[Comics] Venom comics

Hey y'all!

My older brother is doing an adopt a family thing for Christmas and buying presents for a family of like 4. One of the kids, a 12 year old boy, asked for Venom Comics. My brother doesn't know anything about comics and asked for my opinion but Venom isn't really one I'm as familiar with. Now my problem is your problem! Yay!

What archs and trades would you recommend? My concern is that since venom is a little more violent anti-hero and the kid is only 12 there's going to be not a lot really suitable for him. Like anything with Carnage is probably right out I'd think. Would it be better to go with the Agent Venom stuff? Maybe focus on his stint with the Guardians of the Galaxy?

I'm leaning towards his origin arch then strait to agent venom right now.

Oh geez, you could go all the way back to Secret Wars (1984) if you really wanted to. Show how the symbiote entered the Marvel Universe, left Peter, hooked up with Eddie in 1988, and you have until 1992 before Carnage and the others show up.

—Patrick

Last edited:
Ok, I think I'm going to go with Spiderman: birth of venom which will cover the introduction of the black suit all the way to joinging with Eddie Brock and their first two fights.

Then I'll do the volume where it gets transferred to Flash and they do the agent venom stuff.

He joins the GotG in a free comic book day issue so I'm not sure if they could get just that and then GotG vol 3 where he's a full on member. But the space knight stuff just looks so fun though! Ugh decisions.

Old school original Venom comics? Like Lethal Protector or Separation Anxiety? Or modern Venom comics, which would be completely unrecognizable to a kid who's a fan of the movie. Lethal Protector is what MOST of the Tom Hardy was lifted from.

Amazon product

This collection includes Separation Anxiety amongst a bunch of other Venom comics. I think Separation Anxiety is a good pick for kids who like the movie since it involves the same symbiote villain amongst the bad guys ones.

Amazon product

Apparently Amazon links get borked.

ANYWAYS, I recommend Lethal Protector and the Separation Anxiety collections.

I was a stupid kid who loved Venom comics once too.

Last edited: