[News] US Capitol Siege 6 January 2021

figmentPez

Staff member
I really hate it when people make bad arguments for positions/conclusions that I support.

"The Secret Service hired outside counsel, that means they're hiding something!"

The Secret Service are most assuredly hiding something. If they're not hiding important Jan 6th texts, then they've got some serious problems with incompetence, and the procedures they've got for data storage. There's something wrong in the Secret Service. However, that's has nothing to do with them hiring outside counsel (if indeed they did such). Anyone who is under investigation for a potential crime should have counsel. Getting a lawyer is what smart people do, whether they're guilty or innocent.

Holy fucking shit, arguing that hiring counsel is the act of a guilty person is copaganda! There's no fucking point in trying to fight fascism by promoting fascism.

Holy fucking shit, arguing that hiring counsel is the act of a guilty person is copaganda!
This is a problem I have with so many movies/tv shows. Only bad guys do this to the point that for a lot of people the phrase "I want my lawyer" means "I'm guilty as sin" the same way "I'm not racist but..." means "let me tell you how racist I am".

Even on the rare occasions someone who isn't guilty asks for their lawyers this is still presented as a jerkass wasting police time for shits & giggles instead of the reasonable actions of a sane & even semi-intelligent person.

Also my autocorrect wanted to change "jerkass" to "mermaid" of all things. I might start calling right wing jerkasses mermaids from now on when they're being all assholery. Seems like the sort of thing that will amuse me & annoy them.

The prosecution didn't play around. They basically said "He was served a subpoena, he didnt show and refused to show, that's guilty". Defense didn't really have anything to present.

figmentPez

Staff member
The prosecution didn't play around. They basically said "He was served a subpoena, he didnt show and refused to show, that's guilty". Defense didn't really have anything to present.
True, but I can't help but worry that this will be spun into "Bannon's lawyers so terrified of kangaroo court that they can't even present a defense. See how lawless this country has become. It's time for all good Trumpers to rise up with their guns and take back your country."

True, but I can't help but worry that this will be spun into "Bannon's lawyers so terrified of kangaroo court that they can't even present a defense. See how lawless this country has become. It's time for all good Trumpers to rise up with their guns and take back your country."
I was thinking the same thing. His lawyers didn’t call any witnesses. They just petitioned the judge to dismiss the case over and over. After a while they will spin it as “See! They didn’t let us call any witnesses! The whole thing was a sham from the start!”

GasBandit

Staff member
I was thinking the same thing. His lawyers didn’t call any witnesses. They just petitioned the judge to dismiss the case over and over. After a while they will spin it as “See! They didn’t let us call any witnesses! The whole thing was a sham from the start!”
Exactly. The same way every republican other than Liz Cheney refused to join the commission, and then they started decrying the lack of republicans on the commission.

It happened even faster than I thought.
After former Trump adviser Steve Bannon was found guilty Friday of contempt of Congress, attorney and former Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz was on Newsmax complaining about the jury, calling the conviction “entirely in violation of the Constitution,” and predicting that a higher court will “very likely” overturn it. “The only provision of the Constitution, which appears basically twice, is trial by jury in and in front of a fair jury. Number one, he didn’t have a fair jury. Number two, the judge took his defenses away from him,” claimed Dershowtiz.

What? There was something rotten going on with the department full of the people charged with surrounding and protecting possibly the most corrupt president in the entire history of the United States?

Shocker!

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Accused January 6 rioter fired shots at police during standoff ahead of arrest, court documents say

"A Texas man facing charges in connection to the January 6, 2021, insurrection at the US Capitol opened fire on law enforcement officers last week when they arrived at his house in the Dallas area for a welfare check, according to an affidavit. "
"Pelham’s father called law enforcement on April 12, warning that his son had a gun and was threatening suicide, the affidavit said."
"Deputy J.W. heard another gunshot and reported that ‘the bullet from this gunshot came in so close proximity to myself that I could hear the distinct whistling sound as the bullet traveled by me and then strike a metal object to my right side.’"

"The standoff lasted until shortly after midnight when law enforcement left without arresting Pelham,"

He was eventually arrested nearly a week later.

I beleive the character was quietly removed from the show after that so I would’ve been more surprised if it wasn’t him.

figmentPez

Staff member
Proud Boy on house arrest in Jan. 6 case disappears ahead of sentencing

"Christopher Worrell, 52, of Naples, Florida, was supposed to be sentenced Friday after being found guilty of spraying pepper spray gel on police officers, as part of the mob storming the Capitol as Congress was certifying Joe Biden’s presidential victory on Jan. 6, 2021. Prosecutors had asked a judge to sentence him to 14 years.

"The sentencing was canceled and a bench warrant for his arrest issued under seal on Tuesday, according to court records."

Personally, I think they should just be dumped onto Devil's Island. They'll have their white ethnostate until the malaria hits.