[Comics] What Manga are you reading?

GasBandit

Staff member
I usually don't go in for manga, personally, a lot of the artwork makes it hard to follow, in my experience.

But every so often, I do come across one that is drawn in a good, clear style (or at least has enough of a compelling story to put up with overstylized garbage).

So here's what's on my pull list over at Mangakakalot.com these days:

(DarkAudit will probably recognize many of these, as I found them thanks to his suggestions)

A Story About Treating A Female Knight Who Has Never Been Treated As A Woman As A Woman.
Yes, that's the title AND the premise. Fairly new into its run, it's a tsundere thing. Low fanservice.

Tomo-chan Wa Onnanoko!
Tomo and Jun have been friends since they were little kids. Only now has Jun started to notice that Tomo is a girl... cute girl. This complicates things. Safe.

Tamen De Gushi (Their Story)
A slice-of-life story revolving around two chinese girls in high school discovering their attraction to each other, and the antics of their close friends. Entirely work-safe and innocent.

Cohabitation With The Fiancee
A middle schooler's life is turned upside down when he learns his father has engaged him to marry a 24 year old woman, who is coming to live with them. Moderate fanservice.

Boku No Heya Ga Dungeon No Kyuukeijo Ni Natteshimatta Ken (My apartment is a dungeon's rest stop)
A NEET part-timer gets an amazing deal on renting a "mansion" (really a 2 bedroom apartment) for only 3000 yen/month! That's like thirty dollars. But naturally there's a catch. Apparently, leaving the house by the front door puts you in the middle of a dungeon in another dimension/universe of swords and sorcery. Moderate-high fanservice.

Komi-san Wa Komyushou Desu
Komi is a graceful, elegant, beautiful girl with absolutely crippling social phobia, such that she cannot bring herself to speak to anyone. This only heightens her mystique and elevates-but isolates-her further from her classmates. She desperately wants to make friends, and so the class loser befriends her and makes it his goal to help her make 100 friends. Safe.

Dr. Stone
One day, a huge calamity befell all of humanity, and every human on earth was turned to stone. Centuries later, as people start to slowly revive into a world where there are no countries or societies, a conflict arises between those who would leverage science to restore everyone and rebuild modern society, vs those who want to wipe the slate clean and rebuild humanity according to their own plans and ideals. Safe.

I shifted over to Mangadex from Mangakakalot after somehow my account got wiped. Mangadex is the preferred site over at /r/manga, as well.

GasBandit

Staff member
Chichi Chichi

An artist agrees to let an online friend he's never met room with him while the friend attends college nearby. Much to his surprise, when the friend shows up, it turns out she is a woman. She also thought HE was a woman. They decide it's fine, anyway. Ok, straight up: it's tit wank hentai with occasional bro-con seasoning. Found it today. Subscribed. Yeah, I'm owning up to it. Fanservice level: IT IS TIT WANK HENTAI.

Chichi Chichi

An artist agrees to let an online friend he's never met room with him while the friend attends college nearby. Much to his surprise, when the friend shows up, it turns out she is a woman. She also thought HE was a woman. They decide it's fine, anyway. Ok, straight up: it's tit wank hentai with occasional bro-con seaso ning. Found it today. Subscribed. Yeah, I'm owning up to it. Fanservice level: IT IS TIT WANK HENTAI.
The art looked awfully familiar. Turns out it's from the same mangaka as Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon.

Got volumes 14 and 15 of Fairy Tail as they were on sale and MAN...Hiro Mashima CLEARLY wishes he was doing Dragonball.

With the darkness and light attacks I can KINDA forgive the story for being obvious energy blast substitutions, but Laxus's lightning powers could look a lot more creative than basic ass blasts of energy.

SPEAKING of a lack of creativity, Laxus in the battle of Fairy Tail...was an angry version of God Eneru from One Piece. Hell, he even had a technique that would cause a MASSIVE lightning bolt that would've destroyed the town! Uh, Deathpeia much?

It wasn't the worst thing I've read mind you, hell I'll probably continue it, but the battle of Fairy Tail didn't feel necessary at all.

Last edited:
Been bingereading Fairy Tail on the scanlation sites and...dear LORD this series is a mess! Its like the amount of cliches and tropes its copied from other series have put a nice TEMPLATE for a good series, but a lot of the story arcs felt rushed, and some moments happen that honestly don't feel natural to the flow of the story. I've heard the cartoon did stuff better, is that true?

GasBandit

Staff member
Been bingereading Fairy Tail on the scanlation sites and...dear LORD this series is a mess! Its like the amount of cliches and tropes its copied from other series have put a nice TEMPLATE for a good series, but a lot of the story arcs felt rushed, and some moments happen that honestly don't feel natural to the flow of the story. I've heard the cartoon did stuff better, is that true?
I got tired of the anime REAL fast. And that takes a lot, for a show with a big boobed redheaded female character.

Like you said, it all felt cookie cutter, by-the-numbers, unoriginal, and really, REALLY "shonen."

Indeed, my breaking point was after the SECOND timeskip in as little of 10 chapters, where they accidentally wasted 3 months in the Celestial realm, but then Ul said "But its okay, I have a special time spell that will unlock your inner magic while also facing massive pain!" Just...UGH-how much of Hiro's writing is being creative, and how much is it just copying and pasting from Dragonball?

GasBandit

Staff member
Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband.

A quaintly amusing role-reversal story, of a "retired" yakuza badass who gets married and becomes his hardworking wife's "house husband."

Edit: dammit, I'm sick of Mangakakalot's broken shit, I'm switching to mangadex, too. They have everything on my list except Dr. Stone (which they have but not in english), but I've kinda been getting tired of Dr. Stone, tbh.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Skeleton Soldier Couldn't Protect the Dungeon

An undead skeleton is slain in defense of his succubus mistress, and is surprised to find himself returning to the point in his unlife where he was first reanimated by an amateur necromancer - but with one important difference - he retains his "level ups" from before he was destroyed. He quickly learns that, each time he is defeated, he returns to that exact moment again, still retaining whatever he has learned. He decides to use this to change events to reunite with his mistress and save her from her violent end by increasing his skills and abilities.

Interesting, kinda reminds me of Re:Monster only with no orgies...yet.
THAT'S MANHWA NOT MANGA REEEEE

Sounds like a fun premise, but man I am not a fan of that format for reading.
Agreed, all that negative space can be BLINDING!

Either way a neat idea, kinda reminds me of Re:Monster!

Skeleton Soldier Couldn't Protect the Dungeon

An undead skeleton is slain in defense of his succubus mistress, and is surprised to find himself returning to the point in his unlife where he was first reanimated by an amateur necromancer - but with one important difference - he retains his "level ups" from before he was destroyed. He quickly learns that, each time he is defeated, he returns to that exact moment again, still retaining whatever he has learned. He decides to use this to change events to reunite with his mistress and save her from her violent end by increasing his skills and abilities.
like "All you need is kill" but in a fantasy setting

GasBandit

Staff member
Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation

A 32 year old NEET who regrets that his life has amounted to nothing and that he is alienated from his family and has no friends is given a second chance when, after dying in a traffic accident, he finds himself reborn in a fantasy world as a baby, but retaining all his memories and knowledge from his previous life. By age 3, thanks to his adult knowledge combined with the developmental biology of a child that makes learning so fast and easy, he becomes a prodigy at magic. His parents, former adventurers both, recognize his potential, and hire a tutor to begin his education. Vowing to not repeat the mistakes of his previous misspent life, the boy Rudeus struggles to overcome his previous bad habits that led to him becoming a pathetic shut-in, and he makes a vow to himself to not waste his second chance. This time, he will give it his all and build a life he won't regret.

It feels like its the new "Trapped in an MMO" in exposure, a premise which I feel peaked with Overlord and JUST THE FIRST season of SAO. By which I mean the original Sword Art Online arc, and the scene where Asuna reunited with Kirito and NOTHING else.

Just started reading Komi-San can't communicate, REALLY good I gotta say! Only minor gripe I have is that the male lead gets shit on by every other classmate because he's so close to the popular female lead, which I've seen done in a BILLION other things, but its not too bad that the book ain't readable!

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken
or, "The time I was reincarnated as a slime."

https://mangadex.org/manga/15553/tensei-shitara-slime-datta-ken

A man in modern Japan is killed by a knife-wielding murderer, and finds himself resurrected as a slime in a dungeon. Rolling around in the dirt eating grass, he learns he has two special abilities... "Great Sage," which will tell him just about any lore knowledge he wants to know, and "Predator," which lets him envelop and digest beings that are weaker than him, and gain their abilities.

Armed with these tools, the slime sets out to work its way up from the bottom of the food chain to the top of the heap, and the title is a surprisingly engrossing read.

Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken
or, "The time I was reincarnated as a slime."

https://mangadex.org/manga/15553/tensei-shitara-slime-datta-ken

A man in modern Japan is killed by a knife-wielding murderer, and finds himself resurrected as a slime in a dungeon. Rolling around in the dirt eating grass, he learns he has two special abilities... "Great Sage," which will tell him just about any lore knowledge he wants to know, and "Predator," which lets him envelop and digest beings that are weaker than him, and gain their abilities.

Armed with these tools, the slime sets out to work its way up from the bottom of the food chain to the top of the heap, and the title is a surprisingly engrossing read.
Soon to be an anime. :)

...but with a female protagonist, right?
<Googles>
Nope. Huh. Considering the plot, I fully expected them to gender-flip the character.

—Patrick
When adaptations are constantly compared to chapter, page, and even panel, no way in hell would they do this.

When adaptations are constantly compared to chapter, page, and even panel, no way in hell would they do this.
I admit I’m more used to the Western model, where an adaptation can be considered “faithful” merely because it keeps the same character names.

—Patrick

Hataraku Saibou BLACK

The absolutely not for children version of Cells at Work. This body smokes too much, drinks too much, eats too much, and screws too much. And the cells still have a job to do under increasingly deteriorating conditions.

Who has two thumbs and has already lost patience with waiting for MHA season 4?!

Me, it's me. :oops:

GasBandit

Staff member
Dungeon Meshi (Deliciousness in the Dungeon)

https://mangadex.org/title/13871/dungeon-meshi

A group of adventurers runs afoul of a dragon, and although most of them manage to escape, the group leader's sister is eaten by the dragon. He resolves to rescue her as fast as possible, before she is digested. Unfortunately, since their trip wiped, they don't have money for resupply - and desperate times call for desperate measures. Fortunately, they are joined by a mysterious and somewhat comical dwarf gourmet who specializes in cooking delicious meals - with monsters and other unspeakable things found in dungeons as the ingredients. The rescue mission then becomes almost a culinary tour of the dungeon, as the more squeamish members of the adventuring party are forced to come to terms with eating things like slimes, basilisks, and man-eating plants to survive. And of course, there's plenty of other complications along the way...

It's good reading, though I tend to breeze past most of the cooking parts.

Last edited:
Dungeon Meshi (Deliciousness in the Dungeon)

https://mangadex.org/title/13871/dungeon-meshi

A group of adventurers runs afoul of a dragon, and although most of them manage to escape, the group leader's sister is eaten by the dragon. He resolves to rescue her as fast as possible, before she is digested. Unfortunately, since their trip wiped, they don't have money for resupply - and desperate times call for desperate measures. Fortunately, they are joined by a mysterious and somewhat comical dwarf gourmet who specializes in cooking delicious meals - with monsters and other unspeakable things found in dungeons - as the ingredients. The rescue mission then becomes almost a culinary tour of the dungeon, as the more squeamish members of the adventuring party are forced to come to terms with eating things like slimes, basilisks, and man-eating plants to survive. And of course, there's plenty of other complications along the way...

It's good reading, though I tend to breeze past most of the cooking parts.
Nice find

GasBandit

Staff member
Isekai Nonbiri Nouka (AKA "Farming Life in Another World)

https://mangadex.org/title/22521/isekai-nonbiri-nouka

Yep, another "dude dies in our world and gets put in another world" premise. Having died of a prolonged sickness, God chooses to reincarnate the MC in a new world and gives him a wish to affect his time there - and the man simply wishes to be healthy and free of sickness this time around. Taken aback by the modest wish, God grants him a second wish, which the protag uses to wish for a peaceful life. Even more bemused, God then grants a third wish, to which the astonishing reply comes - "I wish to be a simple farmer!"

So, this is what happens when you take Overlord/Reincarnated as a Slime, throw in a dash of Harem, and set it in Stardew frickin Valley. It's an amusing, shallow read. I'm hooked.