[News] US Navy woman rape story - not funny at all. (Originally thought to be a funny story.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
... and the woman is going to need to be transferred because people are going to try and kill her for "not knowing her place".

Fun Fact: It's actually not that hard to break the knives most people carry. They are made of cheap metal that'll break the second it hits bone. assuming the handle doesn't just snap.

Fun Fact: It's actually not that hard to break the knives most people carry. They are made of cheap metal that'll break the second it hits bone. assuming the handle doesn't just snap.
Fun Fact: Would it be your first instinct to break the knife in half for pure intimidation?

Fun Fact: Would it be your first instinct to break the knife in half for pure intimidation?
Nope, I'd probably be too busy sobbing from the knife wound I got for trying something like that. I'm afraid I'm not awesome enough to pull off such a move.

In before "how about you don't rape at all instead, huh huh huh?"

But yeah, this is pretty badass of her. Also, he managed to end up between her thighs, but not in the way he wanted.

Dave

Staff member
(*psst* The thread title is meant to be ironic in nature. Shhh!)

edit: Apparently I needed to spoiler this.

Dave

Staff member
It's almost like rape is a terrible, not a funny topic.
Not as it stands, but the serious beatdown of a potential rapist by his intended target is fricking hilarious. Which is what I thought this story was about until the truth had to go & ruin it.

I actually..I think even he did receive a beat down it wouldn't have been funny.

Like...at all.

I mean, I'm on of those that can find humour in anything and often find people flying off the handle over CERTAIN rape jokes to be eye roll worthy but, uh, yeh...a situation where someone is about ot be raped but manages to beat down the rapist doesn't seem very funny at all.

It just seems lucky.

I didn't realize it was supposed to be funny, I thought people were just excited and happy that some lady kicked a evil guys ass.

I'm confused though, according to the new article it sounds like it DID happen the way it was reported (at least probably?) but the lady wasn't in the navy, but possibly a civilian mariner?

Dave

Staff member
I didn't realize it was supposed to be funny, I thought people were just excited and happy that some lady kicked a evil guys ass.

I'm confused though, according to the new article it sounds like it DID happen the way it was reported (at least probably?) but the lady wasn't in the navy, but possibly a civilian mariner?
My whole thing was that I thought it was funny. Here's this drunk idiot seeing a woman and going, "RAAAH! I am man! I can do whatever I want! I think I'll be all rapey!" and then the woman he attempts to accost takes away his weapon, breaks it and then beats the crap out of him. It was a lesson in justice, like a guy trying to mug someone getting punked by the victim.

But alas, the story turns out to be unfunny. But I'm not the type to erase posts or try and hide things I've said, so the rest of the thread is that response.

I'm not out to be sententious or anything; I just see this differently. I agree with LittleSin said, attempted rape doesn't strike my funny bone. Great, let's say she was GI Jane and kicked this guy's ass: you may well see that as instant justice, but I do not. I see this as: a man who believes his sexual desire trumps her humanity (possibly he doesn't see her as human), which is a tragic disconnection -and we can talk about why these people are this way forever- and a woman who is forced to protect herself, possibly violently, from great physical and psychological harm. Even if she handily beat him, which appears not to be the case now, the reality is she was confronted with the fact that there are people see her as something to be used. I don't care how much ass you kick, that's a profoundly sad thought.

I'm glad she could resist, of course. But I don't see the humour. I am pained that these things happen. I think we also see concepts like 'lesson in justice' quite differently.

At all events, as I said, I am not here to cast an eye of shame on anybody, or kick over your sandcastle and piss in your cheerios. First, I'm no one's moral compass, and second, I'm not the arbiter of good taste and humour.

But, shit.

What a shame that only graphic details of what the woman went through tipped people off that this shit isn't funny.

Even in the original story, the facts of her abduction and that she was forced to use that kind of violence against an attacker are not funny.

Sure, she is badass and what she did is impressive and awesome. But finding humor here shows a total lack of empathy for the woman, who was not simply a character in the story of some guy's comeuppance. Nor do the vast majority of women in that situation have the skills or wherewithal to escape being raped, and not just attacked and molested like this one.

Another Two things:

1) I can't help but to think of all the women this guy mgiht have gotten away with raping.

2) I don't know if you guys remember but I once accounted to you all about how I was walking back to my car from my sisters birthday party, alone, when a guy pinned me to the wall by my throat. I fought back...he was getting handsy...he punched me...and then I laced my keys through my fingers and started to punch the guy over and over with them. He ran away screaming and I chased him until I saw my car.

I lost my show and glasses and had to go back for them.

I didn't report it. I just told people about it.

So...I was the theoretical woman in the "original" story.

I don't feel empowered at all. Sure. I'm a bit proud...but only because I made him run, screaming, away. I still don't like going places alone at night where I never had a problem with that before, even if he never really did anything.

So...I guess I have a different view of things, is all.

My whole thing was that I thought it was funny. Here's this drunk idiot seeing a woman and going, "RAAAH! I am man! I can do whatever I want! I think I'll be all rapey!" and then the woman he attempts to accost takes away his weapon, breaks it and then beats the crap out of him. It was a lesson in justice, like a guy trying to mug someone getting punked by the victim.

But alas, the story turns out to be unfunny. But I'm not the type to erase posts or try and hide things I've said, so the rest of the thread is that response.
Gotcha. I guess I paid more attention to the article than the thread.

Dave

Staff member
Two points:

• I guess my sense of jet-black humor isn't shared by everyone.
  • HOLY ZENMONKEY, BATMAN!!!

. But finding humor here shows a total lack of empathy for the woman
Oh how wrong this statement is, so very very wrong.

As many comedians will say, a subject is only not funny when the audience is not able to grasp the fact that humor comes from a dark place and everything is fair game. It's not intended to hurt or they'd be direct insults. Any harm taken is solely laid at the individual who's listening feet. Simple as that. No deepeer meaning.

To me, the appeal of the story wasn't in humor, it was in the perceived justice of the situation. A woman beating up her potential rapist tickled my sense of justice the same way watching Casey Heynes body slam a bully did.

Dave

Staff member
See, what I'm saying is that a lot more people would be finding the humor in this had it been a kid beating up the kid who bullied him. Remember that kid in Australia that snapped and beat the crap out of his bully? Didn't we all cheer and laugh at that? Isn't this essentially the same thing?[DOUBLEPOST=1367034358][/DOUBLEPOST]And by essentially the same thing I mean the justice part, not the act. I'm in no way saying bullying = rape. For the record. Before someone puts words in my mouth.

See, what I'm saying is that a lot more people would be finding the humor in this had it been a kid beating up the kid who bullied him. Remember that kid in Australia that snapped and beat the crap out of his bully? Didn't we all cheer and laugh at that? Isn't this essentially the same thing?[DOUBLEPOST=1367034358][/DOUBLEPOST]And by essentially the same thing I mean the justice part, not the act. I'm in no way saying bullying = rape. For the record. Before someone puts words in my mouth.
You need new material for your radio gig, 'cause this ain't cutting it.

Hmm. I'm confliccted about this. On one hand, I didn't find the original story particularly funny. On the other hand, I can see without a problem how someone might find it funny, the same way a dead baby most certainly isn't funny, but there are still plenty of "dead baby" jokes.

I disagree with Zen, as well. A lack of empathy for the woman would lead to considering this an assault story - he did something she didn't approve of, she kicked the shit out of him*. That's not funny. My feelings are, I think, mostly in line with what Bhamv said: it could make for an "awesome" story (if she had no trauma or enduring damage from this situation) of justice and the eaker one striking back and so on (as the comparison has been made with bullying). It falls short of this because of the injury - be it physical or psychological - still incurred by the intended victim. Had she gotten away scott free (psychologically included, which I'll grant is probably impossible unless she herself was already psychologically damaged to begin with), it could be an inspiring tale of overcoming adversity.

Chad: what you say is all very true, but the same can be said for very, very many jokes. Most jokes, when considered in any serious way, tend to be sad stories. Observe: "Two men walked into a bar. The third one ducked". Easiest and lamest joke in the world, but it's still a sad story of two men suffering serious trauma, possibly a broken nose, with a third one narrowly escaping danger.² A lot - if not most - humor comes from tragic situations.

Rape is, of course, a serious and sensitive subject³, but it is in large part a matter of scale. Dave originally saw the "awesome" side and, perhaps unknowingly, didn't appreciate the impact and the reality of this story. On the other hand, taking this type of sensitivity to an absolute extreme°, most humor is impossible. Many comedians actively avoid rape jokes because they're considered too much, and to avoid triggering someone. However, a joke about infidelity in marriage is quite common. A more absolute view could lead to saying that someone who has been the victim of an untrue partner could feel bad about those as well, so those should be avoided. And so on, straight down to not making jokes about being late for school because someone might've gotten a bad grade over it.
Once again, I am not at all trying to compare these, as there is not just a gulf but a veritable ocean of difference in scale between these sorts of things; I'm only trying to say that Dave's original take on this does not suddenly make him an unfeeling horrible sociopathic rape apologist. Or something.

*Note that a total lack of empathy = sociopath = not good at all. I'm in no way condoning or approving of any sentiment in this neighbourhood.
²Analogies, people. Once again, not AT ALL saying rape is anywhere near "walking into a bar", but it's 7 am for me (having gotten up at 2 pm yesterday) and I'm tired so I'm probably misrepresenting myself as per usual.
³And as my position on it has already been much misconstrued on these boards, I don't think I'll be posting any more in this thread.
°Which I am not at all implying anyone in this thread is anywhere near doing at all - I think so far all responses both ways have been somewhere in the "normal" range.

I didn't see the hilarity in it, but the reason I tagged this as "LOVE IT!" is because a rapist got an absolutely shit-kicking.

Really, HalForums? I can't ignore one thread without it devolving into rapists and rape apologists?

Anyone whose kneejerk reaction was to find this headline funny or uplifting is not a scumbag, and I can tell you why. In the scenario that played out in their mind, some guy jumped out of the shadows, went "Ooga booga I'm a rapist!" and then got kicked in the face.

What wasn't thought about was what actually happened, or what that woman went through, or will continue to go through afterwards.

This is a symptom of people being busy and immediately putting together simple scenarios from headlines rather than anyone being rape apologists.

Except for Dave. That guy fucking loves rape.

Status
Not open for further replies.