1. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Already a member? Login Now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice

[Question] Wall behaving weirdly

Discussion in 'Health and Advice' started by Bubble181, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Bubble181

Bubble181 The odd one out

Behind the eyes of a *really* realistic android
    Books:
    Yes, useless title, but that's because I honestly don't know what I'm looking at.
    In our new house, there's a wall. It's the dividing wall with our neighbor's house. As far as I know, it's concrete. And it was painted. I'm 100% sure that, when we moved in, it was smooth. And now, there's these things (see pictures, finger for size comparison). They look like blisters, with the paint coming off if you brush it even lightly. OK, so they're not huge, but they're in pretty much the middle of what was an empty, light wall, so they're quite noticeable. I was wondering if it was moisture, but it feels dry, and there's nothing fluid-like nearby - the kitchen's upstairs, but there's no pipes on that side, just the stove and the fridge - and the wall behind those is bone dry. I was worried it might be concrete rot, but that doesn't really look like this from what I've seen. It doesn't smell moldy... Anyone here have a better guess/idea/suggestion about what might be going on with the wall? Just a case of "wrong type of paint for the surface"? Something hideous that'll take thousands of euros to sort-of fix? :/ IMG_20170320_232907.jpg IMG_20170320_232914.jpg IMG_20170320_232921.jpg

Attached Files:

2. drifter

drifter Porkchop Express

Books:
    Moisture seepage would still be my guess.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Shakey

Shakey One Of Us

Books:
    It's possible there was mold, or something else, on the wall that wasn't completely cleaned before painting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PatrThom

PatrThom Genuinely Curious

Books:
    Pretty sure it was either painted while wet or is experiencing moisture from the other side, especially if you like to keep your side cooler than your neighbor does his side.
    You should be able to strip the offending wall and then paint it with something like DryLok as a base coat to keep it from happening (and keep all the moisture on your neighbor's side).

--Patrick

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. stienman

stienman GRATUITOUS AMOUNTS OF ENERGY

Media:
    Books:
    Bad paint job. They either used the wrong paint or didn't clean the wall well enough. If you just rent bring it up to the owner/landlord and have them fix it.

If you want it don't right you pretty much have to strip off all the bad, clean the wall, and use an appropriate moisture sealing indoor concrete paint.

You could just flake off the bad and spot paint but it's only going to get worse over the rest of the wall. It's cheaper than doing it right, though...

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. drawn_inward

drawn_inward One Of Us

Books: