[TV] What is the best drama on TV right now?

Which of these shows is the best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine and I were having a fun discussion about whether or not this is a golden age for television shows, especially in terms of quality. I thought I would bring that discussion here as well.

As the thread title says, I want to know what the best show on TV is right now. I don't intend for this to be a discussion of which shows are the greatest of all time. Obviously I couldn't include every good show on air right now, so if there's something not on the list please share. And please share your reasoning for which one you think is the best.

If there's interest, I'll keep making more polls to see what people on this forum like.

GasBandit

Staff member
The only 2 current TV shows I've watched in the last 6 months or so are Game of Thrones and Grimm. So... Game of Thrones and Grimm. I hear good things about Breaking Bad, but couldn't get into it myself.

Breaking Bad crushes most everything on TV right now hands down, but of those I also like Justified, Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy, Dexter and the Walking Dead.

I dunno, Homeland is pretty amazing. I would argue the two leads are as good as anyone else on TV right now.

Homeland is really, really awesome, but#2 to Breaking Bad.

Glad to see Justified get some love. It'd be in my top 5 of things currently airing.

Also, way to be prejudiced against half hour / comedy programs. It's comparing apples and oranges slightly, but I'd hold Parks & Recreation up there against any of those. Modern Family is also really good and consistent. Girls would also get a little consideration by me.

Finally, I think the most notable omission would be Mad Men. It's between seasons (and probably a long wait), but it's still 'currently airing'. It'd also probably crack my top 5.

In general I can't stand 30 minute comedies, so I didn't even consider them to begin with. And I think Mad Men has always been overrated. Your mileage may vary.

Also Game of Thrones will be off the air for a year between Season 2 and Season 3. So technically it ain't even on TV.

This list is flaaaaaaaaaaaaawed.

J

JCM

Castle, Sherlock, Doctor Who and Torchwood.[DOUBLEPOST=1353381911][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and Modern Family, and hopefully, Community (if the change in writers does not fuck it up)

ALSO- Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, and Bobs Burgers. Yes I put Home Movies and Metalocalypse's little brother up very high, das just how I roll.

You should change the thread title to "Best Drama on TV" seeing as you don't apparently care about any other genere.

Castle is a fun show but it's just a police procedural that is elevated by the wit of the writers and Mr. Fillian. Thats not be saying it's bad at all, it's miles better than other police procedurals for sure. I mean, besides, they are terrible police. The grandmother solves 95% of their cases with nonchalant comments. :p

Castle is fun but goofy as hell.
Actually my biggest beef with Castle (and keep in mind, I like it) is that a) it's repetitive as every other procedural out there and b) It feels really, really weird when it gets all serious since it's overall, like you said, a very goofy show.

Actually my biggest beef with Castle (and keep in mind, I like it) is that a) it's repetitive as every other procedural out there and b) It feels really, really weird when it gets all serious since it's overall, like you said, a very goofy show.
It gets all serious right around sweeps and season finales since it's still a network show. C.R.E.A.M (cable rules everything around me)

It's sad that Dexter would at one time have been on my list but it has sadly gotten worse and worse since the beginning of the 5th season. Breaking Bad, Homeland, GoT, and Walking Dead own me now.

This new season of Dexter is much, much better than the previous 2. I really like Ray Stevenson though (and Yvonne Strahovski, rrrrowr).

This new season of Dexter is much, much better than the previous 2. I really like Ray Stevenson though (and Yvonne Strahovski, rrrrowr).
True, but thats not a huge leap. All they had to do was stop making EVERYTHING terrible. Seriously though, they are doing a good job of getting the show back into a fine form. Still not back in my top 5 but it's very close.

J

JCM

No love for Doctor Who? Come on, the weeping angel statue of liberty was one of the best frigging things ever in 2012.

No love for Doctor Who? Come on, the weeping angel statue of liberty was one of the best frigging things ever in 2012.
I'm probably one of the biggest Doctor Who fans on this board, but the statue of liberty angel was pretty retarded, though I absolutely loved the rest of the episode. One of the most prominent landmarks in the world had absolutely no one looking at it?

Doctor Who wouldn't really be considered a drama, though. I don't even know what genre it would fall into other than sci fi.

J

JCM

I'm probably one of the biggest Doctor Who fans on this board, but the statue of liberty angel was pretty retarded, though I absolutely loved the rest of the episode. One of the most prominent landmarks in the world had absolutely no one looking at it?

Doctor Who wouldn't really be considered a drama, though. I don't even know what genre it would fall into other than sci fi.
Stoner tv?

Status
Not open for further replies.