What is the worst part of your favorite movies?

fade

Staff member
Moulin Rouge was great ... until the end. It was just so abrupt. It was like, "movie movie mov--OKAY GO HOME".

Seriously I wanna slap Diane Keaton here too. Not the content, the delivery. Michael's slow burn is the only good part of this junior high school drama audition.
Yeah, that's true, but that whole story line gets me though. It's so rough especially when it comes to the kids and Freddo. I think that Breaking Bad tried to capture some of this, but couldn't quite get it (though Breaking Bad is great).

Moulin Rouge was great ... until the end. It was just so abrupt. It was like, "movie movie mov--OKAY GO HOME".
Yeah, I hate to be that 'focus group participant', but for a movie with such passion, energy and enthusiasm, the end just flatlined.

You don't watch The Big Bang Theory, do you... (not that i blame you, it's such a cavalcade of stereotypes)
No - I don't. And, yes, it is. I can't stand the canned laugh either.[DOUBLEPOST=1408565258,1408565154][/DOUBLEPOST]
Spoilering since it is the entire movie...and will change how you see it from now on.

Everything that takes place in the movie would happen with or without Indiana Jones. You could edit him out and things would still play out largely the same as they did. The only real difference would be the time frame. Nazis still would have obtained the Ark, still would have taken it to the Island, still would have opened it and died.

The biggest problem I had with that episode is that none of the guys had known about it already. It's not a new observation by any stretch of the imagination
Oh well. It's still a great movie to me, but that's really funny to think about that. :)

Yeah, that's true, but that whole story line gets me though. It's so rough especially when it comes to the kids and Freddo.
Well, that's why Keaton's moaning and scenery-chewing is just the worst part of an overall favorite. ;)

Although I think Pacino took some tips from her for his future shouty-screamy performances in the '80s-'90s and beyond.

fade

Staff member
What about the whole "finding the ark" bit. Marion would've still fought back, and they would've still probably used the burn to build the wrong staff.

Oh well. It's still a great movie to me, but that's really funny to think about that. :)
Actually, this has been discussed and debunked by fanboys & -girls long before the BBT episode. Which definitely was funny, BUT:

None of it would have happened if the Americans hadn't intercepted the telegram and gone to ask Indy about it. The Germans would never have found out about the headpiece if Toht hadn't followed Indy after that.

At least I think that's the right explanation.

What about the whole "finding the ark" bit. Marion would've still fought back, and they would've still probably used the burn to build the wrong staff.
Marian didn't cause the place to burn down. She would have fought, sure, but there's no possible way she would have won against those guys without Indy. They'd have killed her and taken the medallion.

How about the best part of terrible movies?

Every scene with Electro in it was fantastic in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, while everything else (about two hours worth of other movie) was absolute shit.

How about the best part of terrible movies?
Probably should be a separate thread, but speaking of Spider-Man I think the Sandman's creation scene in Raimi's third is one of the most beautiful sequences I've ever seen.

I know! It's like he is two different actors. Godfather III is bad on so many levels, but one of the most jarring is that Pacino's change.
That is honestly my second biggest problem with III. (The first is Coppola actually bragging that they designed the movie beat for beat from the story structure of the first one. As if shamelessly ripping yourself off were a virtue.) What I love about Michael in I and II is that he's so quiet, when he does actually yell it's frightening and makes an impact, like at Kay at the very end of I. In III he screams so much there's zero impact no matter what he says. I completely agree it's two different Pacinos and two different Michaels. I really don't think the elder Michael would behave at all the way he was written and/or how Pacino played him in III.

I felt the same way about The Believers. Way to flush all the setup down the toilet, Mark Frost.

I feel like a restrictions should be imposed on this thread, that you can't post any clip/scene that could be described as "the ending," otherwise there's gonna be a LOT of stuff that's just "Well, yeah."

--Patrick

Margo Kiddo's wierd internal monologue while Superman's taking her flying. Just... what...

The "Thunder Battle" in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. A completely unnecessary sequence that dragged, added nothing to the story, and actually crossed some lines as far as the world of Middle-Earth was concerned. It was just... "What the fuck?" It honestly made me enjoy the entire movie less.

The "Thunder Battle" in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. A completely unnecessary sequence that dragged, added nothing to the story, and actually crossed some lines as far as the world of Middle-Earth was concerned. It was just... "What the fuck?" It honestly made me enjoy the entire movie less.
Both movies have a ridiculous segment that remove me from the movie.

1. What you wrote.

2. Next movie? The barrels in the river. I looked over to my bud and he was like, shrug.

Margo Kiddo's wierd internal monologue while Superman's taking her flying. Just... what...
Yes.

The musical scenes at the end of most Dreamworks movies. So...so awkward.
YES.

Megamind was such a great movie, we were really loving it, and I still do, but then they just start dancing around for no reason cohesing with anything in the movie and it's as if Dreamworks management listed on the wall that every movie must end this way.

Both movies have a ridiculous segment that remove me from the movie.

1. What you wrote.

2. Next movie? The barrels in the river. I looked over to my bud and he was like, shrug.
But at least that's in the goddamn books! The execution may be ridiculous, but at least there's a basis for it in the story. Chunks of the mountain coming to life as psychopathic stone giants killing each other? WTF?!

You can actually say that for almost every Peter Jackson movie.
The last 30 minutes of Hobbit 2, the whole dragon fight with the golden statue to top it off? Come on, PJ....

But at least that's in the goddamn books! The execution may be ridiculous, but at least there's a basis for it in the story. Chunks of the mountain coming to life as psychopathic stone giants killing each other? WTF?!
The giants did battle during a thunderstorm in the book. They were just not right there, causing immediate danger to the party, but they did seek cover from them. Jackson just interpreted this as them being parts of the mountain, but they were tossing boulders at each other.

"When he peeped out in the lightning-flashes, he saw that across the valley the stone-giants were out and were hurling rocks at one another for a game, and catching them, and tossing them down into the darkness where they smashed among the trees far below, or splintered into little bits with a bang."

I think there's a bit of over-interpreting making that into mountains coming alive and smashing into each other.
Pretty much the biggest part of the first Hobbit film I really disliked.

"When he peeped out in the lightning-flashes, he saw that across the valley the stone-giants were out and were hurling rocks at one another for a game, and catching them, and tossing them down into the darkness where they smashed among the trees far below, or splintered into little bits with a bang."

I think there's a bit of over-interpreting making that into mountains coming alive and smashing into each other.
Pretty much the biggest part of the first Hobbit film I really disliked.
Making them part of the mountain isn't that big a stretch from stone giants.

Going from "playing a game" to "killing each other" is, though.

Making them part of the mountain isn't that big a stretch from stone giants.

Going from "playing a game" to "killing each other" is, though.
Well, how do you know what stone giant games look like? They could have been playing.

None of these changes bother me in the least, because they're portrayed as what Bilbo wrote in his story for Frodo. So changes like that just seem like Bilbo being a good storyteller and adding in embellishments.

Well, how do you know what stone giant games look like? They could have been playing.

None of these changes bother me in the least, because they're portrayed as what Bilbo wrote in his story for Frodo. So changes like that just seem like Bilbo being a good storyteller and adding in embellishments.
Agreed, although I can understand someone saying that it padded out the movie and added nothing to the story. Of course, that was a lot of The Hobbit.

I can't be arsed to see the sequels. The trailers don't make me want to see them, they just make me wish I had LOTR on Blu-Ray.

I'd say you'd be doing yourself a disservice. The 2nd movie was solid and setup for a glorious third. The acting is very good and any middle earth fan should see a little something they'd like.

Just these scenes are bad....

Pretty much any 80s movie where the bully of the story straight up tries to murder the protagonist with no ill consequences. Apparently all high schools back then were immune from any sort of law enforcement.

Examples:

Karate Kid
Goonies
Footloose (with a bonus woman beating scene on top of it)

This isn't bullies being bullies, these are straight up attempted murder.

Zappit

Staff member
Okay, I'm an old school, Gen 1 Transformers junkie, and I love the 80's movie. It opens with a tremendous battle that wipes out a ton of major Autobot and Decepticons characters, contains the childhood-shattering death of Optimus Prime, and features a villain who freaking eats entire planets. We even see Unicron melting down survivors of his attacks in his innards. This movie was dark.

And then come the Junkions, complete with a dance sequence. Eric Idle doing television-esque quotes to cobble some English together? That's fine. Another instance of that ridiculous universal greeting? I can live with that. But after the Autobots suffer tremendous casualties, barely survive another encounter with Galvatron, and lose both of Cybertron's moons to Unicron, they dance. Ugh...

Okay, I'm an old school, Gen 1 Transformers junkie, and I love the 80's movie. It opens with a tremendous battle that wipes out a ton of major Autobot and Decepticons characters, contains the childhood-shattering death of Optimus Prime, and features a villain who freaking eats entire planets. We even see Unicron melting down survivors of his attacks in his innards. This movie was dark.

And then come the Junkions, complete with a dance sequence. Eric Idle doing television-esque quotes to cobble some English together? That's fine. Another instance of that ridiculous universal greeting? I can live with that. But after the Autobots suffer tremendous casualties, barely survive another encounter with Galvatron, and lose both of Cybertron's moons to Unicron, they dance. Ugh...
To be fair, Dare to Be Stupid was playing. Being sentient beings with a soul, they had no choice but to dance.

I always assumed it was in the same vein as the Universal Greeting. The party was used as another way to endear themselves to the Junkions, mainly because they all needed the repairs and ships to face Unicron for the finale. Sure, it's a bit out of place, but then so is Wheelie, a rhyming, childlike Autobot with a space-slingshot.

Although in the UK comic continuity, he's a super-survivalist that helps Wreckgar get off the Quintesson's planet and slaughters Sharkticons like they're nothing.

I always assumed it was in the same vein as the Universal Greeting. The party was used as another way to endear themselves to the Junkions, mainly because they all needed the repairs and ships to face Unicron for the finale. Sure, it's a bit out of place, but then so is Wheelie, a rhyming, childlike Autobot with a space-slingshot.

Although in the UK comic continuity, he's a super-survivalist that helps Wreckgar get off the Quintesson's planet and slaughters Sharkticons like they're nothing.

Whoa, that picture just brought back a nostalgia hit like you wouldn't believe. I think I had that book when I was a kid. What's it called?