What is a "Hipster"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajungal

Staff member
Every hipster I've known has taken great pains to never appear openly enthusiastic about anything.

W

Wasabi Poptart

I have a friend who loves obscure music and film, she dresses like she robbed a bag lady who was once a Lisa Loeb impersonator, fashions herself a food snob, and tries hard to be a subversive from the comfort of her own home. She hates hipsters. I laugh because she *is* one.

I dont know why everyone bashes on hipsters. The Hipsters we have here in my town all seem pretty nice,always ready to share a table at a full bar.
And I must confess,im a little Hipster myself....

W

Wasabi Poptart

I don't think I'm better than anyone. I think people who try too hard to be against anything mainstream and look down their noses at people who are "sheep" are laughable though.

Ha. So cute, still holding onto the relic that is logic.

I remember when I used logic too, before it went commercial.

figmentPez

Staff member
the definition of a hipster is: someone that isn't you that you think you're better than
Bullshit. Hipster has just become a synonym for elitist, and that's not an unreasonable association given the etymology of hipster, "one who is hip". It used to be that a hipster was a modern jazz fan, and I imagine there are still a number of people around who fit that description and are easygoing about it, as would fit the musical style they follow. However, there's a much broader definition of the term "a person characterized by a particularly strong sense of alienation from most established social activities and relationships" or "a person who is familiar with or informed about the latest ideas, styles, developments, etc. especially with a casual or knowing air."

The extreme of those, when a hipster both knows what's cool, and is outside of what everyone else is doing, is elitism. "I'm better than everyone else because I know what's cool and the mainstream doesn't." Anyone who acts like this is a jerk, and I'm happy to call them out on it. If I somehow offend modern jazz fans in the process, maybe they should just throw on some vinyl, mellow out and become familiar with the latest developments in the English language.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Yesterday, the True Finns party told that they would not take part in forming a government with the National Coalition and the Social Democrats, because these two parties were in support of the bailout for Portugal - something that the hard-liner True Finns, some of whom got elected, said they'd never support.

Why is this relevant?

Because when the news came out, a lot of the social media were going 'Yay!' over this, yours truly included. When asked about his opinion on such joy about their withdrawal into the opposition, party leader Timo Soini said - and I quote (translated from Finnish, of course):

"I don't care about the opinions of hipsters."

To me, a "hipster" is someone who is utterly consumed by the superficial - music, clothes, body art, etc - and judge quality mostly by the basis of exclusivity, or failing that, outright oddity. They consider obscure or strange to be the same as good, or wear and consume the deliberately tacky "ironically" - as if it's a show of sophistication. Ugly brand new vintage t-shirts referencing an obscure TV high school, and especially a sports team or marching band derived from it, knit caps for weather at least 30 degrees cooler than it well ever get locally, scarves in summer. It's a way of signaling, "I'm quirky, unique, and have eclectic tastes, just like everyone I know and want to associate with!" You can say the same about any sub-culture, except with hipsters, it really doesn't get any deeper than that. It's all about one-upping each other with obscurity or inanity done "ironically" - and naturally, they badly misuse the entire concept of irony. It's pure self-indulgence and very often, at least in the kids I see at the college, done with someone else's money.

To quote Dale Gribble: "They walk slow because there's nowhere they gotta be, man."

I think the other thing is, the only things they seem to enjoy, or get eager about, is tearing down others. Seriously, a hipster will talk about going to a party someone's throwing, and inviting them to, "ironically". I guess the thought process is that they're so cool, the party's lame, but that because they're attending a lame party disingenuously, as an inside joke, it's okay.

Fuckers.

Status
Not open for further replies.