What, no Pokemon Go thread?

Dave

Staff member
My daughter and her boyfriend play. Apparently there's a couple gyms real close to where we live. They went out last night and met a nerdy teenage guy who was just kind of lurking. He thought that he'd be made fun of and my daughter just said, "The Evee?" His face lit up.

Another guy I know just stays in his van and drives slowly past the places. Until I pointed it out he didn't realize that might seem kind of creepy, like he's not just here for the Pokemon.

This game's popularity is one of the best chances for our Dennou Coil future to come true.

The pokeymans near my house suck, just Pidgey/Spearrow/Caterpie/Ratata over and over D: I just want a Beedrill dangit.

Dave

Staff member
Something I think is funny (in a tragic kind of way). A buddy of mine had a start-up and they designed a game exactly like this with a super hero/villain theme. You went places and could attack or defend the locations. Didn't do well. Ahead of his time. Yes, it was before Niantic.

Anyway, here's a heartwarming story.

I had to log into my account almost every time I turned it on, and I chose google for it. I have google two factor authentication, and the app doesn't save cookies, so every login sequence was username, enter, password, enter, go to google auth app, remember number, go to pokemon app enter auth number, enter, and then it would finally work. If I only had to do it once a week it wouldn't bother me, but several times a day was too much. Then the news about how they mismanaged permissions for google.

So I started a regular account, much nicer, just a username and password. Also got pikachu as my first catch (walk away from the starter group several times and eventually the starter group includes pikachu). Just to make my kids jealous.

I doubt I'll play it much, but it's nice to have something to hand off to a kid once in awhile.

I joined team yellow and my bellsprout got the shit kicked out of him by a weird lady in blackface and a wig. But that was a yellow gym so I was surprised I could try to fight there.[DOUBLEPOST=1468343073,1468342637][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, also I got to work like 5 minutes early so I could stop at the pokestop at the far end of the parking lot. Keep in mind it's like 4:50am and I'm just idle outside a peiwei. A cop passes by and then follows me as I drive back over to my starbucks 'cause my manager showed up to open the store. He rolled down his window when I got out of my car and asked why I was parked over on the far side for a bit but laughed when I explained it.

I joined team yellow and my bellsprout got the shit kicked out of him by a weird lady in blackface and a wig. But that was a yellow gym so I was surprised I could try to fight there.
Gyms are controlled by "prestige". The higher the prestige, the higher level the gym. A gym can hold 1 pokemon for every level. A level 2 gym can hold 2 pokemon. A level 6 gym can hold six.

When you attack an enemy gym, you can choose 6 pokemon to attack with and you lower the prestige level if you fight well. This will eventually lower the level of the gym and kick out the weakest pokemon. Lower it enough and it becomes "neutral" and you can put one of yours in there to take it over. You also get decent experience. In these gym battles, your pokemon can go to 0 hit points and require a revive potion to bring back to 1 before healing up with healing potions.

When you "train" (attack) your own gym color, you choose 1 pokemon. If you do well, it raises the gym prestige, allowing more people from your team to put pokemon in there to defend it. The xp gain is small. In these fights, pokemon will not "die" but will faint at 1 hp and not require a revive before healing.

You can keep 1 pokemon at any gym at a time. You get a bonus every day by clicking the "Shop" icon and clicking the shield in the upper right. The bonus is 10 coins + 500 stardust for every gym you have a pokemon in. The max bonus you can get is 10 gyms worth.

Dave

Staff member
On Facebook someone said something about Pokemon Go being better than the endless political posts. I replied that i was looking for a wild Berniemon. He replied that he wanted a Trumpachu.

I thought that was funny so I googled it.

Dave

Staff member
Okay so as I was leaving work today I noticed that there were a lot of cars in the parking lot. Turns out there are three Pokestops on my campus. Yet nobody was really aware of this. So I engaged a couple of them and walked them around, finding out what was what. Then I high-tailed it to marketing. I told them about the cars, and the traffic, and everything else. Our university has the reputation of being for adult learners and such so we get people thinking we are for "old people". We have stuff for younger kids although we don't have things like dorms, etc. If we jump on this and do an event that puts a spotlight on Pokemon Go, we might be able to get a little positive pub out of this. I let them know that we need to jump on this while it's hot.

So right now my only real idea is to have three booths set up - one for each team - set out lures, and let the students know in campus emails and social media. My daughter thinks it's a great idea.

What do you guys think? I'm not expecting people to come on campus and immediately sign up for classes, but if we get positive rep for being open to younger people, maybe we'll draw some people in.

I think it's a good idea. I know that there are bars in my area sending email to Niantic asking to get Pokestop status so they can use it for lures and stuff.

What do you guys think? I'm not expecting people to come on campus and immediately sign up for classes, but if we get positive rep for being open to younger people, maybe we'll draw some people in.
It could work. Every time I throw a lure down around here, all the kids in the town come out of the woodwork to congregate at it.
Besides, everyone's getting on the bandwagon. Check this out