US presidential election, the two thousand sixteenthening

On the election - Hillary has the will, financial backing, and professional support needed to win. None of the Republicans have anything close to that and the idea that they would run Romney again is laughable, especially after he made it clear how much he hates about 45% of the population. Hillary will win, if only because Republican don't have a coherent platform anymore.

On Congress - Reverse Citizens United and make it so all campaign contributions must be reported by the donor. That's all that needs to happen.

On Congress - Reverse Citizens United and make it so all campaign contributions must be reported by the donor. That's all that needs to happen.
I'm not holding my breath. The citizenry has the internet now to placate them and keep them busy/entertained while Rome burns around them.

I'm not holding my breath. The citizenry has the internet now to placate them and keep them busy/entertained while Rome burns around them.
This. Though many suffer, the majority are kept too comfortable to want to rock the boat too hard. I say that and it includes me. I want civil reform, not open revolution. I just know my way is unlikely to work because trying to get Congress to improve Congress, trying to get Congress to remove power from Congress, these aren't going to happen.

I've always been of the belief that there should be term limits on congress - and on all legislative elected positions (state) and the governors offices.

I've always been of the belief that there should be term limits on congress - and on all legislative elected positions (state) and the governors offices.
What happens in those cases is that the defacto power will fall onto the unelected staff of these offices, with rotating figureheads ever couple of years. People who actually know how to do their jobs are irreplaceable and it's why you'll see some guys working in the same position for decades.

Make no mistake, the only people that would suffer in this "going over the edge" scenario are posting on this board. There will be absolutely zero consequences for the corporations and corporate interests in power. All politicians will be safe breathlessly blaming the other side.

Your system was screwed BEFORE that decision. That's not enough to stop it. You need to stop the money ITSELF. Canada's rules: $1000/person/year in political contributions. PERIOD. You want to volunteer your time knocking on doors? Go for it (uncompensated for gas, or whatever). But monetary? That's ALL you get to do. And corporations/charities/lobbying groups/etc are BANNED from contributing to candidates.

And as much as this last one can have bad, it has greater good: ban advertising from anybody BUT candidates or parties for 40 days (30 days, whatever), prior to the actual election date. Up here it's easier, as we have an actual 40-day countdown from dissolution of parliament, but something equivalent down there. While this does stifle the voices that aren't DIRECTLY involved, it also means that 3rd-party interests that don't have spending limits can't flood the airwaves (and internet, and print, etc). The good outweighs the bad.

I just don't see how Romney could win in 2016, let alone get the nomination. He got ravaged by that 47% thing and he hasn't exactly tried to do anything since... and there are much better Republican candidates they could run.

I'm not exactly thrilled with Hillary ether, but she's got all the connections and experience to do the job and the absolute failure of Benghazi (which has had at least -3- investigations that turned up nothing, including the one run by the Republicans) to become a scandal has shown just how deft she is, politically. It doesn't hurt that she'd likely be bringing Bill to the table as well and, like him or not, his people and political skills are phenomenal. That's two premiere, relevant statesmen vs a vulture capitalist.

the absolute failure of Benghazi (which has had at least -3- investigations that turned up nothing, including the one run by the Republicans) to become a scandal has shown just how deft she is, politically.
I'm as cynical as the next guy and no hillary supporter, but I think that's less her being a Teflon Don and more that there was just literally NOTHING there in Benghazi

GasBandit

Staff member
Except, you know, the corpses of an ambassador and 3 other americans whose deaths were caused by systematic bureaucratic incompetence and cynical apathy, but which were instead then blamed on a youtube video nobody had ever heard of for the purposes of furthering a political agenda.

But other than that, yeah, nothing at all.

Except, you know, the corpses of an ambassador and 3 other americans whose deaths were caused by systematic bureaucratic incompetence and cynical apathy, but which were instead then blamed on a youtube video nobody had ever heard of for the purposes of furthering a political agenda.

But other than that, yeah, nothing at all.
come on, I hold you in higher esteem than House Republicans