Vinyl

BananaHands

Staff member
Does anyone activelly collect/listen to vinyl records?

My brother bought my a turntable over Christmas and I've slowly been getting into it.

BananaHands

Staff member
I can't wait until I move to D.C., make hipster friends and always bring them around you so they can talk about how 'ironic' your shirts are.

ElJuski

Staff member
I can't wait until I move to D.C., make hipster friends and always bring them around you so they can talk about how 'ironic' your shirts are.
You're never going to move to DC because you spend all of your money on Coachella tickets and vinyls.

I actually miss my Vynil copy of Young Americans and Hunky Dory.

I've owned Hunky Dory on every medium available. IMO, it's the best album ever made.

Necro necro necro...

Still looking to go vinyl, and definitely not paying $700-$1000 for a "new" SL-1200. I've seen them on Amazon and ebay as low as $300 (even lower sometimes... but with $170 shipping).

An alternative I've found is the Audio-Technica AT-LP120. Goes new for as low as $250. But... is it worth it? People seem to love it or hate it. A fair number of the haters go on to say they spend upwards of $1200 on a phono cartridge. That's way too much for me. I'm more likely to spend $90 on a Shure M97xE or go with the stock AT-95e. both seem to be regarded well enough at needledoctor.com.

Once that's out of the way, I can start on my version of Rusty Venture's record collection.

Today's haul:

(obscured by glare bottom right is Camel - Mirage)

After speaking with the proprietor of Jerry's Records in Pittsburgh, I ordered the AT-LP120 from Amazon. $261.78 including tax and one-day shipping. :D

Switch the positions of the ELP and Al Caiola, and then you'll have 'em right.

Nothing terribly wrong with that, assuming they're all at least 160/48.

--Patrick
They were all recorded from the radio onto cassette, and then "ripped" to mp3 by playing the stereo with the pc microphone held in front.

Don't forget the tube amp, and the cheap hundred dollar
They were all recorded from the radio onto cassette, and then "ripped" to mp3 by playing the stereo with the pc microphone held in front.
Whoa... It's like you've got the same recording rig I have!

Except mine also come with random questions from children who came and bothered me while I was ripping mine.

My table died a few years ago, I should probably get a new one. The AT-LP120 Looks pretty nice, and it should make it easy to finally get my Journey Through the Past album ripped to my computer.

Order arrived Tuesday night and it's all set up...

Only thing I really need to complete the rig is a proper receiver with a real phono in, instead of a repurposed random line in.

The tweaking has begun. Other threads in other forums suggested o-rings to help dampen the tonearm, so I did this:

At the very least, I had to rebalance the tonearm after I was done. I think I did a better job of it compared to the day it arrived. Next step is to replace the felt slipmat with a rubber mat.

that's some classics right there.

Now you just have to find yourself a copy of Dark Side of the Moon.
They had a couple copies, but they were both a little more beat up than I'd like. My priority was to find prog I didn't have yet. turns out that stuff goes out almost as fast as it comes in. I may be better off hitting up online shops for new copies or ebay for used with those titles.

(ETA: Long thread on cleaning records with a coating of wood glue. I'm tempted to give it a try on some of the antique store buys. Eye in the Sky may be the first vic^H^H^H guinea pig.)

Last edited:
I did a glue job on my copy of Romantic Warrior. Glued one side, and then did a spritz of record wash (3 parts distilled water, one part 91% isopropyl alcohol, and a few drops of Fit) on both sides to reduce static after the peel. The results were stunning. The glue side was almost as clear as a brand new copy. The wash alone side was still a bit noisy.

People swear by that wood glue trick. I'm still tempted to get a really good turntable and rip some stuff, just don't want to spend the time/money.

--Patrick

Heh. I have that Oldfield album, too! (though I think mine is the black jacketed version) Some things you can't avoid, I guess.

--Patrick

Never heard of Discogs.
I mainly have a lot of leftover vinyl from my parents, as well as what I've picked up myself from trash day around the neighborhood.

Probably the biggest jewel is a copy of Hunky Dory I found on someone's curb.

--Patrick

It's a good place to seek out info on your physical music collection. Is your copy of whatever the original release? Rerelease? Re-rerelease? It's probably indexed here. And then there's a marketplace to buy from other users when you want to fill in the gaps. Feedback system is in place to help keep everyone honest.