Vista Profile Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friends laptop which always fails to load the profile, and logs you into a temp one. I've tried just renaming the users folder to see if it would rebuild it, but it keeps putting me in a temp profile.

Microsoft says to make a whole new user and just copy all the old user files over to the new one, but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. I may try This, but I'm not real familiar with the registry and I hate to experiment on someone's computer.

Any ideas?

Recreate the ID.

I even have to do that on my domain from time to time.

Just be careful when copying. Just get Bookmarks, Desktop, Documents, and maybe .pst file if he is using outlook. Don't copy the settings, you may grab the corrupted file.

M

Matt²

Recreate the ID.

I even have to do that on my domain from time to time.

Just be careful when copying. Just get Bookmarks, Desktop, Documents, and maybe .pst file if he is using outlook. Don't copy the settings, you may grab the corrupted file.
I've had this happen a few times, but never had any issues when copying the whole users file over and making a new profile - it really is the easiest way. If you've got time on your hands, I'd recommend running a "CHKDSK /R" from a command prompt (from a bootup cd/dvd, not in Windows) and let it fix any errors first, but that's my opinion.

Well, I did a new user and copied everything over. It all looks good so far.

I already did a chkdsk before this to see if it would fix it. Time to do the obligatory adware/virus scans.

Status
Not open for further replies.