Vinyl

Let me tell you guys... this LP, 12 inch, by Masonry? Worst album I've ever heard. Hands down. I can't believe anybody listens to this crap. "Discard if Damaged" is a halfway decent track, though.

I've always found that 12in cut to be a bit abrasive, even if Forney did carve out their own niche in rock.

--Patrick

No one else is hitting the shops? Oh, well. On with today's haul from Attic in Pittsburgh...

Giant Steps is a plum label ~'61 copy. Wheels of Fire tri-color Atco. Both hard to find. And they both just fell into my lap.

The nice thing about my schedule is I tend to hit the shops first thing in the morning after they've just put out the new arrivals. :D

I have the Peter Gunn one.

The main reasons I don't hit the shops are a) we already have so much vinyl and b) we don't have anything to play it on right now.

--Patrick

Glue job went well on the Sinatra. Quieted the surface noise decently. No skips. Side two will be the real test. Some really big pops need straightened out.

A Night at the Opera didn't fare so well. Did not remove the skips on Death On Two Legs. At that point it wasn't worth checking You're My Best Friend. Fate is sealed. Back to the shop it goes.

(And I *still* haven't gotten into the habit of a listen test AT the store before I leave.)

The new remaster of Houses of the Holy has a pressing error on the US version. Excessive distortion on The Ocean. The EU version was pressed at a different plant, and does not have the distortion.

So I order my copy from Amazon UK. Total price at checkout with standard shipping is actually less than the US version before tax or shipping*. :D

*Per the Amazon currency converter.

I have the Peter Gunn one.

The main reasons I don't hit the shops are a) we already have so much vinyl and b) we don't have anything to play it on right now.

--Patrick
This place is local to you, right? Last craigslist post I saw from them, they've got some good turntables available right now.

Found a new store about 15 miles south of me. Assumption Records in Rivesville. A bit more expensive than the ones in Pittsburgh, but I made out fantastic yesterday...

Given this morning's events, I dragged this one out of our collection for a photo op:
hd71usripdb.jpg

I would even give it an honorary spin if only we had a decent platter to put it on.
Can you believe I pulled this out of someone's trash over 25yrs ago?

--Patrick

Given this morning's events, I dragged this one out of our collection for a photo op:
View attachment 20152
I would even give it an honorary spin if only we had a decent platter to put it on.
Can you believe I pulled this out of someone's trash over 25yrs ago?

--Patrick
The fye at the local mall finally started selling vinyl again over the summer. Picked this up this morning.

Rebel Rebel in the West Village, NYC, will close for good at the end of the months. I had to stop in at least once before they do. $100 there doesn't go anywhere near as afr as it does at Jerry's in Pittsburgh. But I came away happy.

That's a first issue pre-remix copy of Aoxomoxoa up there. :D

I have the same Carole King album sitting not 10ft from me.
No Aoxomoxoa, though. Which is a surprise, considering how much Kati's family liked the Dead.

--Patrick

My brother bought my dad a nice turntable for his birthday last year and we've been listening to all sorts of stuff.

Most recent was the original cast recording of Man of LaMancha, as well as some Dean Martin. I'm hoping to get my hands on some Bowie, Queen and maybe some 70's/80's rock/metal.

My brother bought my dad a nice turntable for his birthday last year and we've been listening to all sorts of stuff.

Most recent was the original cast recording of Man of LaMancha, as well as some Dean Martin. I'm hoping to get my hands on some Bowie, Queen and maybe some 70's/80's rock/metal.
I bought my dad a reeeally nice turntable about 20yrs ago.
I might be the first person to actually use it...when I inherit it.
He has so much vinyl (what wasn't lost in the basement flood 8 years ago, that is). So frustrating.

--Patrick

I found this among the remainder of my parent's record collection. May not be interesting to many, but I really enjoyed this when I was younger, and have been vacillating whether to buy the CD on amazon or not, since the CDs are over $30 (cassettes going for $200+).

image.jpeg

Last edited:
For those unaware, Wendy was born Walter. She started hormone replacement therapy in 1968, underwent gender reassignment surgery in 1972, but essentially closeted her transition to the public, going on business meetings and on stage as a man until 1978 when she used several interviews with Playboy magazine to come out. Later she said, "The public turned out to be amazingly tolerant or, if you wish, indifferent ... There had never been any need of this charade to have taken place. It had proven a monstrous waste of years of my life."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_Carlos
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20091206,00.html

As such it's important for those looking for her work to also search under "Walter Davis," for instance her work on A Clockwork Orange was credited under Walter, but Tron was credited under Wendy.

Anyone looking for more Wendy Carlos CDs, amazon's showing that switched on bach and switched on bach 2 are available for $25 now, about half their usual going price. Third party, new.

Dave

Staff member
DA I don't have any idea where you get these albums that cheaply. All the places around here sell them for $20-40 a pop no matter what band they are.

This is a hobby that I'm really, REALLY interested in, but haven't done anything about it since it's such a money sink.

DA I don't have any idea where you get these albums that cheaply. All the places around here sell them for $20-40 a pop no matter what band they are.

This is a hobby that I'm really, REALLY interested in, but haven't done anything about it since it's such a money sink.
Jerry's Records in Squirrel Hill in Pittsburgh, and Attic Records in Millvale in Pittsburgh. $10 at Jerry's is considered expensive.

New releases do go for ~$25-35 each, so I tend to go for used when I can.