What book are you currently reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reading Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. It explores the reasons why people do exceptionally well in life. He explains why Bill Gate's success had as much to do with luck as it did with his own ability among other things.
This is what I'm likely going to read after what I'm reading now: "The Book of Basketball" by Bill Simmons. It's singlehandedly making me an NBA fan, I think :) Also the foreword is by Gladwell.

W

Wyrminarrd

I´m currently reading "The Hero of Ages" which is the third book of the "Mistborn" trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.

K

Kitty Sinatra

After having enjoyed East of Eden so much . . . I thought I'd try Cannery Row by Steinbeck . . . Its short 160 pages in big (ish) type. Its also really light and funny not at all what I expected from a book about homeless alcoholics. John Steinbeck is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. Very much recommended.
Well, I know what I'm gonna be reading soon. I might just give Of Mice and Men another try, too (Stupid school reading assignments ruining good literature).

Although I hafta say I kinda felt that East of Eden ended kinda poorly. It's not what occurred, it's that it all occurred so quickly after the rest of the book was a slow, lingering delight. I kinda felt like the final events were rushed; perhaps because the page count was getting way up there, I don't know.

I said elsewhere that I have a preference for short novels. I find that 200-350 pages is ideal. They tend to be better focused on the character or plot, and the writing tends to be more finely crafted and precise than longer works.

Cajungal

Staff member
I'm reading a book for school that's very interesting. I don't have it now, and I forget the title. But it's about Old South Baton Rouge, and how it went from a bustling and prosperous community to basically a slum just outside of the university. It's sad to read about, knowing I live so close to a neighborhood that's pretty much known for nothing more than poverty and drugs now.

Currently: When All Seems Lost by William C. Dietz

Next: When Duty Calls by William C. Dietz

After That: Confessor by Terry Goodkind

R

redapples

Still Life With Woodpecker - Tom Robbins, I read Jitterbug Perfume about 15 years ago and meant at the time to find other works by him which is why this has been cluttering my shelves. I'm getting to feel that a theme is forming here: things hanging around my bookshelf for years I mean. I tried a (short) while ago to read All Tomorrow Parties - I have it in hard back, bought when first released 10 years ago - but could remember little of Virtual Light and Idoru so had to shelve it now to dig the first 2 out...

Maybe next.

O

Olorin

Wellspring of Chaos, from the Recluce Saga by L.E. Modesitt Jr.
Started pretty slow, but fairly interesting so far. The only other Recluce books that I've read were book 1-4, so I'm missing 7 books inbetween, but luckily that is't a huge problem.

After that: The Children of Hurin by J.R.R. Tolkien (and Christopher Tolkien) I've probably alreay read most of it in the Silmarillion and HoME, but it was cheap, so I couldn't resist buying it anyway.

Reading Dr. Zhivago to the baby.
Reading Anne of Green Gables to the 3 yr old.
Reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels to myself.

Cajungal

Staff member
As a kid, I never read The Giver. It was always suggested reading in my classes but never required at my elementary school... it really should have been. Anyway, after meaning to read it for a looooong time, I finally borrowed it from the school library. Quick read, of course, but beautifully told and very engaging. Lois Lowry's great.

Finished "Oliver Twist" a week or two ago. The story is much deeper and more engaging than the musical, and as much as I love the musical, the book is better...

R

redapples

Still Life With Woodpecker - Tom Robbins
Why did nobody stop me? Seriously people.

My god what a waste of effort. A more smug and self satisfied a piece of writing it is hard to find. I can't remember the last time I chose not to finish a book but really life is too damn short.

Anyway to patch me up I turned to the dependable. I'm rereading The Cobweb by Stephen Bury (A.K.A Neil Stephenson - in fact I think current printings use his actual name rather than the nom de plume). Iraq WMD factories in the Midwest Universities, yeah baby.

W

Wyrminarrd

I´m about 1/3 of the way through "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Ruthfoss. This is the authors first book and it is a really strong beginning to what promises to be a great series.

American Gods - Neil Gaiman

Really engaging read so far, the first hundred or so pages flew by in no time at all.

Kind of ashamed to say this is the first book I've read in a while that was not assigned. It's even worse because I love to read, but never make the time to read anything other then the newspaper and occasional comic book.

American Gods - good book.

I just borrowed Famous Fantastic Mysteries. It's a collection of short stories from an old pulp magazine.

S

Soliloquy

I'm pretty much reading whatever old classics I can buy on the cheap or rent from the Library.

I was reading Dracula for a while until I reached the part where Mina and Lucy were exchanging letters, where my interest waned a little bit. Then, I got really busy, ran out of time, and had to return it to the Library.

Soon afterwards, I watched a rather poorly-written adaptation of the book that my old high school put on, which seemed more like cliff notes of the tale than anything actually literary. I'm considering picking the book up again and finishing it soon, though.

The last book I read was HG Wells' The Time Machine. It's a really interesting story, and I think it's aged much better that Wells' War of the Worlds, which has essentially become the pattern from which all cliched alien invasion stories are drawn.

R

redapples

Kind of ashamed to say this is the first book I've read in a while that was not assigned. It's even worse because I love to read, but never make the time to read anything other then the newspaper and occasional comic book.
Don't be. School comes first. I spent my 'revsion time' reading Catch 22. All good except this was not on any exam I took. I never studied much after that.

Cajungal

Staff member
I haven't read anything lately. Busy with school, and when I'm done with that, I come here, play my uke, or write in my journal. Sadness. :( Well, it's almost over, and after that, I'm borrowing some new stuff from my cousin. ^_^

P

Philosopher B.

So, yo, yo, yo. I bought Under the Dome for nineteen buckaroozies all up in BJs, don't you know. I read Cell recently, which was fucking fantastic. The pace, the characters, the engrossing story ... I haven't read a book that awesome in a while. I recall back when King slagged on S. Meyers that there were some titters on the Internets to the effects of 'He should talk'. But I gotta say; after reading Cell, I don't care if every other book the man ever wrote consisted entirely of the word 'poop' repeated over and over; Meyers couldn't write a book as good as Cell in a bajillion years.

Anyhoo, I'm like 150 pages into UtD, and it's been interesting so far I guess. A lot of town gossip is danced around, though I'm assuming it'll all be clear eventually, considering this book is over a thousand pages. Two thoughts I had while reading so far:

1) King isn't afraid of letting his political leanings show.

2) Do people really shit when they die? Is that like ... a thing?

At any rate, I'm enjoying it, even if it isn't exactly buzzing along with the same gripping intensity as Cell. King sure does like his 'evils of small towns' stories.

- Philo-B., who's read a couple King novels now.

W

Wasabi Poptart

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan
How is that???[/QUOTE]

What he asked.

Anyhoo, I'm not currently reading anything, but I'm about to get all up in more of Stephen King's work any minute.[/QUOTE]

I'm only on the second chapter, but so far it's setting up nicely.[/QUOTE]

I haven't had much time to read, but I did get further into this book. HOLY CRAP! It got so creepy I had to put it down for a while. I was looking out of my bedroom window every night before bed to make sure nothing was out there. I picked it up again about a week ago, but I've had a lot going on and haven't had much time to read.

Ada or Ardor, by Nabokov. It's probably going to take me around the time it took me to read 3 or 4 books of equal length last month, being the hardest piece of english literature I've ever started to read.

2) Do people really shit when they die? Is that like ... a thing?

At any rate, I'm enjoying it, even if it isn't exactly buzzing along with the same gripping intensity as Cell. King sure does like his 'evils of small towns' stories.
Your bowel control releases, so it depends. I only knew it happened from hanging.

It's because small towns ARE evil :p.

I'm in the middle of The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie. On the surface it's about two guys who survive a mid-air plane explosion, one transformed into an angel and the other into a devil. Under all that and in many other characters it's about Islam, faith, and atheism confronted by miracles. It had an interesting beginning, dragged between the beginning and middle, but it's picked up again, though as with most Rushdie books, I have no clue where it's going.

Reading Master of the Crossroads, the second book of Madison Smart Bell's Haitian Trilogy, set during the Haitian Revolution. These books are freaking dense. Not the longest things I've ever read, but every time I sit down to read, I feel intimidated.

All Souls Rising was the first book in the trilogy, and I finished that nearly a year ago. It was great, and gave me an appreciation for what exactly went on during the Haitian revolution. I know that the story is heavily fictionalized, but the backdrop is (as far as I can tell) accurate in the larger goings on. I particularly appreciated the character of Riau, who's chapters are told first person and gave me my first real look at what the Voodoo religion actually entails.

Considering the current interest in Haiti, I will not hesitate to recommend these books to anyone. Be wary if you're uncomfortable at descriptions of extreme brutality, including the dissection of a pregnant slave woman while she is still alive. There is some sex in the book as well, but it is generally tasteful.

Just finished the Icewind Dale Trilogy and the Dark Elf Trilogy, both by R. A. Salvatore, of course. Have not yet gotten around to finding something new to read.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I'm reading Wolf Hall, a historical novel about Henry VIII, the Boleyns, Luther, Thomas More and all that jazz, with Thomas Cromwell as the central protagonist. It's quite engaging and well written . . . which is probably why it won the most prestigious award for Commonwealth literature.

C

Chazwozel

I generally get bored reading one book at a time so at any given moment I juggle about three. Currently:

Next: Michael Crichton
Under the Dome: Stephen King
The Secret King: The myth and reality of Nazi Occultism: Stephan Flowers and a second author that I can't think of right now.

Oh and in between, I usually read journal articles and other boring shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.