What is the question to the awnser 42?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can't know the Question and the Answer at the same time, that would cause the universe as we know it to disappear entirely and be replaced by one entirely more complicated and weird.

Experts surmise that's happened several times already.

I

Iaculus

According to the Earth supercomputer, "What is six times nine?"

Tells you everything you need to know, huh?

No, Iaculus, you're wrong, that's the question that Arthur Dent "got", but remember that humans aren't originally part of the Earth's supercomputer program, we're actually an outside factor that ruined the whole thing. We're descended from the rejects of a race that tricked them all out of their planet and they crashed and reproduced here. Telemarketers and such.

Cajungal

Staff member
I was going to ask, 'If someone asks to be asked questions in the midst of nerds, will they always always always always ask this?' But I can see that I don't need to.

I

Iaculus

GODDAMIT I TOLD YOU WHY THAT ANSWER MADE NO SENSE! IT'S EXPLAINED IN THE NOVELS!! RAAAAAGEEEE!!
As one of the continuities, yes. The radio plays, whilst still involving the Golgafrinchans, leave it much more open-ended. There, the suggestion was that somehow, they had still managed to get the data through despite the 'Frinchan interference... and it was six times nine. Felt much more fitting, in my opinion.

T

Twitch

I thought it was implied that the Golgafrinchans were meant to crash there.

GODDAMIT I TOLD YOU WHY THAT ANSWER MADE NO SENSE! IT'S EXPLAINED IN THE NOVELS!! RAAAAAGEEEE!!
As one of the continuities, yes. The radio plays, whilst still involving the Golgafrinchans, leave it much more open-ended. There, the suggestion was that somehow, they had still managed to get the data through despite the 'Frinchan interference... and it was six times nine. Felt much more fitting, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

The 80's BBC tv version ends with this same thing.

Arthur Dent ends the series by stating, "I always did think there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe."

The series was made based pretty much only on the first novel and the radio series, not even The Restaurant at the End of the Universe had been published when they were shooting the series.... ergo it ended before Adams had a chance of expanding the whole Golgafrinchan premise :humph:

Status
Not open for further replies.