Wasabi's Whatever Thread (AMA and journal)

I just realized that my newer AMA was one of the things that was in the 3 month gap and is gone. So ask me about Hawaii, Aussie & the minions, my degree, my job (to an extent), my likes/dislikes, etc. I'm also going to try to keep this thread around as a personal journal. Currently, I post a lot of this stuff on the General forum, but I'd like to keep it more in one place so I can track a few things easier.

Well, now that you've finished your degree, what is next on the agenda for stressing yourself out?
I'm the city & county substance abuse and prevention program coordinator. I still haven't been given my contract (though my boss is paying me in "flex" time). I have a monitoring in 2 weeks and don't know where half of the stuff I need is. The VA paid my housing stipend for the month, but HPU still shows they're owed money for tuition so I have to find out what's happening with that. Then I'm going to have to take a couple of certification classes for the job. On top of it I'll need to take some classes so I can get my CSAC (Certified Substance Abuse Counselor) certificate which I would have tried to do even without this position. Oh and I need to study for my LSW licensing exam.

My son's turning 13 this year. Gibbers Crabst help me.

My parents will find new and interesting ways of driving my stress level up. Currently my mom's not speaking to me because when she asked about flying out to "help" with my graduation, I told her no need.

Hopefully that's about it.

The part I have to keep reminding myself is that you see liquid splashing all around, and you have reference with things like ice bucket challenge videos, and think, "OK so it's hot, but other than that, NBD," right? Well, no. That lava may be liquid, but it still weighs just as much as if it was made of stone...because it is.
1gal of water ~8lb (1l = 1kg of course). But lava? Assuming it weighs just as much as basalt (and why wouldn't it?), that means 1gal of lava is gonna weigh almost 3x as much, or ~23lb (1l lava = ~2.8kg), so even if the leidenfrost effect somehow gives you a few extra seconds' time to pull away, getting "splashed" is going to be like getting hit with a red-hot bag of sand.

--Patrick

Even though you're on a different island, how freaky has this eruption been for you?
It's like hearing there was a tornado a few counties over. It's close enough for mild concern, but you know you're ok. Aussie lived a lot closer to Mt. Etna (about 17 miles) than we are to Kilauea (120 miles).

So next on the agenda is for Wasabi to shape up. A circle may be a shape, but I don't like it on me. My face is so round. Worse, my daughter thinks I weigh 450 pounds (I forget what she was asking about, but she did compare me to something she thought would be 450 pounds). I'm not even close, but I am obese according to medical charts. It's not that I want to be thin or a certain clothing size. I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror without wanting to cry.

I keep making excuses for my poor eating habits and not exercising. My busy schedule has been the biggest obstacle. Well, I have more time on my hands so that's out the door now. I just don't know where to start. Aussie's a personal trainer. Yes, he can help and I can join the gym he works at for free. I have an exercise program he designed for me a few years ago. I have to change my eating habits though. I can't say "Oh I just need portion control" because that's only part of how I fool myself. "Oh I'll just have a little bit of this," and then I keep going back for little bits.

A bunch of my friends use MLM programs (no, friend, you aren't a "health coach" because you sell shake mix to people and I'm not buying your crap or joining your cult circle). I have a few friends who do the keto diet, which I wouldn't mind except I think it is way too restrictive. So many fruits that you can't eat. No beans. Most grains are out, including oatmeal. I want moderation, not "The Do Not Eat" list.

I think this also means I should have an exam with my doctor. Face the music. I go for my regular ob/gyn stuff. I just had a mammogram. But I haven't sat to talk with my regular doc about improving my overall health. I'm embarrassed to step on the scale, so I avoid going. But I know I need to. I hate blood draws because they are never easy. That increases my avoidance.

I hate being like this.

Last edited:
My bust schedule has been the biggest obstacle.
...second funniest typo in a long time (since squidleybits’ vanished in the wipe).

And as far as losing weight goes, we have a healthy discussion going on in the halfitness thread about the safest ways to drop weight, but there is some controversy as to the best method(s).

—Patrick

Last edited:
It's Mother's Day. I made my obligatory post on IG with a picture of my mom & kids. The day gives me mixed feelings. I love being a mom. I just hope I'm doing a better job at it than my own mother did with me.

Are you all planning on staying in HI?

Do you take it for granted living at travel destination?

Do tourists bug you?

How often do you swim in the ocean?

That interactive map is... interesting. Looks like a whole subdivision on the Big Island is essentially gone.

One of my participants from last summer's youth employment program was found dead yesterday. She was apparently killed by her boyfriend. She was such a nice person with a good-heart. I can't imagine why anyone would want to hurt her.

The part I have to keep reminding myself is that you see liquid splashing all around, and you have reference with things like ice bucket challenge videos, and think, "OK so it's hot, but other than that, NBD," right? Well, no. That lava may be liquid, but it still weighs just as much as if it was made of stone...because it is.
1gal of water ~8lb (1l = 1kg of course). But lava? Assuming it weighs just as much as basalt (and why wouldn't it?), that means 1gal of lava is gonna weigh almost 3x as much, or ~23lb (1l lava = ~2.8kg), so even if the leidenfrost effect somehow gives you a few extra seconds' time to pull away, getting "splashed" is going to be like getting hit with a red-hot bag of sand.

--Patrick
Did you see this report about a man who had his leg shattered by lava spatter?

Are you all planning on staying in HI?

Do you take it for granted living at travel destination?

Do tourists bug you?

How often do you swim in the ocean?
We're trying our best to stay here. It's way more expensive than most places in the US, but none of us want to leave unless it's absolutely necessary.

I don't think so. We live in military housing, which is generally not where the tourists are. Our jobs have little to nothing to do with tourism directly. We don't hang out in Waikiki or downtown Honolulu which is mostly where tourists go on this island. Most of the activities we do with the kids are either within the military community or more what locals would do because of the expense. Truthfully, though, we'd be pretty thick if we didn't recognize how much money is generated by tourism locally and for the state as a whole.

Overall, tourists don't bother me. Ignorant people bother me. They can be local, military, or tourist. For example: These guys that caught a green sea turtle and posted pictures. Idiots. My old neighbor who told me she loved her trip to Maui because there were more white people there and the Polynesians & Asians were the workers. She also told me that living in Hawaii was like living in a foreign country because so many people don't speak English in public and the signs are even in other languages (Japanese usually for tourists). GTFO. Locals who trash up the beaches then bitch about the tourists not respecting the 'āina - they make me twitch, too.

We had been going to the beach least once a week. 99% of the time when we go to the beach I get in the ocean (if I'm tired or hav a headache I don't). We haven't gone in the last few months because of weather, illness, too much coursework, etc. Today the kids and I are likely going and I am going to pretend I'm a mermaid for a while. :)

I did not. Ow.
I mean, it’s pretty much exactly what I described, and yay I have empirical evidence to support my postulate, but still...ow.

—Patrick
I couldn't believe it when I saw the headlines. We just had this conversation and now there's the proof. I want to know how badly he was burned and if his leg could be saved.

Saw Solo today. Loved it. It made me want to talk to Tim. We could compare notes over what we liked and didn't like and what old canon they brought back and laugh over some of the funny stuff and talk about Emilia Clarke's wardrobe...but, of course, I can't since he died 2 years ago.

I've been depressed since we got home. I think I'll just go to bed early.

Yesterday we celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary. It's so weird to think that we've been married this long and together even longer. Today, I told one of my coworkers that when we got married I figured out how much time we had physically spent in each other's presence. It came out to about a month even though we had been a couple for close to a year and a half. I have to wonder if all of the distance, with him living overseas and deploying a couple of times, at the beginning of our relationship & marriage is why it feels like we haven't been together all that long.