What, no Pokemon Go thread?

Anyone done a raid yet? They're interesting. Completing one gives you a chance to catch a normal pokemon of the type you fought against (so if you battled and won against a Flaeron you can go into a bonus to catch the Flaeron). Also you get things like candies that can be changed into any type, as well as a Golden Razz Berry, a souped up Razz Berry.

Unfortunately the pokemon from the Gym isn't necessarily going to be any good. Both of the times I fought and won a raid they turned out to be in the 70's for CP.

Yeah, I've won and caught a magmar, iv in the 80s. They're supposedly in the "egg" category for ivs, so better chances of good or at least decent ivs but not guaranteed to be great. I got some rare candy and golden razzberries.

Did a solo raid against a 1000CP Magikarp (happened to come across the open raid), won 2 rare candies and caught the 100-something magikarp afterwards. I'm not near any gyms long enough to be able to afford to wait an hour for a big raid to begin.

Apparently earning gold is up, or maybe just depends on how many battles, had a Gengar in a gym for just over 2 hours and earned 11 gold. I've had one in a gym since yesterday, but haven't gotten anything yet. I'll post how much when it comes back.

Oof. This new gym system is tough. It's going to be much harder to turn over gyms now.
Just try and focus on killing the one pokemon at a time and leave battle so you can use all the pokemon you have that are good against it without having them get beat up by their possible counts after the fight. Also I am predicting that active defenders will go down once people start running out of berries that they may have stockpiled. I was blocked taking a few gyms because people were healing the gym.

I also think what this update did was make busy gyms which had high turnover such as at malls harder to turn over because you can dump 6 pokemon right away and berry them to deter attackers. However I think more remote ones will be easier just because no one will be around to heal and if you are with fellow team members you can just plunk 6 guys on takeover instead of only 2 then having to waste potions leveling up your own gym.

Also, it's little use trying to keep a gym indefinitely. You get the max of 50 coins after, what, 8 hours in total?
So there should be higher turn-over since it isn't always interesting to keep your Pokémon berrie'd up.

I'm so ok with this. I never held more than one gym at a time and gyms were hotly contested where I am. This is a vast improvement over the previous system to me!

I'm so ok with this. I never held more than one gym at a time and gyms were hotly contested where I am. This is a vast improvement over the previous system to me!
FOr me too. I've actually managed to get some 70+ coins over the past few days. Not the maximum by a longshot, but much better than before. Most gyms here were level 10 with CP3000+ Pokémon in there. Trying to bring down a gym with 4 Blisseys, 4 Tyranitars and 2 Dragonites (or such variations) was just an exercise in boredom and frustration. That meant the top players could keep on getting 100 coins per day while us smaller shrimp got nothing or maybe 10-20 coins per day.

I miss being able to immediately collect at least 10 Pokecoins. There are a 8-9 gyms in the immediate area of our house, and you could earn 80-90 coins, even if you didn't hold them more than an hour. Some gyms got sat on for weeks at a time, but other ones would turn over pretty quick, but everyone got their coins with the quick retrieval. In fact, we usual learned each other's collecting patterns, so we knew what time was good to get into gyms and share the space.

With the new system, not a lot of that has changed. Some people are still sitting on Gyms with berries, and it feels like it's wasting more Revives/Potions when battling. Also, the local schedule for people on other teams is all messed up now. But mostly we're getting even less reward for more work now.

The problem with the old system is it encouraged GPS spoofing. This was a serious problem here in Milwaukee before the update. Now it is easy to get into a gym. Give it time- holding gyms isn't as good as having it turn over and eventually people will be berry starved

The problem with the old system is it encouraged GPS spoofing. This was a serious problem here in Milwaukee before the update. Now it is easy to get into a gym. Give it time- holding gyms isn't as good as having it turn over and eventually people will be berry starved
This was why I gave up. The spoofers were getting into places that were locked up for the night or even the weekend. Not worth the bother when the cheaters had already won.

This was why I gave up. The spoofers were getting into places that were locked up for the night or even the weekend. Not worth the bother when the cheaters had already won.
Well, yes...When the security guard who's 100% sure there's nobody else anywhere on the site, kilometers around, can see his gym changing colors, you know something'swrong :p

Though the new anti-spoofing measures seem to be having some effect.

FOr me too. I've actually managed to get some 70+ coins over the past few days. Not the maximum by a longshot, but much better than before. Most gyms here were level 10 with CP3000+ Pokémon in there. Trying to bring down a gym with 4 Blisseys, 4 Tyranitars and 2 Dragonites (or such variations) was just an exercise in boredom and frustration. That meant the top players could keep on getting 100 coins per day while us smaller shrimp got nothing or maybe 10-20 coins per day.
Just like real life!

--Patrick

Oh man, this has been AMAZING. Loving the new Raids and the Gyms. Wife and I just missed a Tyranatyr (SP) and had to pass on trying it ourselves (LOL!). However, it now doesn't seem impossible that we can get these super strong Pokemon or worry that we won't luck into it.

Plus, the gyms are great. 50 Coins in a day is much better than hoping you can get into dozens of gyms that are super hard to train up or take over from others. The new system encourages weird, not perfect Blissey's or Dragonites and instead I'm seeing super awesome groups of things like Ursaring or other pokemon. Been a super blast to play again!

Coincidentally, I ran into a red headed trainer named Kelcey today. Almost literally ran into, she had stopped in the path to play. Hopefully the real CeltZ has better situational awareness :p

Love these raid battles. Total blast! The best bit is the rare candies you can turn into any other candy. Now I have hope of maxing out my Tyranetar.

Love these raid battles. Total blast! The best bit is the rare candies you can turn into any other candy. Now I have hope of maxing out my Tyranetar.
Yup. I have now reached 100 Dratini candies, and I'm contemplating evolving my decent-IV Level 12 Dragonair, or one of my Dratinis.

I haven't participated in a single gym battle or a single raid battle. Because the app keeps lagging and crashing on me now.

This sucks. This may be the end of my Pokemon Go journey, at least until I upgrade my phone.

Honestly I don't know. I haven't fired up Sun ever since I completed the pokedex by transferring all my old pokes over via the Pokebank.

North America gets almost none of the fun event Pokemon that are released overseas. I'm hoping that the ones that were released earlier this year in other countries will eventually be released here too :)

Oh sorry, I was talking about Sun and Moon event Pokemon. There are a crazy amount of super cool special event Pokemon released overseas, most often in Japan, that never get released here. I was able to trade for a Hat Pikachu, but there are five other Hat wearing pikachus (from the different regions in game) and tons of other event Pokemon that are almost impossible to find people willing to trade.