff, and just hung out. It was boring after a while, but I think it was still better than had we tried to do too much.

The thing about 10 hours is that it's too much time to sit with your thumb up your ass, but it's not enough time to do anything meaningful without running.

10 hour layover at a smaller Airport is plenty of time to do something touristy, but at big airports it can just add to the stress.

I'm speaking from the "traveling with a wife and tired kids" experience. :)

There was one time we had a layover in Minneapolis and it was pretty long. We were going to go into town, but instead did a little shopping, ate some stuff, and just hung out. It was boring after a while, but I think it was still better than had we tried to do too much.

The thing about 10 hours is that it's too much time to sit with your thumb up your ass, but it's not enough time to do anything meaningful without running.
Yeah, MSP's airport is probably a great place to have a long layover - something I should know (had a four hour one there last month when we flew back to WI after driving out here with my car).

fade

Staff member
I know this is long past, but last time I got stuck with a long layover like this, I booked a last minute, dirt-cheap room in one of the airport hotels and showered and slept.