[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

I've been doing a big deep dive on Silver Age Spider-man, probably his best work during the time, as Spider-man being a teenager made his hotheaded brash decisions a LOT more tolerable...than the adult characters who'd make similar hotheaded brash decisions in other books. Like with Peter's insane romance woes its a tolerable because love at that age is confusing and a nightmare, but with Daredevil its about two lawyers who want to boink their employee with one lying about who he is to do it and its like...really? Am I really supposed to root for this guy?

Man, for all the comics I read, I really should post here more often. Just this year alone, I've read 138 graphic novels as of this writing. That's of varying size, from 6-issue volumes or manga to compendiums or omnibuses.

Anyway, I told @General Specific that I'd post a brief review of the comics she sent me for this year's Secret Santa. As I said over in the Secret Santa thread, I LOVE discovering new comics to try. There's a comic shop near my work that sells a lot of used graphic novels. Sometimes I'll snag some cheap books that catch my eye. It doesn't always give me winners, but sometimes I'll find some really interesting stuff. And these three books are the kind of thing that would catch my eye, either at the library or at the comic shop.

So, anyway, onto the reviews. If you want me to post more reviews in the future, let me know.

My Life Among Humans, by Jed McGowan

The best way I can describe this is it's Invasion of Body Snatchers, from the alien's point of view, by way of a Wes Anderson film. Honestly, I kind of wish the book was longer because I feel like it rushes towards the surprisingly violent ending. I wanted a bit more of the alien observing the humans, and getting to know the humans. The humans' life and personalities are barely touched upon by the time we get to the alien possession part of the book. It was hard to be empathetic towards the alien whose methods are pretty invasive.

But I can't deny the book exudes charm. I loved the art deco style drawings. Not sure if "art deco" is quite the right description, but it's the best I can think of. The alien's biology and origin is fascinating and it's something I wish we could have gotten more of.

Despite wanting the book to be a bit beefier, I really enjoyed this one. Very happy to have this in my collection.

The Five Fists of Science, by Matt Fraction & Steven Sanders

I hate saying things because General_Specific said this was one of her favourite books from a few years ago, but I didn't care for this one as much. It's really tricky to use historical figures in an interesting way. One of the things that turned me right off the book was before the comic even began: walls of text in bios introducing each character. If you can't do that organically within the comic, you've already half lost me.

I like some of Fraction's past work, like Iron Fist and Sex Criminals, but this honestly read more like a mildly more whimsical version of something Jonathan Hickman might write (and I don't care for Hickman's detached style of writing, with heavy focus on sci-fi with little focus on character). It's big concept, with one set of historical figures on the side of science and the other on the side of the supernatural (like worshipping Lovecraftian gods). And Tesla/Twain's team felt a little too Ghostbusters in a way that just didn't do it for me.

I'll be honest, I barely paid attention to the last few pages as I flipped through to the end. The art didn't help, especially during the actions sequences where it wasn't very clear what was going on. Worse, in especially dark scenes, I was begging the artist to give it more lighting so I could actually SEE what was going on. I'm all for using shadows in your art, but not to the point that I can't see what's going on.

So, yeah, I'm disappointed in this one. I'm sorry to crap on something you enjoyed General but it wasn't for me. Sorry, General. Maybe I'll give it a second chance sometime.

Finally...

Earthdivers, Vol 1: Kill Columbus, by Stephen Graham Jones & Davide Gianfelice

I find, when historical figures are added to the fray, they're better used as supporting characters. One-episode appearances in Doctor Who, for example. Or the use of historical figures in the Sandman comic series or Atomic Robo. They don't dominate the scene so much to make it feel anachronistic (which might be why I also didn't care for Five Fists of Science; it's like pushing Captain Jack Sparrow into the role of starring character where he works better in a supporting role).

Here is a perfect example of how to use a historical figure. A Native America from an apocalyptic future travels back to 1492, believing that if kills Christopher Columbus before he discovers North America, that he can save his world in the future. An awesome premise that had me hooked until the end. Tad, the main character, is interesting as, on the one hand, he struggles to be a good character but also wants to tear Columbus a new one for what he did to Tad's people. And Columbus is, of course, in this just enough that he's the main goal, but doesn't dominate the narrative. A good supporting character, in other words.

My only issue is when we go back to the future to see the other characters related to Tad, like his wife. And honestly, they're nowhere near as interesting as Tad's experience in 1492. There's more time travel nonsense involved that isn't fully explained, nor mysterious enough to really make me care. It feels similar to Paper Girls, but without the mysteries being actually interesting enough to want more. This first book ends on what I think is supposed to be some revelation, but I didn't understand it.

Tad's story and dilemma, on the other hand, I wanted more more more. There's a weird element where I think the devil communicates with him,, or if it's all in his head, but the book isn't very clear about it. Maybe that will be explored more in future volumes.

Despite some criticisms, I dug the heck out of this book and will be looking to buy the next volume.

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad you liked two of them at least. I really enjoyed Five Fists of Science, but it is fine if you did not. To each their own. No need to apologize to me for differing taste and I love that you put that much thought into why you didn't like it. You have a much more sophisticated taste in comics than I do. I collected them for a bit, but stopped years ago and haven't really looked at them in a while. I like them, they just weren't a priority for me and my limited funds.

I'm really just happy that I got you something you hadn't seen already and that at least piqued your interest. That's all I was actually hoping for. :heart::heart::D

The He-Man Effect: How American Toymakers Sold You Your Childhood, by Box Brown

I've enjoyed several of Box Brown's work before, like his graphic essays on Tetris and weed, and his biography on Andre the Giant.

This time, it's a deep dive into how the cartoons and toys of the 80s came about. It's interesting stuff, like how Reagan's deregulations opened up new venues for capitalism and advertising. I didn't know that before Transformers, there were two different kinds of similar toys by the same toy designers (Diaclone & Microchange). I knew Marvel Comics played a major role in the development of G.I. Joe, too.

Something I didn't know was how the first 65 episodes of He-Man were developed: all at once. They made and releases enough episodes right off the bat to IMMEDIATELY go into syndication. It's any wonder He-Man was such an advertising powerhouse at the time.

I'm also amazed how quickly it all turned around. These massive franchises died off almost as fast as they grew. He-Man dropped soon after the live action movie bombed. Transformers only had 3 or 4 seasons. They saw resurgences later on, of course, in different forms, but that original spike in what I grew up on didn't really last that long in the big picture.

I've finally broken my personal barrier in being unable to read manga. I had difficulty reading from right to left or "backwards."

Now, I'm plowing through a bunch of stuff. I read all of Pluto (it's amazing), I've read 7 volumes of Kaiju No 8 so far (also very good!).

Just now, I finished reading the first volume of Cat + Gamer, which is ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE from beginning to end. Of the manga I've read so far, this is my personal favorite.

Oh, hey, and the English translation is handled by my online pal, Zack Davisson!

I especially love the end of each chapter, where we get a few pages of the same story from the cat's point of view. It's adorable and hilarious to see what the cat was (probably) thinking at the time.

I adore this comic. It's the fresh air of genuine adorableness I need now.

Right now, my local library has been a great source for manga. I asked them to order a 3-in-1 volume of One Piece (good lord, that's a long series).

I'd also like to read some stuff by Junji Ito. I'm basically just playing it loose and checking out stuff that might interest me.

Something I find interesting in reading manga is how fast it reads. I can jet through one volume in nearly a single sitting. That's not as common with some western comics (some, not all). And that's not a criticism or praise on either form; just an observation.

On a related note, I think I might prefer experiencing these stories through the manga instead of the anime. I found I enjoyed Pluto more as a comic than I did watching the show. I'm sure there's a term for anime/manga people who prefer reading over watching. Kind of interesting how the adaptations don't seem to stray too far from the source material. Not compared to when you see something adapted in North America, anyway.

Do a Powerbomb

I freaking loved...most of this book. It has amazing art for a pro-wrestling story and the creator's love of wrestling shines on every page.

Under any other circumstances, I would rate it 9 or 10 out of 10. If not for one egregious formatting error.

Near the end of the book, right at the end of the penultimate chapter, they reveal a character for the final opponent. But it's completely ruined because it's a double page spread where the character is dead center...and most of their features are buried in the book's gutters.

Due to that error alone, I'd drop my score down to a 6 or 7. It's rare when formatting like this kills the immersion for me. If it wasn't such a pivotal introduction, I'd be more forgiving. But cripes, this one really bugs me.

Here's the two page spread behind a spoiler cut.

20240303_194840~2.jpg

Do a Powerbomb

I freaking loved...most of this book. It has amazing art for a pro-wrestling story and the creator's love of wrestling shines on every page.

Under any other circumstances, I would rate it 9 or 10 out of 10. If not for one egregious formatting error.

Near the end of the book, right at the end of the penultimate chapter, they reveal a character for the final opponent. But it's completely ruined because it's a double page spread where the character is dead center...and most of their features are buried in the book's gutters.

Due to that error alone, I'd drop my score down to a 6 or 7. It's rare when formatting like this kills the immersion for me. If it wasn't such a pivotal introduction, I'd be more forgiving. But cripes, this one really bugs me.

Here's the two page spread behind a spoiler cut.

That’s something that probably worked fine in the individual issues, but suffers from the format of the trade collection.