What is a "Hipster"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was raining out the other day and per usual when it rains I wear my fedora, and got called a hipster by a gaggle of Reagan babies.

What the Finland is a hipster?

There must be something new to it then, because there is no way a grumpy old man with a hat matches that description.

• Bow tie
  • Hat
  • Suspenders
  • Facial hair
  • Non government approved source of alcohol
That's a fair description I suppose.

There are really only two things that define a Hipster: What they hate and when they start hating it.

Hipsters love things when they are indie and not well known, because they get a thrill off of being part of a small, tight-knit group of like minded people (who get to pretend they are better than others because of obscure knowledge). However, when and if such things become popular or mainstream, they lose their inherent value to hipsters because now it's not "theirs". It's something they now have to share with everyone. Once this happens, their love turns to resentment and one of two things happens.

- They leave the scene and look for something else to be exclusive about.

OR

- They stay in the scene, proclaim they liked it before these new guys came in and keep pretending they are better for it.

Hipsters can be from any walk of life because EVERYTHING starts out indie. For example, the following are hipsters:

- People who only like the Final Fantasy games before 7.
- People who make a point of saying they knew a band when they were still working empty bar rooms.
- People who hate the fact that Call of Duty/Halo/Mario/whatever is the only game some people play.
- People who only drink imported or locally brewed alcohol (and only the actually imported stuff, not stuff made in the US/Canada under a foreign label).
- People who hate people who've only seen the movie of a book, not read the book.
- People who watch foreign movies and then complain about American remakes. (I'm guilty of this one)
- People who only watched subtitled anime.
- People who wear ANYTHING ironically.
- People who only read comics from companies other than DC, Marvel, or Darkhorse. Doubly so if they only like Black and White ones.
- People who carry a lunchbox for a series that went off the air over five years ago AND are over the age of 10. Double points if it's tin or another metal.
- ANYONE who thinks their fandom makes them special or better than other people.

I'm sure just about everyone meets at least one of these examples... however, what TRULY makes you a hipster is to the degree to which you hate. If these things just bother you, but don't drive you crazy, your not a real hipster. However, people who define themselves by these things are.

Weird, neither Tin's nor Allen's definitions come close define me as a person, so I hereby declare that I am not a "Hipster".
Added at: 17:19
- People who only like the Final Fantasy games before 7.
Never played FF before, my wife loves it and I don't mind if people play it
- People who make a point of saying they knew a band when they were still working empty bar rooms.
I like celtic, baroque, blues and AC/DC and don't judge people by what they listen to (barring age appropriate lyrics)
- People who hate the fact that Call of Duty/Halo/Mario/whatever is the only game some people play.
You're free to like and play whatever game you want
- People who only drink imported or locally brewed alcohol (and only the actually imported stuff, not stuff made in the US/Canada under a foreign label).
I match alcohol to the food or setting that is appropriate, weighted by finances
- People who hate people who've only seen the movie of a book, not read the book.
This only bugs me when people present obvious historical significant mistakes in the moves as true facts
- People who watch foreign movies and then complain about American remakes. (I'm guilty of this one)
Watch what you want, like what you like
- People who only watched subtitled anime.
I really don't know what anime is.
- People who wear ANYTHING ironically.
This boggles me, I wear clothes based on situational functionality. If my t-shirt seems ironic, it isn't it's just old and I enjoy wearing it because it's comfortable for the current situation
- People who only read comics from companies other than DC, Marvel, or Darkhorse. Doubly so if they only like Black and White ones.
I like comic books and comic strips, don't care where they come from
- People who carry a lunchbox for a series that went off the air over five years ago AND are over the age of 10. Double points if it's tin or another metal.
I did have a TML metal lunchbox, but my daughter has it now. What's wrong with metal lunch boxes?
- ANYONE who thinks their fandom makes them special or better than other people..
Well I am a Leafs fan.

J

Jiarn

The kind of hipster that really gets to me are the ones that purposely go against the grain, especially during highly sensitive subjects. It's often times confused with "trolling" but the difference is a troll knows he's wrong and does it for the fun of it. The hipster does it and believes it whole-heart. Facts are usually all they care about, emotion/reason/common sense won't play into their arguments. Mostly due to their own detachment from everyday people and their self-imposed restrictions on social interaction.

Does that mean Halforumites are hipsters because we're on Halforum or is that now mainstream?
Given Gustos statement that people find halforums by googling "drunk slut confessions" I'd say we are mainstream now, so I suppose we could by the definitions proposed be viewed as hipsters to any one who is new to the forums.

figmentPez

Staff member
Does that mean Halforumites are hipsters because we're on Halforum or is that now mainstream?
It's relative. To people not on Halforums we might be hipsters, but to some Halforumites you have to be able to say "I was on the Image Comics PvP Forum before it was Halfpixel, before it was Halforums." to be a forum hipster.

(and I was active on the usenet before forums were popular. AGLAMI!)

pfft, I remember when the curve was a flat line, before all you bandwagon jumpers got on ahead of it.

It's relative. To people not on Halforums we might be hipsters, but to some Halforumites you have to be able to say "I was on the Image Comics PvP Forum before it was Halfpixel, before it was Halforums." to be a forum hipster.

(and I was active on the usenet before forums were popular. AGLAMI!)
Pfft. I was on the internet before the web browser. :p

(that doesn't really make us hipsters, just old.)

Dave

Staff member
Given Gustos statement that people find halforums by googling "drunk slut confessions" I'd say we are mainstream now, so I suppose we could by the definitions proposed be viewed as hipsters to any one who is new to the forums.
I'll be damned.

O

Overflight

Obligatory pic:

I am of the opinion that the word hipster means absolutely nothing anymore. People seem to use it to refer to people younger than 40 who wear clothes. And I’m sure even if they didn’t, that would be “so counterculture” and end up being hipster too.

Status
Not open for further replies.