Export thread

US Capitol Siege 6 January 2021

Limit: 500

jwhouk

jwhouk

Threading it.

EDIT: Don't know if we want to consolidate or not.

Shakey

Shakey

I hope every one of these smug assholes get tracked down and charged.

jwhouk

jwhouk

jwhouk

jwhouk

jwhouk

jwhouk

jwhouk

jwhouk

Biden to speak in Delaware now.
Post automatically merged:

"An Assault on the Citadel of Liberty."

jwhouk

jwhouk

Oh, damn, he's pissed.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

And rightly so. I am shocked. I’m sorry this is happening.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Enough is enough is enough.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Fucking Trump's speech started with "The election was stolen."

General Specific

General Specific

So, just checking here, the BLM marches were "not how to protest" but this is??

figmentPez

figmentPez

Sources say that the terrorists intend to hold the Capitol building through the night.

figmentPez

figmentPez

And in Austin, TX:

This is a coordinated assault on the entire country.

General Specific

General Specific

Sources say that the terrorists intend to hold the Capitol building through the night.

Good, give Law Enforcement time to assemble and properly barricade the area so that every single one of them can be arrested.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Such respect for the flag....

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Head of the Washington DC Historical Society asserting this the first time the Capitol has been breached since 1814.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Been watching this shit happen and just had to come in to check and see how you guys were doing.

This is bat shit. I'm so sorry.

Krisken

Krisken

I'm drinking heavily.

figmentPez

figmentPez

13 arrests and 5 weapons recovered.... Those numbers had better go up.

Krisken

Krisken

13 arrests and 5 weapons recovered.... Those numbers had better go up.
6:00 PM curfew has been put into place- it will.

figmentPez

figmentPez

"We were storming the Capitol. It's a revolution."

Fun Size

Fun Size

Me: Okay, this year I'll actually slow down or stop drinking completely.
Me, today after clicking refresh on Twitter for three hours straight: You know, I'm a huge fan of Ryan Reynolds, and it wouldn't be fair to him, another guy, a girl, and a pizza place if I didn't at least try Aviation gin.

Maybe January 21st I'll assess this again, but tonight I drink.

jwhouk

jwhouk

figmentPez

figmentPez

Nash is right, Dolt45 will undoubtedly pardon each and every one of the terrorists.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Nash is right, Dolt45 will undoubtedly pardon each and every one of the terrorists.
It'll be like Communion.

--Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Good, that will make them all felons.

MindDetective

MindDetective

1609977718981.png

I couldn't say about since 1865, though.

Dei

Dei

Something that infuriates me is the way it's being reported on Fox News. Because as you know, ransacking the Capitol is definitely not vandalism (uh huh), and that's all that matters.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Richard "Bigo" Barnette, independent contractor from Gravette, Arkansas, was the one who did this:

Oh, and he stole an envelope with Pelosi's signature off of her desk, though he claims he "left her a quarter for it."

figmentPez

figmentPez

Richard "Bigo" Barnette, independent contractor from Gravette, Arkansas, was the one who did this:

Oh, and he stole an envelope with Pelosi's signature off of her desk, though he claims he "left her a quarter for it."
He took a photo of himself with her mail!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

When our land is illumined with Liberty's smile,
If a foe from within strike a blow at her glory,
Down, down with the traitor that dares to defile
I quite like that bit, seems appropriate today.

mikerc

mikerc

I'm sure you already knew this but Kevin Sorbo is a fucking moron.

edit: Dammit ninja'ed in another thread

MindDetective

MindDetective

I'm sure you already knew this but Kevin Sorbo is a fucking moron.

I liked this reply:

bhamv3

bhamv3

This reply to the reply is also good, but that might be because I understood the reference.

Krisken

Krisken

Damn, that is incredible.

GasBandit

GasBandit

1609989036770.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

Krisken

Krisken

Some of those who work forces....

Frank

Frank

Frank

Frank

I laughed.

Frank

Frank

And I also laughed

BErt

BErt

Frank

Frank

I 100% did not laugh. This isn't over until Trump says it is or there will be a fucking DC massacre.

BErt

BErt

I really wonder what tomorrow is going to look like, with them going ahead and ensuring the certification happens tonight

Dave

Dave

Frank

Frank

That is actually scary.

BErt

BErt

3 of the objected states (georgia, michigan, nevada) could not get a senator to sign on to the objection. It really does look like maybe PA - if even that - and nothing else will see objection

Tress

Tress

3 of the objected states (georgia, michigan, nevada) could not get a senator to sign on to the objection. It really does look like maybe PA - if even that - and nothing else will see objection
And you were right. The objection for PA was sustained, so now they have to debate and vote on it.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

FUCK the senator that objected along with the MOB! Take them out behind the chemical sheds.

P.S. I mentioned shooting looters on another website and got banned... a right wing site.

Tress

Tress

Josh Hawley of Missouri, by the way. The fucking prick.

BErt

BErt

This is...not who I expected to hear this from

BErt

BErt

And it’s over. Vermont has been certified officially giving Biden 271. They are going to continue until they get them all done, but it’s done.

figmentPez

figmentPez

There are claims going around that some of the terrorists had antifa tattoos... Uh, no.

The "hammer and sickle" some claim to see is really from the video game Dishonored.

The heavily tattooed shirtless guy in the fur and horns? He's Jake Angeli, the "Q-Anon Shaman", and is well known to be part of the alt-right.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Fuck Matt Gaetz

bhamv3

bhamv3

There are claims going around that some of the terrorists had antifa tattoos... Uh, no.

The "hammer and sickle" some claim to see is really from the video game Dishonored.

The heavily tattooed shirtless guy in the fur and horns? He's Jake Angeli, the "Q-Anon Shaman", and is well known to be part of the alt-right.
I hate this guy for now making me associate Dishonored and the Outsider with him. This is going to taint all future Dishonored playthroughs.

BErt

BErt

@figmentPez those two things are related, and it’s the Washington Times’ fault.
Thread:

figmentPez

figmentPez

Trump supporters have no shame, and no awareness of reality.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

4 dead as of today. 1 woman shot inside the capitol, 3 from medical emergencies arising from the riot.

BErt

BErt

Repost: Morning Joe dropping an F bomb. This version of the video doesnt have my labored breathing behind it :oops:

Bubble181

Bubble181

4 patriots valiantly laid down their lives for democracy as of today. 1 woman violently murdered inside the enemy stronghold, 3 from heroic wounds sustained during the uprising against tyranny.
:whistling:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

4 dead due to cowardice of the POTUS.

4000 dead due to his incompetence.

Busy day January the 6th.

jwhouk

jwhouk

In the words of a very wise man, “Enough is enough is ENOUGH.”

Shakey

Shakey

Judging by the comments from co-workers this morning, nothing will change.
If I didn’t have a family, I would leave this country in a heartbeat. I feel a bit defeated, and I honestly think the soul of this country is lost. There is no going back to normal.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

FUCK the senator that objected along with the MOB! Take them out behind the chemical sheds.

P.S. I mentioned shooting looters on another website and got banned... a right wing site.
What's the saying? It ain't no fun when the rabbit has the gun

jwhouk

jwhouk

Legal Eagle gives my thoughts exactly.

PatrThom

PatrThom

4 dead due to cowardice of the POTUS.

4000 Almost 400,000 dead due to his incompetence.

Busy day January the 6th.
FTFY

--Patrick

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I have loved watching LegalEagle ever since I discovered him. Class guy, started for the legal movie reviews, stayed for the passion and legal knowledge.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I think he meant the total number that died of Corona-chan yesterday, but that's just me.

EDIT: According to this, it was actually 3,670 that died in the US yesterday to C-19.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

FTFY

--Patrick
4000 people died from Covid yesterday, the deadliest day so far.

PatrThom

PatrThom

4000 people died from Covid yesterday, the deadliest day so far.
Right, but I'm just clarifying that his incompetence didn't cause 4000 deaths, it caused 4000 additional deaths.

--Patrick

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Since some one died during the invasion of the capitol, is everyone involved in it on the hook for her death?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Don Jr recorded them dancing and celebrating as the assault on the Capitol building happened:

figmentPez

figmentPez

jwhouk

jwhouk

UPDATE: Biden is still pissed.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Say it with me: Sedition

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Don Jr recorded them dancing and celebrating as the assault on the Capitol building happened:

Trump did not fiddle while Rome burned. He listened to shitty pop music while his son's concubine danced.

Shawn

Shawn

This is disturbing as all fuck.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I am hearing reports that this was actually Don Jr before the rally happened and not while they were storming the Capitol. Do we have any certainty on when this was?

They still incited the mob regardless, all the talk of fighting, marching on the Capital, "Trial by Combat!", and reports that Trump was giddy when they did invade, but I don't want us getting too overtaken by misinformation.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Why would they be playing cheerful music and dancing at all? There's only two possibilities that I can see: 1. Trump is getting voted out. Not something Trump would celebrate. 2. They're anticipating unlawful overturning of the result, which is not something that it's good for them to be celebrating.

It doesn't matter if they're dancing and celebrating before or after the terrorists broke in, because the only things they could possibly be celebrating are horrible.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

This is Trump, he celebrates just the fact thousands of people are there adoring him, protesting the actual election results to install him as their messiah.

At the end you even see him wearing boxing gloves, likely psyching himself up for the speech by acting like he is Mike Tyron knocking out an opponent, because he is just that vain.

Again don't get me wrong, it's obvious he wanted to incite them. He wanted them to get rowdy and march on the Capitol. People are just spreading this like it's all going down WHILE the Capitol is being stormed, and if that isn't true I don't want us getting in the same boat Trumplicans do with just latching to misinformation too quickly. I did it myself yesterday.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Five have now officially died from the Capitol siege, and the fifth was a USCP officer.

Krisken

Krisken

As he should. They let those assholes in.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

As he should. They let those assholes in.
Check who took vacation days yesterday. Wouldn't be surprised to find a dozen or so of their own among the mob.

Krisken

Krisken

Check who took vacation days yesterday. Wouldn't be surprised to find a dozen or so of their own among the mob.
Yup, IA will have their hands full.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Like I was saying...

figmentPez

figmentPez

Full of a large tarp to cover things up?

Frank

Frank

It's astounding how easily those psychos were let off. They had at least one bomb, they had zipties, they had weapons and they would have gleefully taken a congressperson captive and if riled up enough, executed them live on Facebook.

The whole Capitol PD needs to be cleared out and started from scratch.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It's astounding how easily those psychos were let off. They had at least one bomb, they had zipties, they had weapons and they would have gleefully taken a congressperson captive and if riled up enough, executed them live on Facebook.

Once the CP murdered the one terrorist, the pussies packed up an ran out of Capitol Hill.

Krisken

Krisken

I thought it was Secret Service? Fid I hear that wrong?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Once the CP murdered the one terrorist
Excuse me?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Excuse me?
Yes, CP killed that one biotch the terrrosist left. and the terrorist left enmass.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I thought it was Secret Service? Fid I hear that wrong?
I am not sure if CP or Capitol Police, they killed a revolutionary

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Yes, CP killed that one biotch the terrrosist left. and the terrorist left enmass.
Not that. The "murdered" bit. She was killed while committing a terrorist act. Such are the consequences of that behavior.

In other news, the lack of gear Wednesday was intentional...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

god dam there is a woman that I know that wants to support trump... I n longer know hwat is possible.

BErt

BErt

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Far-right yokels have been infiltrating law enforcement and the military for years. IA needs to thoroughly investigate every Capitol Police officer for ties to extremist groups.

figmentPez

figmentPez

A Capitol Police officer gave terrorists directions to Chuck Schumer's office...

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Most videos show only pockets of people inside the Capitol who broke in through windows and side doors, but this video seems to be from the main crowd you can see on the balconeys. Imagine what might have happened had this whole mob got in before they could evacuate.

That cop being crushed into the door and screaming for help was hard to watch.

BErt

BErt

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

"From First World to Third World in Four Years."

Fucking savage.

PatrThom

PatrThom

leopardmuch.jpg

Welp.

--Patrick

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Pentagon officials sent memos on January 4 and January 5 banning DC guardsmen from doing anything other than defend themselves without direct approval from cheetos acting Defense Secretary.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Excuse me sir, but we are trying to move forwards, not backwards. It is the time for healing.

Shakey

Shakey

He’s been arrested.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

1610137266148.png

Gryfter

Gryfter

Good.

MindDetective

MindDetective

PatrThom

PatrThom

dontsprayit.png

source

...may have.

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

Yeah, "may have."

GasBandit

GasBandit

Wrong thread. @GasBandit or @Dave can you move it?
Done

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That's about as surprising as this news:

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's about as surprising as this news:

I mean, to be fair, if you actually manage to have your protest force your way into the capitol and you DON'T smear shit on everything? You wasted an opportunity.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Trump is permabanned from twitter

Zappit

Zappit

The right when they realize insurrections have consequences.

C35D0645-9EA0-427C-9BBC-7C99D82FE7E2.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

What thread did I put it in?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So, there is evidence that my state AG may have aided and abetted a terrorist attack on this country...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Celt Z

Celt Z

You know, between this and the guy who died by tazing himself in the balls* while trying to steal a painting of Tip O'Neill, it's clear only the best people are in Y'all Qaeda.

*I haven't gotten official confirmation on whether it was specifically the balls, but let's assume yes.

MindDetective

MindDetective

The XKCD thread

GasBandit

GasBandit

I forget. Something totally off the wall like the "what are you listening to" thread or something. Happens to all of us (I seem to do it once every other week).

The XKCD thread
Or that.

Shakey

Shakey

McConnell basically confirms they won’t take up the impeachment until after the inauguration.

If you weren’t such a spineless bitch, you’d find a way.

PatrThom

PatrThom

"XKCD makes me sad"

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

Feds say police found a pickup truck full of bombs and guns near Capitol insurrection as wide-ranging investigation unfurls

"An Alabama man allegedly parked a pickup truck packed with 11 homemade bombs, an assault rifle and a handgun two blocks from the US Capitol building on Wednesday for hours before authorities ever noticed, according to federal prosecutors.

"Another man allegedly showed up in the nation's capital with an assault rifle and hundreds of rounds of ammunition and told acquaintances that he wanted to shoot or run over House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, prosecutors said."

The pickup truck belonged to Lonnie Leroy Coffman of Falkville, Alabama
"Coffman, 70, told police he had mason jars filled with 'melted Styrofoam and gasoline.' Federal investigators believe that combination, if exploded, would have the effect of napalm 'insofar as it causes the flammable liquid to better stick to objects that it hits upon detonation,' according to the court record."

"None of the weapons found in his truck or on his person were registered to him."

Shawn

Shawn

Feds say police found a pickup truck full of bombs and guns near Capitol insurrection as wide-ranging investigation unfurls

"An Alabama man allegedly parked a pickup truck packed with 11 homemade bombs, an assault rifle and a handgun two blocks from the US Capitol building on Wednesday for hours before authorities ever noticed, according to federal prosecutors.

"Another man allegedly showed up in the nation's capital with an assault rifle and hundreds of rounds of ammunition and told acquaintances that he wanted to shoot or run over House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, prosecutors said."

The pickup truck belonged to Lonnie Leroy Coffman of Falkville, Alabama
"Coffman, 70, told police he had mason jars filled with 'melted Styrofoam and gasoline.' Federal investigators believe that combination, if exploded, would have the effect of napalm 'insofar as it causes the flammable liquid to better stick to objects that it hits upon detonation,' according to the court record."

"None of the weapons found in his truck or on his person were registered to him."
I predict a lot of thoughts and prayers coming up.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

"XKCD makes me sad"

--Patrick
I don't know how that happened...i never even go in that thread. Heh.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I don't know how that happened...i never even go in that thread. Heh.
Sure, that's what they all say.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Sure, that's what they all say.
Honestly, I can't stand XKCD. And while I can sympathize with a thread titled "XKCD makes me sad", I imagine going in there would involve seeing XKCD comics. Which I'd prefer not to do.

I used to have a co-worker who'd show me XKCD comics every week, which was immediately followed by me saying "you remember how I don't like XKCD?" He'd always go "but this one..."

1610202770808.png

figmentPez

figmentPez

WTF? This is just blatant propaganda that is trying to rewrite history.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Honestly, I can't stand XKCD.
I share your coworker's confusion. Given what you do and who you are, it seems like exactly the sort of thing that would be right up your alley.
I assume this is more about trying to justify their rationale for delaying/obstructing the National Guard deployment.

--Patrick

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

The government needs to be cleansed top to bottom. Anyone that has been appointed by Trump has to be removed. We can't let the foxes stay in the hen house after the alpha fox leaves. It only leaves the door open for another alpha fox to take over.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The government needs to be cleansed top to bottom. Anyone that has been appointed by Trump has to be removed. We can't let the foxes stay in the hen house after the alpha fox leaves. It only leaves the door open for another alpha fox to take over.
So you're saying we need to...drain the swamp?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Would you prefer they call it "Capitol Building Incursion"? Because oh boy, that would look bad on the official records.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Would you prefer they call it "Capitol Building Incursion"? Because oh boy, that would look bad on the official records.
"Electoral College Certification Protest" would have fine, but not the revisionist history of pretending this was about the First Amendment, after the fact.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm surprised no one is reporting that the Capitol was hit with a snowstorm.

Because that's a lot of white snowflakes.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

2021 Sacking of Capitol building by an insurrectionist army of 2020 Presidential candidate Cheeto supporters.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Most responses are probably just trolling, but I'm sure some actual idiots took the bait.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I share your coworker's confusion. Given what you do and who you are, it seems like exactly the sort of thing that would be right up your alley.

I assume this is more about trying to justify their rationale for delaying/obstructing the National Guard deployment.

--Patrick
Many XKCD comics boil down to "I'm smarter than you, and because of that, I'm better than you." Or at least that's how it feels to me. It's just not my thing.
Case in point (this one he had on his office wall)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Do anyone know if Congresscritter Whatshername (R-Glock) was packing on the House floor on Wednesday?

MindDetective

MindDetective

Many XKCD comics boil down to "I'm smarter than you, and because of that, I'm better than you." Or at least that's how it feels to me. It's just not my thing.
Case in point (this one he had on his office wall)
I don't get that impression at all.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

GOOD. FUCKING. RIDDANCE.

The "healing" begins once cancers like you have been cut OUT.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Shakey

Shakey

The “QAnon Shaman” was arrested as well.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I wonder if this is his favorite book?

220px-The_Stand_Uncut.jpg

Dave

Dave

These people are only being charged with violent entry? They are all being charged with simple misdemeanors, which is bullshit.

Zappit

Zappit

I think they’re starting with smaller charges just to get them in custody with something that will stick, then add more later. This is an absolute shitshow they’re trying to unravel right now.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I think they’re starting with smaller charges just to get them in custody with something that will stick, then add more later. This is an absolute shitshow they’re trying to unravel right now.
This. How many times have we seen prosecutors overplay their hand by going for the biggest charges first, only to come away empty?

BErt

BErt

The craziest man in American can no longer suffer QAnon

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

That was glorious. :rofl:

Zappit

Zappit

This. How many times have we seen prosecutors overplay their hand by going for the biggest charges first, only to come away empty?
Yup. This is more about keeping them off the street at this point.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Pot, kettle?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Many XKCD comics boil down to "I'm smarter than you, and because of that, I'm better than you." Or at least that's how it feels to me.
Huh, I've never felt it was in any way elitist. More like it was meant for lateral thinkers.

--Patrick

BErt

BErt

Pot, kettle?
this almost reads like you’re calling me the craziest man in America:p

which, i mean...fair.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Huh, I've never felt it was in any way elitist. More like it was meant for lateral thinkers.

--Patrick
I freely admit that it is just how it makes me feel. But I get that impression from a lot of the comics. I can't help how they make me feel ;)

To come back on topic..I'm feeling a bit sad.
I just went through my facebook friends and purged about 30 of them for being Trumpers caught up in his cult of personality. Some people I'd known decades. Some family.
I just cannot get this horrific attack on the capitol out of my mind. It makes me sad for the country, and it makes me furious that anyone I may have once considered a friend supported it.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

My entire family mostly worships Trump. The only one I don't know his feelings on is my father, and that is just because ever since I have known him he never talks about politics. My step-mother though? Totally lost, religious zealot, who recently asked me if I was going to Church enough so that I don't burn for eternity in the End Times, which she believes is going to happen soon since Biden is the "Anti-Christ" (Hey that's familiar, didn't you say that about Obama?)

My step-dad is also nutty, and kind of dragged my mother into it more then she already was, though my mother now and then has hints of clarity as long as I talk with her without my step-dad around.

We long ago agreed to just not talk about it anymore for the sake of my kids. I want them to have grandparents, but we made a deal that the kids are off limits to all politics, even second hand discussion. I know my mother is a good person, lots of charity, helps out friends, but she just is lost in the Fox News machine, and I don't think I can ever bring her back when her husband is deep as fuck in the conspiracy side of it all.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I can't help how they make me feel ;)
Fair enough.
it makes me furious that anyone I may have once considered a friend supported it.
It is unfathomable to me just how many people there are that chose freedom from thought over freedom from tyranny.

--Patrick

Piotyr

Piotyr

Arnold Schwarzenegger has a few things to say about the nazi insurrection this week:

figmentPez

figmentPez

Business Insider: Some among America's military allies believe Trump deliberately attempted a coup and may have had help from federal law-enforcement officials

The officials interviewed "said the circumstantial evidence available pointed to what would be openly called a coup attempt in any other nation."

"Insider is reporting this information because it illustrates the scale and seriousness of Wednesday's events: America's international military and security allies are now willing to give serious credence to the idea that Trump deliberately tried to violently overturn an election and that some federal law-enforcement agents — by omission or otherwise — facilitated the attempt."

"The president then makes a public statement to the supporters attacking the Capitol that he loves them but doesn't really tell them to stop," the [NATO] official said. "Today I am briefing my government that we believe with a reasonable level of certainty that Donald Trump attempted a coup that failed when the system did not buckle. "

"The French police official said they believed that an investigation would find that someone interfered with the deployment of additional federal law-enforcement officials on the perimeter of the Capitol complex "

figmentPez

figmentPez

Golly, you mean conspiracies to overthrow the government leave a trail of evidence?

But that's not what Republicans said about voter fraud....

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Some good 'ol Schadenfreude for you.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Camp Auschwitz guy id'd

jwhouk

jwhouk

About the only guy I don't think they will find is the guy with the tie-wrap cuffs.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

About the only guy I don't think they will find is the guy with the tie-wrap cuffs.
He has been identified.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

He has been identified.
and arrested

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Other zip tie guy arrested also.
He was reported to the FBI by his ex-wife, who recognized him and his gear.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Some good 'ol Schadenfreude for you.

"This hurts! This hurts my haaaands!"

Wow, bitch, imagine if they kneeled on your neck.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

"I have three minor children!"

Correction, HAD. CPS doesn't take kindly to treason.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I was mildly surprised when the lady sitting on the floor started talking in a Russian accent. For some reason, I associated all the rioters with southern hillbilly accents. Perhaps I should reexamine my biases.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Okay just to be clear that event was actually from November. The person who took the original video pointed it out on tik tok.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

You can look at the FBI press release site to see a running list of people they're arresting.

And there's a new subreddit for tracking these things.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Congresscritter Whathername (R-Glock) essentially admitted ON THE HOUSE FLOOR that she was part of the attack. And was live tweeting the movements of Pelosi and others.

If there isn't a shitload of 14th Amendment invoking in the coming days, then we may as well close up shop. Expel them and expel them NOW.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Okay just to be clear that event was actually from November. The person who took the original video pointed it out on tik tok.
I still stand by my original statement.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I still stand by my original statement.
As do I. Except maybe the treason bit.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I was mildly surprised when the lady sitting on the floor started talking in a Russian accent. For some reason, I associated all the rioters with southern hillbilly accents. Perhaps I should reexamine my biases.
One of the people arraigned for the Capitol insurrection needed a Russian interpreter.

I was a bit shocked, too. But maybe not that shocked.

the Malimons had arrived in the United States from Moldova
1610335120510.png

figmentPez

figmentPez

Russia has been working too hard at promoting this terrorism for you to just ignore them!

Celt Z

Celt Z

Russia has been working too hard at promoting this terrorism for you to just ignore them!
Pfft, Russia can't tie it's shoes. Must be Antifa.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Not sure if anyone read the article from the two capitol police officers, but the whole thing sounds nuts. My two biggest take away from it is that some of the rioters were more organized then people thought, communicating and organizing where to hit over walkie-talkies and ear-pieces, but also that when it started to hit, the capitol police leadership basically went AWOL. There was no strategy being communicated or even com chatter from the top brass, pretty much leaving every pocket of officers to figure it out themselves. Really not helping the case that this was not some sort of pre-planned event.

Also for anyone itching for some video, someone has made a playlist with all videos they can find about the events that lead up to, the event, and the aftermath of the riot itself. There are a whole lot of videos that are new to me on there, including the first breach of the outer barricade, the moment congress realized what was happening, various opinions of delegates as it was happening, etc. It really shows how this was a creeping mob, each barricade getting overrun as they pushed closer to the building and finally got inside. There is even a video of a guy trying to climb up a wall where a lot of capitol police are attempted to block a stairway, and one of the cops just shoves him off.

Also, and I know this is hypocritical of me, I own it, but I couldn't help but smile at this video because you just know this guy called BLM a bunch of thugs sometime in the last few months and has a giant thin blue line flag on his truck that goes right along side the giant confederate one he is holding. Sometimes all you have left is to enjoy the schadenfreude.

Frank

Frank

Just in case you don't think the entire Capitol police force needs to be fired and reformed. This thread.

Dave

Dave

I agree with everything you said except this:

Really not helping the case that this was not some sort of pre-planned event.
It was absolutely a planned event. It was planned on Parlor and they bussed people in, had the materials handy to build gallows, etc. Now, you may be saying it wasn't on any of the COPS schedule but that's also incorrect, because the cops were there, the cops were complicit. The pentagon knew about it ahead of time and made sure no law enforcement would get backup.

This was not a spontaneous event. This was a calculated and coordinated attack on our voting process. Had those two women not had the foresight to grab the electoral ballots, who knows what would have happened?

General Specific

General Specific

Now, hang on, they had the stuff to build gallows and IEDs and other weapons available, but have YOU been to a Trump rally? I haven't. Maybe those crowds just naturally bring those things along with them to every rally in case this is the one that Trump finally declares it Treason Season.

Dave

Dave

...that's a good point...

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

I wish I could find the tweet, but there was a reporter, that was scanning shit like Parler, and got their 2 days earlier. She talked about all the things she noticed about rioters. They were mostly mobbers, but she noticed a LOT of people more well prepared and organized that knew their business.

Dave

Dave

I wish I could find the tweet, but there was a reporter, that was scanning shit like Parler, and got their 2 days earlier. She talked about all the things she noticed about rioters. They were mostly mobbers, but she noticed a LOT of people more well prepared and organized that knew their business.
Scroll up like 4 posts. Is that her?

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Scroll up like 4 posts. Is that her?
yeppers.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Point of order?

The copies of those ballots are made out in triplicate. If some jerkoff had made off with them, the National Archives would have the backup copies. At the very least, the state governments that certified them would have their own copies as well.

EDIT: I was wrong - sextuplicate.

Electoral College Website said:
Prepare the Certificate of Vote

Federal law does not govern the general appearance of the Certificate of Vote so the format can vary from State to State. The electors must execute six Certificates of Vote. Federal law requires that each Certificate of Vote must:

• contain two distinct lists, one for President and one for Vice President and must:
    • list all persons who received electoral votes for President and the number of electors who voted for each person.
    • list all persons who received votes for Vice President and the number of electors who voted for each person.
    • not contain the names of persons who did not receive electoral votes.
  • be signed by all of the electors.
  • be attached to an original Certificates of Ascertainment retained by the State.
  • must be sealed and certified by the electors, after being paired with the Certificate of Ascertainment, as containing the list of electoral votes of that State for President and Vice President.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Point of order?

The copies of those ballots are made out in triplicate. If some jerkoff had made off with them, the National Archives would have the backup copies. At the very least, the state governments that certified them would have their own copies as well.
While it's somehow seemingly got lost in all the DC news, there were several armed protests and attemps to storm State Capitols and election headquarters. Mot of 'm didn't amount to much (a few hundred people protesting in the street) but quite a few of them got quite aggressive - if the protestors had been black they'd've been tear gassed away. If things in DC had gone differently, I can imagine them signaling to "friends" in other states to push through, too.

jwhouk

jwhouk

No, what I'm saying is, even if someone would have walked off with the copies that were in the chamber at the time, there were still at least five more copies wandering around that could be used for the "official" count.

General Specific

General Specific

...that's a good point...
I was being facetious, I think it was clearly planned from the beginning.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

No, what I'm saying is, even if someone would have walked off with the copies that were in the chamber at the time, there were still at least five more copies wandering around that could be used for the "official" count.
But could have delayed the vote for at least a day.

figmentPez

figmentPez

But could have delayed the vote for at least a day.
More than that, it allows them one more bullshit way to throw doubt on the whole thing. "They used the chaos to change out the ballot boxes!"

figmentPez

figmentPez

Bubble181

Bubble181

"reckless endangerment". At the very least.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I agree with everything you said except this:
Really not helping the case that this was not some sort of pre-planned event.
I took SR's comment to be that it's not helping the brass' claim that there was no planning (on their part) involved.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

"WASHINGTON (AP) -- FBI bulletin warns of plans for armed protests at all 50 state capitals and in Washington ahead of Biden inauguration."

GasBandit

GasBandit

Cbs version of above

CBS News: FBI warns of armed protests across the country.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Aww muffin. Maybe you'll learn NOT to storm a government building with an angry crowd while dressing like a cheap ass barbarian?

Zappit

Zappit

Chad Wolf resigned. One more turd flushed.

Tress

Tress

Chad Wolf resigned. One more rat jumping off the ship they helped crash on the rocks.
FTFY.

figmentPez

figmentPez

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I went to the revolution, and all I got was a lousy T-Shirt.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Pence remains complicit.

Shawn

Shawn

I also see a guy wearing a mask and staying as far from the chaos and violence as possible. Now the woman who posted it claims he had a very different post up before the one that's currently there. That may change things if I could read that, however, I don't think a sweater that says "Civil War Jan 6, 2021" necessarily means he was there with violent intent. He could be wearing it knowing fully well it was an exaggeration of how he wanted things to play out. If nothing happened that day the shirt wouldn't make a blip on anyone's radar.
Now that guy in the Auschwitz sweater is a different case entirely.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Pence remains complicit.
Oh, to have been a fly on the wall in the room for that conversation.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm wondering what Kompromat Dolt45 has on Pence.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oh, to have been a fly on the wall in the room for that conversation.
Well yeah. The shit was probably flying so thick that you could've eaten for weeks!

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

I also see a guy wearing a mask and staying as far from the chaos and violence as possible. Now the woman who posted it claims he had a very different post up before the one that's currently there. That may change things if I could read that, however, I don't think a sweater that says "Civil War Jan 6, 2021" necessarily means he was there with violent intent. He could be wearing it knowing fully well it was an exaggeration of how he wanted things to play out. If nothing happened that day the shirt wouldn't make a blip on anyone's radar.
Now that guy in the Auschwitz sweater is a different case entirely.
I disagree. Civil War? Dude, that's not a t-shirt, that's an advertised threat. And considering what happened, a lot of the same type of people were there.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I disagree. Civil War? Dude, that's not a t-shirt, that's an advertised threat. And considering what happened, a lot of the same type of people were there.
And even if he got no further than the Capital steps, the law is very clear. He's just as guilty as the ones who physically did the damage. No sympathy. No devil's advocate. Fuck that guy and everyone else who took part.

Shawn

Shawn

I don't know his intention. I'm not saying it was a shirt in good taste, but I am just saying it doesn't mean that was his intention to incite violence.
I know it's not really the same thing, but as an example I wear my "Rocks fall. Everyone dies" Tee to D&D nights all the time. It's an exaggeration. In my case for humor. In that guy's case... I dunno. For emphasis? He stayed away from the violence and that should be considered. He could just be an idiot with poor taste in clothing.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I don't know his intention. I'm not saying it was a shirt in good taste, but I am just saying it doesn't mean that was his intention to incite violence.
I know it's not really the same thing, but as an example I wear my "Rocks fall. Everyone dies" Tee to D&D nights all the time. It's an exaggeration. In my case for humor. In that guy's case... I dunno. For emphasis? He stayed away from the violence and that should be considered. He could just be an idiot with poor taste in clothing.
D&D night is not the same as a terrorist attack on the seat of government. Trump and co. have been blowing dog whistles for months, or just flat out calling for violence. He knew what he was getting into. "I just wanted to see what the fuss was about," is not admissible in a court of law.

Shawn

Shawn

D&D night is not the same as a terrorist attack on the seat of government. Trump and co. have been blowing dog whistles for months, or just flat out calling for violence. He knew what he was getting into. "I just wanted to see what the fuss was about," is not admissible in a court of law.
I'm not seeing anything that says he participated in the violence. I don't even see anything that says he made it to the steps of the Capitol. You can't take him to court if he didn't do anything wrong.

If he wore that shirt, and the protest stayed entirely peaceful, what would you think then?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'm not seeing anything that says he participated in the violence. I don't even see anything that says he made it to the steps of the Capitol. You can't take him to court if he didn't do anything wrong.
He took part in a march that included an attack on the Capitol building. Five people died. That the march even took place was problematic enough. There was never anything peaceful about any of it.

Yeah. He was there. He did plenty of wrong just from that. And if it kills his business he deserves it.

Krisken

Krisken

Huh, I thought this crap was just in my Facebook feed.

Shawn

Shawn

Just to be clear, I hate Trump and everything he stands for. The violence was horrific and everyone who participated in it should be punished to the full extent of the law.
But, like any protest where someone does something violent, I cannot hold EVERYONE accountable for the actions of some. As much as I feel that Trump supporters have some depraved personal opinions on what is and what isn't acceptable in a peaceful society, I must believe that not all of them were there to be violent. Those who did not intend to be violent had the right to be there and protest.

Shawn

Shawn

No one is saying to arrest everyone at the protest. They are saying the ones that broke into the building and caused a ruckus and got people killed should be arrested.
Perhaps I am mistaken but I was under the impression that is exactly what DarkAudit was arguing.

Krisken

Krisken

Yeah, I removed my post because I realized I forgot DA does that. Carry on.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Perhaps I am mistaken but I was under the impression that is exactly what DarkAudit was arguing.
What I take exception to was the notion that "he did nothing wrong." He took part in a march whose very intent was to violently spit in the face of everything this country stands for. It was not constitutionally protected speech in any way. Even freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

And the intent of the original post was to call out the dude and his business. People have every right to question their association with such people and spend their time and money accordingly. Just as the Parler vendors and teespring were asked to reconsider their association.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Jan 6th just keeps getting weirder:

Frank

Frank

They gave into the shaman's food demands since he only eats organic foods.

Before you wonder, no American prisons generally don't allow Muslim prisoners to eat Halal.

Shakey

Shakey

Fucking snowflakes

Bubble181

Bubble181

1610446522840.png

Can't tell if sarcasm or real. Damn you and your laws, @Ravenpoe !

Just Me

Just Me

View attachment 36809

Oh dear, my migraine's coming back. That sounds a lot like our idiots over here; Deutschland GmbH ('Germany Ltd.'). Morons everywhere!

bhamv3

bhamv3

View attachment 36809

For a guy named "ClericJohnPreston" there's a disappointing dearth of Equilibrium references in this post.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

It's another branch of conspiracy nutters misinterpreting the Organic Act of 1871.

Shawn

Shawn

View attachment 36809

Asking all the true Trump supporters to sit tight in their homes until March? Sounds like trying to get the assholes to stop trying to sabotage democracy, incite violence and maybe actually comply with some pandemic regulations by giving them a tasty conspiracy that's bat-shit-insane enough that they can't resist.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I'm wondering what Kompromat Dolt45 has on Pence.
I keep seeing this suggested, and it's really unnecessary. He's a career politician, willing to join Donald Trump to further his ambitions. He has always gone with the team position, no matter how horrific, because that makes him a good team player. He's in it for himself and his own goals, and he doesn't need outside influence to be an awful, weak, immoral person.

UPDATE: To be clear, this isn't a shot at you, Pez. I'm saying the idea is unnecessary, as Pence has shown who he is through all of this.

Dei

Dei

jwhouk

jwhouk

Florida Man Hires Worst Lawyer in Universe.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Jan 6th just keeps getting weirder:
That's just a Chuck lookalike.
chuck.jpg

He's still a RW POS.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

I keep seeing this suggested, and it's really unnecessary. He's a career politician, willing to join Donald Trump to further his ambitions. He has always gone with the team position, no matter how horrific, because that makes him a good team player. He's in it for himself and his own goals, and he doesn't need outside influence to be an awful, weak, immoral person.

UPDATE: To be clear, this isn't a shot at you, Pez. I'm saying the idea is unnecessary, as Pence has shown who he is through all of this.
I don't think, Tim. He was pretty disparaging of Trump, even after the election. Goes golfing with him one weekend, does a 180 so fast he got whiplash.
edit, whoopsie, I thought you were talking about Graham.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Leadership knew that violence was coming on Jan 6th:

Tress

Tress

I will hold of celebrations until I actually see it, but at least it sounds like the Feds are not fucking around with these terrorist assholes:

Feds consider sedition and conspiracy charges in probe of pro-Trump Capitol riot

Dei

Dei

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I honestly think some Republicans will vote in favor of impeachment this time and it will go further this time around. If only because it's now a sinking ship and Trump is already on the way out, so he doesn't have the same hold on them as before.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Two republican congressmen have come out in support of impeachment.

Tress

Tress

I honestly think some Republicans will vote in favor of impeachment this time and it will go further this time around. If only because it's now a sinking ship and Trump is already on the way out, so he doesn't have the same hold on them as before.
Apparently it took a riot/failed coup to wake up some of the Republicans. But this country is going to have to deal with the millions of assholes who still like Trump and thought the mob who stormed the capital were "patriots" or some shit.

I'm just stunned. Never in a million years did I think we would see an actual coup attempt, even a dumb one such as this, in the U.S. Trump's election has shown me how truly fucked up about 40% of this country is.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'd have believed it if Mitch hadn't made sure it couldn't be brought to the floor before the 20th.

Gryfter

Gryfter

It's amazing what you can get republicans to come around to if you start taking away their money.

Krisken

Krisken

It's amazing what you can get republicans to come around to if you start taking away their money.
Mitch does love money.

blotsfan

blotsfan

3 now.

evilmike

evilmike

The Joint Chiefs of Staff weigh in:

(NPR)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

As expected. GOP House members are having a fit over the metal detectors Pelosi had installed. Kinda putting truth to the "we think one of you may try to kill us" rumor, dontcha think?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Maybe if she called them "Freedom detectors?"

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'll just say this. If Bobert (R-Glock) had been a black teen tonight, she wouldn't be with us anymore. Fucking dumbass.

Krisken

Krisken

Jesus fucking christ.

Celt Z

Celt Z

As expected. GOP House members are having a fit over the metal detectors Pelosi had installed. Kinda putting truth to the "we think one of you may try to kill us" rumor, dontcha think?
Aww, now they know what it feels like to be the school children of the past 20 years. Boo-fucking-hoo.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Insert Iago gif here.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The more stuff comes out, the scarier it gets. More and more information about rioters having intel they shouldn't have ever been close to.

"1/6 was an inside job" may be reasonably close to the truth.

And the notion that marchers "did nothing wrong" if they didn't make it to the Capitol grounds? Fuck that noise. Fuck that noise HARD. The intent was always violence. It was an open secret that violence was the plan all along. It'll be up to (uncompromised) prosecutors what happens to them from here, but whatever consequences, personal, professional, legal, befall them, they deserve every last bit of it and then some. Fuck every last one of 'em.

(There's too much time and not enough anime to fill the rest of the night. Need to keep off twitter to get me back to sanity.)

Shawn

Shawn

And the notion that marchers "did nothing wrong" if they didn't make it to the Capitol grounds? Fuck that noise. Fuck that noise HARD. The intent was always violence. It was an open secret that violence was the plan all along. It'll be up to (uncompromised) prosecutors what happens to them from here, but whatever consequences, personal, professional, legal, befall them, they deserve every last bit of it and then some. Fuck every last one of 'em.
Everyone has a right to protest. Even if its about something that seems incredibly wrong to the most moral-conscious of us, they still have a right to peaceful protest. Whether they knew that the violence was a possibility or not they had the right to be there so long as they remained peaceful. When you watch these videos you see hundreds storming the Capitol, but then you see hundreds remaining behind and avoiding confrontation completely. We can't judge them on what they expected to happen, only what they did during it all. As said I will never agree with the Trump supporter mentality that the election was stolen, but I am grateful that many of them kept their heads and stayed back. In footage of a CNN crew being attacked one of the Trump supporters got between the attacker and the crew and said "This is not who we are! If you want to get to them you have to go through me!". Knowing that the actions of a few should not represent the whole is the same philosophy I try to explain to those who dismiss BLM protests whenever a business is burned down or someone is hurt.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I try to explain to those who dismiss BLM protests whenever a business is burned down or someone is hurt.
There's a big difference between a "stop killing us!" protest and a "rules and laws don't apply to us! Put our guy back in power!" white power tantrum. That's not even a protest. That's a mob collected by a wannabe dictator.

There was never anything peaceful about what happened Wednesday. The chatter on Parler, the *chans, etc. put the lie to "peaceful protest" months ago. Everything that happened was meant to circumvent the Constitution and every notion of the Rule of Law.

Shawn

Shawn

There's a big difference between a "stop killing us!" protest and a "rules and laws don't apply to us! Put our guy back in power!" white power tantrum. That's not even a protest. That's a mob collected by a wannabe dictator.
I don't care if they are protesting that they aren't getting enough marshmallows in their hot cocoa, they have to right to do so peacefully. Yes there are clearly protests that have more moral weight to them but we have no right to tell someone they can't protest for something we deem immoral or miniscule. You say that their protest is wrong because it challenges laws that we have in place, yet the most powerful protests in our country's history did exactly that: Women's rights. Black rights. Again, I'm not saying that I agree with Trump supporters (I absolutely do not), but they have a right to say they feel cheated.

There was never anything peaceful about what happened Wednesday. The chatter on Parler, the *chans, etc. put the lie to "peaceful protest" months ago. Everything that happened was meant to circumvent the Constitution and every notion of the Rule of Law.
There are two groups of people who should be arrested and charged accordingly. Those who committed any act of violence, trespassing, making threats, theft, and/or destruction of property. And those who incited others to do it for/with them. Trump needs to go down hard. I have no doubt that none of this would have happened to this extent if Trump had conceded the election peacefully and didn't continue to rile up his supporters to get them to do his dirty work for him.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

You say that their protest is wrong because it challenges laws that we have in place, yet the most powerful protests in our country's history did exactly that: Women's rights. Black's rights.
To mention civil rights marches in the same breath as that riot is downright sickening.

I'll stop here because the red mist is getting stronger. I need to walk away. I need tumblr and Slime S2 to calm me down for a bit.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Anyone can protest anything at any time. It's a right. The right to peaceably assemble. First Amendment right, as a matter of fact--the right to assemble and petition the government for redress.

I have to agree with Shawn here: I don't care if I think every Trump supporter is a chuckle-headed bumble fuck (and I generally do)--they have a right to assemble and protest.

Those that passed barriers and stormed the Capitol took it beyond their protected rights and into the realm of illegality. The line between the right to assemble, and insurrection is not even a particularly thin one. Some people chose to assemble and speak. Some people chose to cross that line.

figmentPez

figmentPez

It wasn't just Trump calling for violence, though. There were a lot of other people with megaphones calling for violence, a lot of people chanting "hang Pence". It's not just the ones who entered the Capitol that are guilty.

Shawn

Shawn

It wasn't just Trump calling for violence, though. There were a lot of other people with megaphones calling for violence, a lot of people chanting "hang Pence". It's not just the ones who entered the Capitol that are guilty.
I agree all those who incited violence should also be arrested and charged accordingly. They don't get a pass either.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Agreed.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

(New Slime season was just what I needed. I feel a lot better now.)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Sooooo, yeah, about that idea that this was all pre-planned...

blotsfan

blotsfan

I genuinely didn't think the republicans could stoop to a level that made me think "wow I can't believe this level the republicans have stooped to" and yet here we are.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The hits just keep on coming.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

TIL Mitch McConnell survived polio but has limited mobility. During the evacuation of the Senate during the siege he had to be carried as expedience was needed.

Celt Z

Celt Z

TIL Mitch McConnell survived polio but has limited mobility. During the evacuation of the Senate during the siege he had to be carried as expedience was needed.
They should have let him pull himself up by this own bootstraps. That's what any "True 'Murican" would do.

Dave

Dave

The hits just keep on coming.

figmentPez

figmentPez

It's really telling that one of the arguments, being made seriously, against investigating and prosecuting the violence in our nation's capital is "Punishing the violence may incite more violence."

Terrorism. That's why it needs to be called terrorism. The point of the violence is to control people through fear.

Bubble181

Bubble181

It's really telling that one of the arguments, being made seriously, against investigating and prosecuting the violence in our nation's capital is "Punishing the violence may incite more violence."

Terrorism. That's why it needs to be called terrorism. The point of the violence is to control people through fear.
Look, if you go and complain to the police, all it'll do is make me angry and hit you more. Just cover up the bruises, and stay quiet next time I'm talking,okay? This is a loving relationship, it has to go two ways.

jwhouk

jwhouk

...Biggs. Of COURSE it was motherfucking BIGGS.

Joan Greene needs to demand a recount of this district NOW.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The guy wearing the "Camp Auschwitz" shirt has been arrested:

Bubble181

Bubble181

I really, really hope some of these get heftier stuff thrown at them than "disorderly conduct".

Dave

Dave

So did you guys hear the dude that had the molotov cocktails also had a list of "bad people" & "good people"?

Not suspicious at all.

Piotyr

Piotyr

The Capitol looks to be slightly better prepared for hostility today than it was a week ago today.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oh good, they finally made it!
I was worried they'd gotten lost.

--Patrick

General Specific

General Specific

I really, really hope some of these get heftier stuff thrown at them than "disorderly conduct".
Maybe reserving the worse charges like terrorism and sedition for when cheeto is out of office and can't pardon them anymore?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Maybe reserving the worse charges like terrorism and sedition for when cheeto is out of office and can't pardon them anymore?
Pre-emptive pardons exist. Trump doesn't have to wait for them to be charged to pardon them.

figmentPez

figmentPez

figmentPez

figmentPez

Trump warned about potential civil liability

"In the wake of Wednesday's assault on the nation's Capitol, President Donald Trump has been advised he potentially could face civil liability connected to his role in encouraging supporters who went on to storm Congress, sources familiar with the conversations told ABC News."
"The sources say if the president were to self-pardon, it would only strengthen the motivation to bring civil cases against the 45th president."
"After these conversations, sources say the president grew angrier, and the entire pardon process has been described as 'on hold' -- meaning others who have been lobbying the president for pardons, including his personal attorney Rudy Giuliani, may not receive one. "

chris

chris

I hope this is just some dark satirical joke

Fun Size

Fun Size

"After these conversations, sources say the president grew angrier, and the entire pardon process has been described as 'on hold' -- meaning others who have been lobbying the president for pardons, including his personal attorney Rudy Giuliani, may not receive one. "

Emrys

Emrys

So did you guys hear the dude that had the molotov cocktails also had a list of "bad people" & "good people"?

Not suspicious at all.
Santa, no!

PatrThom

PatrThom

At least two of the insurrectionists have committed suicide. So far.
My wife has suggested that it may not have been done out of shame, but as a refusal to be forced to live out their lives under Bidenist Socialism.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

At least two of the insurrectionists have committed suicide. So far.
My wife has suggested that it may not have been done out of shame, but as a refusal to be forced to live out their lives under Bidenist Socialism.

--Patrick
There have been ones threatening to do so if Orange Boy lost, so...following through, I guess?

Shawn

Shawn

Which two? Any of the famous ones?

PatrThom

PatrThom

One was a respected, on-duty DC cop, not a rioter. My bad.
The other was a Georgia man who pled "not guilty," threw bail, and then shot himself in the chest two days later.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

To quote an internet aphorism, " 'punishable by fine' just means 'legal for rich people' "

bhamv3

bhamv3

They should make the third offense a spanking. Broadcast on CSPAN.

Frank

Frank

Third offense (first) should be to feed them to the Sharkticons.

grub

grub

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

1/6 was an inside job.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Republicans are fucking morons. Especially Lauren Boebert, who is also a terrible public speaker.

phil

phil

Would like to shake the hand of the person who made this
5xeervferqa61.png

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Trained? TRAINED!?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Trained? TRAINED!?
Ehh, I wouldn't read too much into this one. They don't say "it's everything we were trained for", but "everything we trained for".
Most would-be "militia", survivalists, etc would consider themselves to have "trained" for when the government finally shows its despotic, tyrannical side. I mean, you'd sort of expect them to fight against, not for, the tyrant, but still.

figmentPez

figmentPez

100 arrests and counting.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Bravo, headline. Bravo.

ConfedSurrend.jpg

figmentPez

figmentPez

U.S. says Capitol rioters meant to 'capture and assassinate' officials - filing

" Federal prosecutors offered an ominous new assessment of last week’s siege of the U.S. Capitol by President Donald Trump’s supporters on Thursday, saying in a court filing that rioters intended 'to capture and assassinate elected officials.' "
"In Chansley’s case, prosecutors said the charges 'involve active participation in an insurrection attempting to violently overthrow the United States government,' and warned that 'the insurrection is still in progress' as law enforcement prepares for more demonstrations in Washington and state capitals."

Wow, and the Nazis are setting up an insanity defense already, “Chansley has spoken openly about his belief that he is an alien, a higher being, and he is here on Earth to ascend to another reality,”

"Michael Sherwin, the Acting U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia, has said that while many of the initial charges may seem minor, he expects much more serious charges to be filed as the Justice Department continues its investigation. "

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

(redacted mid-post for red mist)

Short version: if you were there, fuck you and everything you stand for.

blotsfan

blotsfan

They've arrested some people around here for being there.

Dave

Dave

" Federal prosecutors offered an ominous new assessment of last week’s siege of the U.S. Capitol by President Donald Trump’s supporters on Thursday, saying in a court filing that rioters intended 'to capture and assassinate elected officials.' "
No fucking shit. Anyone who watched it could see that. Wonder what gave it away? Was it the bombs? The chanting of "hang Pence" while constructing gallows? The zip cuffs to kidnap officials? The list of targets?

I can't fathom how they put that together!

PatrThom

PatrThom

I can't fathom how they put that together!
They must've finally gained access into Hunter Biden's laptop and read the rest of Hillary's emails.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

@PatrThom You're goddamn right I'm doing the thing again.

PatrThom

PatrThom

@PatrThom You're goddamn right I'm doing the thing again.
I know! That’s why I tagged it!

—Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

A couple of guys wanted to make some funny videos pranking Trump supporters. Instead, they ended up documenting the insurrection.

figmentPez

figmentPez

figmentPez

figmentPez

jwhouk

jwhouk

A thought: what if that little meeting between Pence and Trump was a discussion over the 25th - and Pence basically said, "You and I both know that if I do anything, it's political suicide, but if you don't stop your #### now, I will do it." In essence, holding the sword of Damocles over his head.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

A thought: what if that little meeting between Pence and Trump was a discussion over the 25th - and Pence basically said, "You and I both know that if I do anything, it's political suicide, but if you don't stop your #### now, I will do it." In essence, holding the sword of Damocles over his head.
This is pretty much what I expected. It's also why Trump after that pretty much stopped doing anything. He has been stewing mostly in silence, even though he could start a press conference anytime he wanted.

BErt

BErt

E1A1B118-3EFD-46B4-A03E-0C39B93A4BB2.jpeg

Dave

Dave

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

This is pretty much what I expected. It's also why Trump after that pretty much stopped doing anything. He has been stewing mostly in silence, even though he could start a press conference anytime he wanted.
Up until the meeting with the MyPillow guy. Then the "coup part 2" doom and gloom started filling up my twitter feed.

Frank

Frank

I'm feeling increasingly uneasy about inaug day. I hope there isn't a bloodbath.

jwhouk

jwhouk

As long as Joe and Kamala are okay afterward.

BErt

BErt

Give me liberty, but please do it before 3pm!

Krisken

Krisken

The January 16th Radiolab is chilling and gives an inside view of the Capitol breach.

PatrThom

PatrThom

If you want to understand all this, a good factoid to ponder is a [22yr-old] Trump supporter stealing Nancy Pelosi's laptop and trying to send it to the Foreign Intelligence Service of the Russian Federation without herself having been paid or recruited.
--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Per Article 94 of the UCMJ, the penalty is death. And we already know some active duty and reservists were there...

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Riley Williams, the woman accused of stealing Nancy Pelosi's laptop, is in custody.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Also: Kohl's and Bed Bath and Beyond are dropping the MyPillow after the CEO, Mike Lindell, met with Trump.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Also: Kohl's and Bed Bath and Beyond are dropping the MyPillow after the CEO, Mike Lindell, met with Trump.
Sorry, but I have to invoke that xkcd cartoon a second time in 24 hours.

Lindell, don't you say a fucking word. You don't have a leg to stand on.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Sorry, but I have to invoke that xkcd cartoon a second time in 24 hours.

Lindell, don't you say a fucking word. You don't have a leg to stand on.
At least he'll have a pillow to cry into, with all that excess inventory he'll be unable to move.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Anyone else hear that a Capitol poluce officer took their own life as a result of the insurrection.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Anyone else hear that a Capitol poluce officer took their own life as a result of the insurrection.
Yes, I mentioned it earlier.

--Patrick

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

You know, people keep talking about how soft the cops were on the insurrectionists by comparison to BLM protests, but honestly, after listening to the stories out of a few of the officers on the scene, I can kind of see that the change was more about fear then anything else.

It's easier being a cop when you have hundreds of your buddies next to you and you are going to disperse people you know are not going to be overly violent, or shoot back at you. Spraying mace into the face of some college kids during a sit in? PEICE OF CAKE. A few old ladies walking to early voting and stopping near a church? Time to bust out the BATONS! This though? One cop said the only reason they didn't shoot the insurrectionists is because they knew many of them had guns, and that those same guys were likely waiting for one spark to turn the whole event into a bloody fire fight. They knew they were outnumbered 10 to 1 and would have lost that fight, so they did everything they could to prevent lethal force.

These guys, by the pure nature of the system, have power over peaceful protestors and BLM. They had no power over these people who were ready to gun them down, and that terrified them.

Frank

Frank

They were woefully unprepared. Everyone in charge should be shown the door.

Piotyr

Piotyr

They were woefully unprepared. Everyone in charge should be shown the door.
They had about 10 police on site on a day with a known white supremacist rally happening just blocks away, with public social media available describing their plans for violence. They were purposely understaffed to allow for the invasion to happen.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Texas Governor Greg Abbott should be removed from office. He is a traitor, a blithering idiot, or both.

Abbott Says He Finds Vetting of Texas National Guard Ahead of Inauguration ‘Offensive'

"No one should ever question the loyalty or professionalism of the Texas National Guard," Abbott wrote in a tweet Monday night.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The GOP continue to turn on Trump:

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Mitch is an opportunist and knows which way the wind is blowing. He also knows that, should Trump attempt to run again in 2024, they are in deep shit. Should he get the nomination again it's likely he would just lose again versus Biden, and should he not get the nomination he would just run as an independent and split their voters. Mitch is now safe in his seat for the next six years and is likely going to just retire after this term, so he has nothing to lose by this point, so he can start trying to salvage what he can.

What do I think will happen? When it comes time for the actual trial don't be surprised if a bunch of Republican Senators in less safe states "sit it out" in protest. Because of them sitting it out the quorum needed to convict lowers until all they would need is all the Democrats and a small handful of Republicans from either safe states or on the way to retirement soon. That will force Trump from ever even running and save them a lot of headaches later without risking too many of their seats. They will still get hit for it, and rightly so, but none of them want another Jan 6th happening four or eight years from now. They might not be so lucky next time.

blotsfan

blotsfan

What do I think will happen? When it comes time for the actual trial don't be surprised if a bunch of Republican Senators in less safe states "sit it out" in protest.
Trump voters are dumb, but I don't think they'll fall for that.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Trump voters are dumb, but I don't think they'll fall for that.
Why not? They've already proven that they can't do math.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Zappit

Zappit

Oath Keepers leader hit with conspiracy charges in connection to the riot.

There had been talk of bigger charges and a wider investigation and now with th3 Orange shit getting flushed tomorrow, it looks like things might really be starting to move.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Now, with the inauguration in the bag and the attempted coup 2 weeks old, I feel less ghoulish for putting voice to this:

The next time another forum debate about the 2nd amendment comes up, I want people @'ing me to remember this event before they scoff at the threat posed to the federal government by an armed citizenry.

Dave

Dave

Now, with the inauguration in the bag and the attempted coup 2 weeks old, I feel less ghoulish for putting voice to this:

The next time another forum debate about the 2nd amendment comes up, I want people @'ing me to remember this event before they scoff at the threat posed to the federal government by an armed citizenry.
Yeah, because a bunch of thugs with guns storming the capitol was a good thing.

:pud:

blotsfan

blotsfan

Only if the government doesn't want to stop it.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

To be fair, they failed. They got lucky (or were given access) and they still failed, and now it's going to be even harder for that to happen.

Bubble181

Bubble181

If anything, this whole thing just shows the problem. It's far too easy to get a good big mass of idiots riled up with propaganda. People are calling themselves patriots for trying to get American state secrets to Russia for free. If Trump had been a bit more competent at what he was doing, we'd all be in a horrible mess right now.

Dave

Dave

The whole "hurr durr I wuz right about gunz!" is such a shit example using the insurrection attempt. It had nothing to do with guns as much as it did the unwillingness and approval of law enforcement. Guns weren't the issue in this case - it was the capitol police and police in general allowing it to happen, the pentagon ordering a stand down prior to the event, and a political party who not only incited it but actively took part in the coup attempt.

Fuck that gun argument because it just doesn't hold any water.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I didn't say it was a good thing, it just illustrates that there's more to popular insurrection than just lining up shoulder to shoulder on one side of a field opposite a prepared and deployed entirety of the US military.

Only if the government doesn't want to stop it.
Part of the government didn't, but I kind of doubt that Congress and the Senate wanted what was happening to be happening.

To be fair, they failed. They got lucky (or were given access) and they still failed, and now it's going to be even harder for that to happen.
They failed, but they got very close to doing some real damage, and if not for a certain few very lucky breaks and brave personnel, they could have done a lot worse, up to and including killing legislators. Let's not be complacent and think it can't happen again. That's how the Beer Hall Putsch led to Krystallnacht a few years later.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The whole "hurr durr I wuz right about gunz!" is such a shit example using the insurrection attempt. It had nothing to do with guns as much as it did the unwillingness and approval of law enforcement. Guns weren't the issue in this case - it was the capitol police and police in general allowing it to happen, the pentagon ordering a stand down prior to the event, and a political party who not only incited it but actively took part in the coup attempt.

Fuck that gun argument because it just doesn't hold any water.
Unless you can turn the entirety of the nation into an occupied military camp 24/7, for the rest of time, the opportunity for this to happen again will present itself.

Shawn

Shawn

Wasn't a mentioned reason for several police officers backing off of the protesters because the knew they were armed and would fight back, and with far greater numbers?

Dave

Dave

Unless you can turn the entirety of the nation into an occupied military camp 24/7, for the rest of time, the opportunity for this to happen again will present itself.
Only if the insurrectionists are white men. Otherwise the amount of guns won't matter.

And if they ARE white men, the amount of guns won't matter because the cops and military allowed it to happen.

In short, guns didn't do shit and won't do shit. The events have shown that your argument holds no practical merit.

Dave

Dave

Wasn't a mentioned reason for several police officers backing off of the protesters because the knew they were armed and would fight back, and with far greater numbers?
Only because the police response wasn't proportional and additional cops weren't allowed to be there. Had the crowd been armed with fucking SPORKS the police that were there would have been under threat due to the difference in population.

Look at the police presence between the BLM marches and the insurrectionists. Had the numbers been here this time, the guns would not have made a difference.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Only if the insurrectionists are white men. Otherwise the amount of guns won't matter.

And if they ARE white men, the amount of guns won't matter because the cops and military allowed it to happen.

In short, guns didn't do shit and won't do shit. The events have shown that your argument holds no practical merit.
Keep telling yourself that. I'll hope you're right, but I don't think you are.

If they weren't afraid of the guns, the 6th would have gone differently, and the security for the inauguration would have been very different.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Look at the police presence between the BLM marches and the insurrectionists. Had the numbers been here this time, the guns would not have made a difference.
One of the things people were worried about last week was repeats of the 6th at government buildings nationwide (there was apparently intel that this could happen). The logistics of having to worry about popular insurrection defeats standing armies every time. It happened to us in Iraq, it'd happen even moreso at home.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I think the confusion is that when most people talk about guns in an overthrow the government sense, we think an actual fire fight, and not a sudden, possibly state backed insurrection. Technically, even if that large group had zero guns, it's likely they could have taken the Capitol and killed a bunch of people, just by pure numbers and luck over the fact they didn't bring in the National Guard due to the "optics". If there was a row of soldiers there, it would have been a very different ballgame.

I don't think it's a really good comparison., personally, but I can at least see the point you are trying to make.

GasBandit

GasBandit

And, if there is the thinnest of silver linings to this affair, if one asserts that where the government fears the people there is liberty, then some legislators definitely felt afraid... It's just a pity they were afraid of fascists trying to install a tyrant.

Just goes to show you, everything can be done for the wrong reason, and as John Adams once said (paraphrased), this whole endeavor only works if the American populace itself is morally in the right. If the people go bad, everything goes bad, and no government policy, no constitutional amendment, no act of congress will fix it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

If anything, I would think that this attempted coup would teach us that there are issues far more important than guns. Issues we've been sorely neglecting. If we fought for education with the same fervor that guns are fought for, then there wouldn't have been nearly as much support for Trump and his lunacy. If we fought for freedom to choose our own content online, and fought against advertisers deciding what content we see, fomenting violence and partisanship because "engagement" is more important than anything else and it pays to show people content with the potential to radicalize them. If we fought to abolish the Electoral College, get rid of the two party system, abolish first-past-the-post voting, and other important election reforms... If we fought for campaign finance reform, taxing the rich, reforming healthcare....

If we fought for the things that actually made a difference this year, then it wouldn't have gotten to the point where anyone would even question if guns could have made a difference. Fighting for guns to protect our freedom in the age of the internet is like adding a room onto your house to store dried cow patties in case you need to burn them to keep warm in the winter. It's a really shitty backup plan, and it'd work a lot better to spend the time/money/effort on making sure the heater works, and maybe having a fireplace with a supply of wood. Spending a lot of effort on the worst way to solve problems doesn't make sense when it's taking effort away from much better solutions.

mikerc

mikerc

You remember the BLM protests? When the federal government sent armed forces in to attack its own citizens engaging in their constitutional rights? When they were literally kidnapping people off the streets in unmarked vans? That's when the 2nd amendment should have been brought into play. That's the situation it was written to defend against.

The one time it was truly needed and it FAILED in its intended purpose.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Using a white power tantrum to justify the second amendment is bad, bad idea.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You remember the BLM protests? When the federal government sent armed forces in to attack its own citizens engaging in their constitutional rights? When they were literally kidnapping people off the streets in unmarked vans? That's when the 2nd amendment should have been brought into play. That's the situation it was written to defend against.

The one time it was truly needed and it FAILED in its intended purpose.
Well, if you have nails and a hammer and the nails don't get driven, it seems the problem is not with the hammer.

Using a white power tantrum to justify the second amendment is bad, bad idea.
Which is not what was posted.

blotsfan

blotsfan

In that case the point seems to be that the only people willing to use the guns to take on the government are white supremacist fascists. What an ad for the 2nd amendment.

Krisken

Krisken

Wow, I never thought I'd miss this. Much prefer talking policy over racists.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Which is not what was posted.
Really...
Was there some other Capitol siege I don't know about? Because the 6th was practically a klan rally.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Ron Watkins pulls the plug on Q, admits the whole thing was him:

figmentPez

figmentPez

"Crushing"? I think they're underestimating the ability of QAnon believers to rationalize away anything counter to the lies they've bought into.

mikerc

mikerc

Well, if you have nails and a hammer and the nails don't get driven, it seems the problem is not with the hammer.
This is really stretching the metaphor but, if the hammer keeps injuring you somehow (by regularly falling off a shelf and landing on your foot for instance) and people keep asking why you don't get rid of it but you never do because "what if I need to hammer some nails?" but then you do need to hammer some nails but you still don't use the hammer...whats the point of the hammer? Other than injuring you?

Bubble181

Bubble181

"Crushing"? I think they're underestimating the ability of QAnon believers to rationalize away anything counter to the lies they've bought into.
I can feel 10 different variations of "the Deep State got to him" being written at the same time.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I think it's like those people that predict the end of the world over and over. IIRC every time the prediction doesn't come true they lose about half their followers. Now that Biden is in charge, I expect more and more failed predictions to dishearten all but the biggest of diehards.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

For what it's worth, gas, I've changed my stance on the 2nd amendment. But then I've also become an anarchist in the process so...

However, "gun culture" is still something that needs to be addressed if we ever return to a time when we aren't on the verge of violent collapse.

PatrThom

PatrThom

the threat posed to the federal government by an armed citizenry.
They were a threat to Congress, sure.
Dunno about the Guard, etc.
Of course, as you and @Dave both say, they'd be more of a threat if there was some kind of formal training plan for this militia.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Really...

Was there some other Capitol siege I don't know about? Because the 6th was practically a klan rally.
You're only reading the parts of my post you want. I posted:

" The next time another forum debate about the 2nd amendment comes up, I want people @'ing me to remember this event before they scoff at the threat posed to the federal government by an armed citizenry. "

And you interpreted that as

"A white power tantrum justifies the 2nd amendment."

No, that is not what I said. What I said is that this white power tantrum has demonstrably disproven the concept that an armed citizenry cannot pose a threat to the federal government, which is a concept often put forth in gun control debates here and elsewhere.

The federal government was feeling VERY threatened, both on the 6th and after it.

This is really stretching the metaphor but, if the hammer keeps injuring you somehow (by regularly falling off a shelf and landing on your foot for instance) and people keep asking why you don't get rid of it but you never do because "what if I need to hammer some nails?" but then you do need to hammer some nails but you still don't use the hammer...whats the point of the hammer? Other than injuring you?
The asshole neighbor just demonstrated he knows how to hammer nails... too bad it was to erect a cross on somebody's lawn. If only the people who are afraid of hammers would realize you can also use it to build nice fences and houses.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also, to address the "yeah but THEY HAD HELP FROM INSIDE THE GOVERNMENT" counterarguments:

They always will. And you always will. "The Government" is not a monolithic entity with a single mind and purpose. As Shepherd Book pointed out, governments ARE people (themselves largely ungoverned). There will be those who aid and abet you, and there will be those who aid and abet the other side, and there will those who mobilize people to aid and abet their own causes. You don't need 100% unity to effect change. Loud pluralities (and even minorities) affect change all the time. The majority of colonists did not support the idea of Independence in 1776, and the majority of Germans did not condone fascism in 1938.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, while they walked in, I have no doubt they couldn't hold it. I don't care what guns these weekend warrior wannabes had.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ok, while they walked in, I have no doubt they couldn't hold it. I don't care what guns these weekend warrior wannabes had.
It's just really lucky they didn't actually find any legislative hostages and turn this into Cliven Bundy Standoff 2: DC Boogaloo

Krisken

Krisken

It's just really lucky they didn't actually find any legislative hostages and turn this into Cliven Bundy Standoff 2: DC Boogaloo
Is it? Did we luck out? Because I'd argue their failure only extends this nonsense.

Frank

Frank

Someone did and she was shot dead for it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Is it? Did we luck out? Because I'd argue their failure only extends this nonsense.
I suppose there's an argument to be made for that.

A lot is going to ride on how much accountability is held, both for the insurrectionists and for their enablers in the government.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I don't care what guns these weekend warrior wannabes had.
A side note: it's been pointed out by others that a lot of the weapons seen at these trumpkin events are quite expensive. So what we've been seeing is really just rich old white guys looking out for no one but rich old white guys.

drifter

drifter

Eh, I think a lot of those guys are gun fetishists. People are happy to spend a lot of money on their kink.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I mean they also had to fly to DC, get a hotel, and take a few days off of work. These people might not have all been millionaires, but they sure aren't economically anxious.

Dei

Dei

Some of this was also funded by rich contributors.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I mean they also had to fly to DC, get a hotel, and take a few days off of work. These people might not have all been millionaires, but they sure aren't economically anxious.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Has that douchenozzle been kicked off of twitter yet?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

He did take that tweet down PDQ

figmentPez

figmentPez

Proud Boys leader Joseph Biggs arrested in Florida in connection with the Capitol riot

"Joseph Randall Biggs, 37, of Florida was arrested Wednesday and is facing three counts -- obstruction of a proceeding, entering restricted grounds and disorderly conduct -- for his part in the siege of the Capitol on January 6, according to the Justice Department and an FBI affidavit. The FBI described Biggs in the affidavit as an organizer for the Proud Boys."

Dave

Dave

Today's LegalEagle video is amazing.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I would've said "damning," but yeah.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm a little confused about what "Stop the Steal" supporters who didn't support the insurrection have as a plan of action. They think the courts are against them, the joint chiefs of the military are against them, the justice department is against them, most of the media is against them, friendly allied nations are against them, the entire tech industry is against them, ... They think this is some massive bipartisan conspiracy that stretches across the globe and yet they think there's a legal way for them to proceed?

"<Elected offical> didn't tell them to be violent!" So what were they encouraging them to do? They told them to do everything they could to stop this. They told them there would be no nation if Biden is president. They told them that they would have no freedoms left if the election is not overturned. There is no other option left to overturn the election. There are no lawsuits left to file, there are no court battles left to be had. Democrats control the House and the Senate. What option are "Stop the Steal" supporters planning to take now, if not violent insurrection?

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm a little confused about what "Stop the Steal" supporters who didn't support the insurrection have as a plan of action. They think the courts are against them, the joint chiefs of the military are against them, the justice department is against them, most of the media is against them, friendly allied nations are against them, the entire tech industry is against them, ... They think this is some massive bipartisan conspiracy that stretches across the globe and yet they think there's a legal way for them to proceed?

"<Elected offical> didn't tell them to be violent!" So what were they encouraging them to do? They told them to do everything they could to stop this. They told them there would be no nation if Biden is president. They told them that they would have no freedoms left if the election is not overturned. There is no other option left to overturn the election. There are no lawsuits left to file, there are no court battles left to be had. Democrats control the House and the Senate. What option are "Stop the Steal" supporters planning to take now, if not violent insurrection?
Candlelight vigils, peaceful million man marches on DC, thoughts and prayers, take back the house in 2 years, follow the Real Media for the frauds to be revealed and hope the corrupt MSM will report it once it becomes obvious the People aren't sheep.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Candlelight vigils, peaceful million man marches on DC, thoughts and prayers, take back the house in 2 years, follow the Real Media for the frauds to be revealed and hope the corrupt MSM will report it once it becomes obvious the People aren't sheep.
But they were told that vigils and marches would be outlawed under Biden. They were told that voting wouldn't work because voting can't be trusted anymore.

Bubble181

Bubble181

But they were told that vigils and marches would be outlawed under Biden. They were told that voting wouldn't work because voting can't be trusted anymore.
That's what the thoughts and prayers are for! We shall overcome!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

See my boilerplate reply. They're not worth the time or energy to engage, so fuck 'em. Don't even waste energy to think up "what about X?" FUCK. 'EM.

We have enough to deal with trying to fix the damage they've already done.

Shawn

Shawn

figmentPez

figmentPez

Krisken

Krisken

Jesus, just now? That should have happened the day after.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Jesus, just now? That should have happened two weeks before the attack happened, when everybody already knew something was brewing

Dave

Dave

It would have had someone else been in charge at the time. As it stands, Trump not only didn't WANT that angle investigated, but loved the fact that it was happening.

Krisken

Krisken

I said what I meant. Congress should have asked what happened after they knew about it. The other failure was assholes listening to Trump.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I thought I saw this posted here, but can't find it

Krisken

Krisken

I think it was in the Funny thread.

figmentPez

figmentPez

What the fuck? Woman who allegedly helped steal Pelosi laptop to be released from jail

Released into the custody of her mother? She's 22 years old. She is an adult who is accused of stealing a government official's laptop! She may have been trying to sell it to a hostile foreign nation! How the fuck is she not still in a cell? Oh, yeah, she's white....

Shawn

Shawn

What the fuck? Woman who allegedly helped steal Pelosi laptop to be released from jail

Released into the custody of her mother? She's 22 years old. She is an adult who is accused of stealing a government official's laptop! She may have been trying to sell it to a hostile foreign nation! How the fuck is she not still in a cell? Oh, yeah, she's white....
She wasn't even going to sell it. Supposedly she was just sending it to Russia for free.

Dei

Dei

Celt Z

Celt Z

Awesome. Please find this traitorous asshole/s.

Frank

Frank

Oh a real conspiracy. I'm sure the Q fucking dipshits will be into this...I'm SURE.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ehhh let's not, after all

Bunch of weak, scared fools.
Not convicting Trump either means you've completely lost your party, or that he'll run as third party. Either way, the precedent being set is quite literally that a president can get away with murder and rebellion and even then, he's safe because the Senate doesn't function as a jury.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Google will stop donating to members of Congress who voted against certifying the US election result

I mean, Google shouldn't be allowed to bribe make donations to any member of Congress anyway, but whatever. I'll take what I can get. Especially if the idea spreads.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Ehhh let's not, after all

Bunch of weak, scared fools.
Not convicting Trump either means you've completely lost your party, or that he'll run as third party. Either way, the precedent being set is quite literally that a president can get away with murder and rebellion and even then, he's safe because the Senate doesn't function as a jury.
That's why waiting was such a bad fucking idea.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

So... Kellanne Conway's daughter posted a video where she's being abused by her mom, and in retaliation her mom posted a topless photo of said 16 year old daughter on twitter

Shawn

Shawn

So... Kellanne Conway's daughter posted a video where she's being abused by her mom, and in retaliation her mom posted a topless photo of said 16 year old daughter on twitter
I'd say I should be just as surprised as I am horrified but....

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I bet the Q supporters are tripping over themselves to get those underage pics.

Tress

Tress

I bet the Q supporters are tripping over themselves to get those underage pics.
Eh, at 16 she’s too old for those fucks to be interested.

blotsfan

blotsfan

1611703886398.png

figmentPez

figmentPez

Tucker Carlson is very concerned that "unity" won't include white supremacists....

Shawn

Shawn

Tucker Carlson is very concerned that "unity" won't include white supremacists....

I hate the guy, but I have absolutely no idea where he was going with his thoughts without the rest of the video.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I hate the guy, but I have absolutely no idea where he was going with his thoughts without the rest of the video.
Presumably, "They're going to say that all white people are white supremacists, and say that it's wrong to be proud of being white." Playing the victim card, as usual. Pretending that "white people are persecuted", and it's "because they're christians".

*googles*

Transcript

I pretty damn close. I missed the "they're coming after the American way!" angle.

"He has now declared war. So we should know specifically and precisely who exactly he has declared war on. We have a right to know that."
"Colin Kaepernick who seems to have the unequivocal support of Corporate America calls the Fourth of July an example of white supremacy. So you’d better put away the fireworks and the hotdogs. "
" Among the telltale signs of a committed white supremacist are these: celebrating Columbus Day, using the term American exceptionalism, any support for Federal border security or English only measures or, quote, “education funding from property taxes,” all white supremacy. "
" Using the phrase, 'There’s only one human race' is white supremacy, too, according to the Army, and of course, voting for Donald Trump, all white supremacy."
" Here’s the problem. Let’s say you don’t buy those definitions. Let’s say you’re, for example, white foot poor, and you have trouble accepting the idea that you’re benefiting from some kind of structural advantage. We better shut up about it if you know what’s good for you because according to the United States Army, the quote, 'denial of white privilege' is a classic sign of yes, white supremacy, so no complaining. "

*Blah, blah, blah. Deny, deny, deny. Pseudo-Christian theology.*

" So the question is, why have they kept denouncing us, as of all things, white supremacists? "

Maybe it's because you keep saying racist shit, Tucker. Maybe because you're a habitual liar who wouldn't know a logical argument if someone beat you over the head with it. Maybe it's because you keep saying things that are exactly what a white supremacist would say if they were on a major television show and wanted plausible deniability. All that bullshit about "christianity" and seeing all people as equal doesn't line up with the rest of the shit you say. Paying lip-service to the idea of equality is not the same as actually promoting equality. It's like saying "I believe in eating a balanced diet" and then buying nothing but Twinkies from the store, and eating nothing but funnel cake from restaurants. Saying "I think it's good to eat vegetables" is not the same thing as actually eating a salad.

" so-called Proud Boys, whoever they are, "

Mr. Carlson knows exactly who the Proud Boys are.

"But private equity does have power, a lot of power. So does Google, so does Citibank, so does the government of China,.... "

Mr. Carlson married into the Swanson (frozen dinner) family fortune. He's worth $20 million dollars, and has ties to big business. He doesn't know shit about being poor. (Nor does my dad, typical of many Trump supporters, who often brings out the "Well, I grew up poor in rural Ohio..." My dad, who has told me the story of how one Christmas he didn't get the pony his dad promised him because his dad wanted to buy the family a color TV instead. A color TV in the mid-1960s when less than 10% of households with TVs had color TVs. My dad thinks he grew up poor, but sure as hell did not.)

Carlson's speech went exactly where it was expected to go. It took all the racist shit he and his followers say and do, wrapped them up in religion and the flag, and tried to sell them as the moral high ground. Tucker's speech, paraphrased, was "I'm not racist, you're racist against white people!"

Lastly, a reminder that Tucker Carlson was sued for defamation, and his legal defense was that no "reasonable viewer" takes him seriously. The problem being is that he's got a whole lot of unreasonable viewers. There are a whole lot of angry people who watch him who have rejected all reason and take his words as the absolute truth.

General Specific

General Specific

"Why haven't the Democrats cleaned up all this bomb rubble?" asks Republican, lighting another bomb.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, that was faster than I expected:

Bubble181

Bubble181

Really? I dunno, I guessed "within a month". It'll be proclaimed heroic within another month.

figmentPez

figmentPez

TLDR; The right-wing remains violence-prone.

PatrThom

PatrThom

News flash: “Your republic” is built on oligarchy, oppression, and prejudice, and it should have died back in 1862 like it was supposed to.

—Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

TLDR; The right-wing remains violence-prone.
So when's someone gonna go arrest Kelli Ward?

BErt

BErt

Nevermind i think ive been had

evilmike

evilmike

Rudy is so nuts that even Steve Bannon calls him on it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Capitol siege _ DefSec Memorandum.jpg

Anyone know how unusual such an order is? The acting Secretary of Defense making such specific orders when violence is expected seems pretty sus to me.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So, I'm reading that a lot of these dumbasses that did insurrection at the capitol didn't even vote in the election they were sure trump won.

Fucking idiots.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Why bother voting when you know it's rigged?

MindDetective

MindDetective

Democracy was never the point.

figmentPez

figmentPez

figmentPez

figmentPez

I've quoted this before, and I'm sure I'll have to quote it again, "punishable by fine" just means "legal for rich people".

$5K should not be the cover fee that allows guns into the building.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Ah yes, Mike Lindell. I get all of my conspiracy theories from people who's drug dealers had to have an intervention for them because they are afraid he'd die from an OD

figmentPez

figmentPez

Facing trial for an attack on our nation's capital, and she's being allowed to leave the country.... What the ever-loving fuck?

Bubble181

Bubble181

White people aren't a flight risk, since they know they'll never have it as good anywhere else as in Apartheid America.

Bubble181

Bubble181

And she won't bring covid in because she doesn't believe in it, and covid works on Santa logic.

drifter

drifter

Story has been amended, there has been no ruling on the request.

figmentPez

figmentPez

They're applauding the conspiracy nut.

Frank

Frank

That's your first madam president you're slagging off there.

@Li3n

@Li3n

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm not at all surprised that Roger Stone was lying about where he was on the 6th, and that he was obviously helping to plan the insurrection.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The GOP is now trying to claim that the impeachment is a distraction to cover-up that Nancy Pelosi was behind the Jan 6th insurrection...

:rage:

PatrThom

PatrThom

These are the same people who have expressed concerns about Jewish space LASERs conflagratin' up the West Coast, right?

--Patrick

@Li3n

@Li3n

The GOP is now trying to claim that the impeachment is a distraction to cover-up that Nancy Pelosi was behind the Jan 6th insurrection...

:rage:
Heh, knew it that they couldn't resist going back to "It was actually antifa, you guys!".

The funny thing is that that is the most effective way to make their followers that participated in the Capitol "protest" question if they're not being used.

figmentPez

figmentPez

PatrThom

PatrThom

I would be more receptive to that line of thinking if the mistakes in question hadn't been done deliberately.
"I didn't think I would get caught, guess I was wrong" is not a "mistake," it is bad judgement, an inability to accurately assess risk, and a failure to consider the consequences of one's actions.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

Imagine if we just said "Fuck the impeachment" and immediately filed federal charges against Trump for Jan 6th. It would probably be 1000x more effective, even if it doesn't work, because we already know the Senate isn't impartial.

@Li3n

@Li3n

C'mon guys... i'm sure that this time he totally learned his lesson...

And if he didn't... 3rd time's a charm...

MindDetective

MindDetective

Every impeachment trial trial has been partisan. The only one that wouldn't have been is Nixon's, if it had made it that far.

Krisken

Krisken

And that's because it was actually hurting Republicans. Today, there is no shame.

Dei

Dei

@Li3n

@Li3n

Looks like the Trial is back on the menu, boys: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56005458

evilmike

evilmike

The six Republicans who joined with the Democrats on voting to continue the trial were Sens. Susan Collins of Maine, Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Mitt Romney of Utah, Ben Sasse of Nebraska and Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania. (FoxNews)

PatrThom

PatrThom

Looks like the Trial is back on the menu, boys: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56005458
lfg.gif

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

Michigan's Top Republican Calls U.S. Capitol Attack A 'Hoax'

"It's been a hoax since day one, it was all pre-arranged."
"It was all staged."
"I think they wanted to have a mess.... They wouldn't have had a mess with you guys, so they had to recruit this other group of people."

He also questions why "just that one woman" was shot, explains that he thinks there are puppeteers above elected officials who are pulling strings,

And, as if to highlight his stupidity, he asks "How were there so many cameras there?" Because everyone carries a camera around with them! They're called smartphones! Dumbass.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Michigan's Top Republican Calls U.S. Capitol Attack A 'Hoax'

"It's been a hoax since day one, it was all pre-arranged."
"It was all staged."
"I think they wanted to have a mess.... They wouldn't have had a mess with you guys, so they had to recruit this other group of people."

He also questions why "just that one woman" was shot, explains that he thinks there are puppeteers above elected officials who are pulling strings,

And, as if to highlight his stupidity, he asks "How were there so many cameras there?" Because everyone carries a camera around with them! They're called smartphones! Dumbass.
He's given a typical non-apology.

General Specific

General Specific

Also, it's the fucking Capitol! I'd hope there were a lot of cameras there! I work at a high school and we have 140+ cameras. I'd hope the Capitol building has more coverage than an average high school.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Also, it's the fucking Capitol! I'd hope there were a lot of cameras there! I work at a high school and we have 140+ cameras. I'd hope the Capitol building has more coverage than an average high school.
I dunno, even over the past month, there have been more shootings, and more fatalities, in average high schools than in congress.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Truly, you guys need a party of Law and Order to make the justice system tougher on folks. All this weak "oh let them, they won't try to run, or, we can't inconvenience people for a one time error" BS wouldn't be true in a country with strong leadership and a government that would crack down on this lawless scum.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Guess they're scared of what happens if they air the truth.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Guess they're scared of what happens if they air the truth.
They don't want to air fake news lol

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

In Caldwell's red barn, law enforcement recovered a flag that resembles the American flag in the upper left corner with the rest of the flag resembling the Christopher Gadsden flag —a coiled rattlesnake on a yellow background over the words 'DON'T TREAD ON ME.' On the flag are a number of signatures written in black marker. Included in the group of signatures are what appear to be 'Don Crowl' and 'Jessica M. Watkins' under the words 'OHIO Regulars.'"

figmentPez

figmentPez

Krisken

Krisken

Of course they are trying to rewrite history. Gaslighting is their favorite play, and they do it well.

Shawn

Shawn

Of course they are trying to rewrite history. Gaslighting is their favorite play, and they do it well.
They are not allowed to be Ducktales.

figmentPez

figmentPez

White nationalists want to blow up the Capitol and kill as many people as possible, at or around the time of the next State of the Union.

figmentPez

figmentPez

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

'I don't think so, Pentagon"

Frank

Frank

This has been a weird night.

Hey, that looks hilariously like Jay Johnston of Mr. Show, Sarah Silverman, Bob's Burgers, etc.

1614959230713.png

Oh fuck. It legit might actually be him.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oh fuck. It legit might actually be him.\
Tweet deleted.
...so here it is from Google's cache!

notsosilentbob.png

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Ever since Jan 6, this is exactly, word-for-word, the headline I was waiting for.

I'm not disappointed.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I can’t even...

Frank

Frank

This has been a weird night.

Hey, that looks hilariously like Jay Johnston of Mr. Show, Sarah Silverman, Bob's Burgers, etc.

View attachment 37277

Oh fuck. It legit might actually be him.

FUCK, this is still unresolved with a few more ex-coworkers saying, "Yeah, probably."

Heart-breaking, I fucking love Jay in stuff and Mr. Show is literally my favourite comedy anything ever.

ALLLLLSSSSOOOOOOOOO

Laugh out loud. I love that this nazi piece of shit grows a shittier mustache than me.

PatrThom

PatrThom

FIRST of all, it's actually called a "toothbrush" mustache, not a "Hitler" mustache.
Second of all, you ain't lyin'. This looks like a mug shot taken after he got caught trying to get high by snorting the leftovers from a bag of Kingsford Match Light charcoal.

--Patrick

Tress

Tress

FIRST of all, it's actually called a "toothbrush" mustache, not a "Hitler" mustache.
Uh huh. And the swastika is just a good luck charm from Tibet.

Look, I know being pedantic is your thing. But sometimes when something gets associated with a certain person or event, the name gets changed. And I know you know that.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Uh huh. And the swastika is just a good luck charm from Tibet.

Look, I know being pedantic is your thing. But sometimes when something gets associated with a certain person or event, the name gets changed. And I know you know that.
Yes, and when people call all skinheads nazi's, and all toothbrush moustaches are Hitler 'staches, and everyone using the Flemish flag without the red tongue is by definition a racist, and so on and so forth, you're just quietly allowing the extremes to hijack and monopolize more and more symbols. Every symbol is being taken over, and it's a bad thing.

I mean, to be clear, in this instance I'm 100% convinced he was trying to grow a Hitler 'stache (and failing badly). But that doesn't mean we shouldn't still try to keep our vocabulary clean.

Tress

Tress

Yes, and when people call all skinheads nazi's, and all toothbrush moustaches are Hitler 'staches, and everyone using the Flemish flag without the red tongue is by definition a racist, and so on and so forth, you're just quietly allowing the extremes to hijack and monopolize more and more symbols. Every symbol is being taken over, and it's a bad thing.

I mean, to be clear, in this instance I'm 100% convinced he was trying to grow a Hitler 'stache (and failing badly). But that doesn't mean we shouldn't still try to keep our vocabulary clean.
1) Language evolves, and trying to stop what is essentially a flood of people (everyone is going to call that a "Hitler mustache") using a phrase a certain way, or attaching a newer meaning to words, is foolish. At some point it just becomes pedantic to cling to the etymology.

2) Slippery-slope fallacy is called a fallacy for a reason. To use one of my favorite southern terms, "that dog won't hunt." Just because some symbols have changed their meaning due to association does not mean that somehow every symbol is in danger of being co-opted. But it does happen to some symbols, and acknowledging that is not going to hurt.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I know being pedantic is your thing.
I'm never pedantic just to be pedantic. It's always done either with humorous intent or as a genuine attempt to educate.
But, like @Bubble181 says, the only way a hijacked symbol is ever going to shed its corrupted reputation is if people return to using it how it was originally meant [EDIT: Or give it an entirely new meaning]. Maintaining that a symbol can never change to shed its polluted association ignores the fact that it had to change to gain it in the first place.

--Patrick

General Specific

General Specific

Some symbols, like the Hitler Mustache or the Nazi Swastika, will never lose it's association with something as horrible as the Holocaust. Nor should they. It is too important for us to remember what happened so that we can try to keep it from ever happening again.

I understand that there were meanings to some symbols prior to being co-opted and those meanings can still be used, but the new meanings should remain.

Other things, like the OK hand gesture should eventually go back to just meaning OK after this latest round of jackasses die out and people forget the meaning. But the swastika? No, sorry, that one is never going back.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

1) Language evolves, and trying to stop what is essentially a flood of people (everyone is going to call that a "Hitler mustache") using a phrase a certain way, or attaching a newer meaning to words, is foolish. At some point it just becomes pedantic to cling to the etymology.
I've made this same argument years and years ago when people fought to keep the "hacker" term's "good" meaning, and fought to keep the term "cracker" for people who broke into systems.

Sometimes, there's just no fighting the tide, and you have to go with where the cultural zeitgeist takes the language. In more modern times, I still cringe every time I hear about a picture that's "cursed"...that bit of language change just gnaws at my soul. ;)

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

What about cursed frogurt?

Frank

Frank

That's bad.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I understand that there were meanings to some symbols prior to being co-opted and those meanings can still be used, but the new meanings should remain.
I agree that the new meanings should be acknowledged, but I feel like there should be effort to revert or at least deemphasize the most egregious ones. I want them to get the "New Coke" treatment--everyone knows it happened, everyone agrees it was a bad idea, everyone went back to the "Classic" version and the "New" version, while not forgotten, was at least discontinued.

--Patrick

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

You can't really compare "New Coke" with "Genocide" though. I mean, it was bad, but not THAT bad.

The fact is, the horrors of the Holocaust are not likely to fade away until we are at least two generations removed from the people that experienced it. There are still people living today that lived the Holocaust, so it's best not to get "Well ACTUALLY..." about the naming of a mustache or the classical root meaning of the swastika.

Yes, some things will revert in meaning a hundred years from now, or hell, get new meanings, but I agree we can't really get pedantic about it because it disrespects the horrors those symbols still bring to living peoples nightmares.

Bubble181

Bubble181

You can't really compare "New Coke" with "Genocide" though. I mean, it was bad, but not THAT bad.

The fact is, the horrors of the Holocaust are not likely to fade away until we are at least two generations removed from the people that experienced it. There are still people living today that lived the Holocaust, so it's best not to get "Well ACTUALLY..." about the naming of a mustache or the classical root meaning of the swastika.

Yes, some things will revert in meaning a hundred years from now, or hell, get new meanings, but I agree we can't really get pedantic about it because it disrespects the horrors those symbols still bring to living peoples nightmares.
Which is
1) a purely emotional appeal which doesn't actually mean anything
2) is.. Without wanting to be offensive, like a white Woman getting upset in the name of a black guy for a racially charged joke he was okay with.
My grandparents were in the war, three of them were in camps (two work, one death - he survived), my great uncle was a Jew and was one of the "lucky" ones who got released from a death camp only to be taken to a Russian Gulag, and survive that as well. Nobody made horrible camping trip / chimney / soap / etc jokes like him and my grandfather.
3) flawed because, while there are still people alive, even so there's already plenty of people calling it overblown, fake, exaggerated, etc etc.

Look, I'm not saying I want the toothbrush mustache to come back into fashion or anything! Heck, I said nothing this time :p but we can't reduce Hitler - or the nazis - to a few main symbols. I'll even go further - the fact that we reduced the nazis as a whole to "bad folks who all just want to kill all Jews with some big crosses and ugly mustaches" is a big, big problem with how we've dealt with WWII.
It's not that "some nazis weren't so bad", it's that "most nazis didn't consider themselves bad". People don't consider themselves as bad as or similar to nazis! They would never operate a gas chamber! But, 99.9% of all nazis didn't and wouldn't, either. They just created an atmosphere where others saw that as a perfectly valid solution. Modern day propaganda about Muslims and black people is already as bad as anything about Jews the nazis ever put out - and what they say about gay people could just be carbon copied.
Hitlers mustache is like Trumps orangeness. It's an easy physical attribute to make fun of, but it's also something that makes him instantly recognizable. And while I'm not a fan of fake spray paint tan, I don't think being orange should suddenly man you're clearly a fascist.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Which is 1) a purely emotional appeal which doesn't actually mean anything
So you are saying we shouldn't take into account the emotional sensitivity of others? It's okay to appeal to emotion, as long as the emotion actually has gravity to it, like, you know, surviving genocide.

2) is.. Without wanting to be offensive, like a white Woman getting upset in the name of a black guy for a racially charged joke he was okay with.
You are mixing up a personal situation within only a few people are joking around and a much larger social issue. If a white woman gets upset at a dude for calling a black guy a slur on social media, even though the black guy was okay with it, does not absolve the dude from social mockery. Indeed, there would be hundreds of others in the black community ready to call the guy a dipshit. If the dude was with his friend and some white lady overheard and started yelling at them in the Rite Aid, then they can deal with that themselves.

My grandparents were in the war, three of them were in camps (two work, one death - he survived), my great uncle was a Jew and was one of the "lucky" ones who got released from a death camp only to be taken to a Russian Gulag, and survive that as well. Nobody made horrible camping trip / chimney / soap / etc jokes like him and my grandfather.
As were some of my grandparents (Not Jewish, but fought in the wars). It's great to say "Well I know people that survived and they made jokes all the time" but that does not work for everyone. For your grandparents being able to make soap jokes, my grandfather woke up every night with PTSD from all the shit he dealt with in Czechoslovakia.

3) flawed because, while there are still people alive, even so there's already plenty of people calling it overblown, fake, exaggerated, etc etc.
And there are plenty of people that say the opposite. Are we going to have to get into a fight of statistics now?

Look, I'm not saying I want the toothbrush mustache to come back into fashion or anything! Heck, I said nothing this time :p but we can't reduce Hitler - or the nazis - to a few main symbols. I'll even go further - the fact that we reduced the nazis as a whole to "bad folks who all just want to kill all Jews with some big crosses and ugly mustaches" is a big, big problem with how we've dealt with WWII.
It's not that "some nazis weren't so bad", it's that "most nazis didn't consider themselves bad". People don't consider themselves as bad as or similar to nazis! They would never operate a gas chamber! But, 99.9% of all nazis didn't and wouldn't, either. They just created an atmosphere where others saw that as a perfectly valid solution. Modern day propaganda about Muslims and black people is already as bad as anything about Jews the nazis ever put out - and what they say about gay people could just be carbon copied. Hitlers mustache is like Trumps orangeness. It's an easy physical attribute to make fun of, but it's also something that makes him instantly recognizable. And while I'm not a fan of fake spray paint tan, I don't think being orange should suddenly man you're clearly a fascist.
Symbols and understanding those symbols or the nuances of how the war went are not mutually exclusive things.

Yes, just because Trump was orange does not mean we have to mark all people with a shitty tan as a fascist.

Now when he actually gathers his "Orange Patriots" wearing large TRUMP letters on their uniforms and horrible fake spray tans, marching out of Florida and gathering every Mexican they can find into work camps from which they will likely either die or be killed, and ending with 75 million people dead through either extermination or conflict, then we can have a conversation about what those symbols can mean less then 100 years later.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Arizona had swastikas on the state highway signs until WW2.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Arizona had swastikas on the state highway signs until WW2.
Not surprising, since the Navajo (and others) were using it long before WW2 until its meaning was polluted.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

One of the guys just arrested in connection with the death of the Capitol Police officer is from here. Owner of a popular restaurant. :facepalm:

chris

chris

Let me guess, pillar of society.

figmentPez

figmentPez

U.S. charges Proud Boys with conspiracy in Capitol assault that turned deadly

" A federal grand jury charged four leaders of the far-right Proud Boys with conspiring to block Congress from certifying U.S. President Joe Biden’s election on the day of a deadly assault on the Capitol, according to court papers unsealed on Friday. "

PatrThom

PatrThom

I didn't even know there was another attack on the Capitol yesterday until probably midnight last night.
Granted, compared to the events of the 6th, it was more like the Charles Bishop incident, but still.

--Patrick

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

I wasn't sure if I should put this under the Metal thread too.

Just Me

Just Me

I wasn't sure if I should put this under the Metal thread too.

That's Dee Snider, he's not gonna take it!

figmentPez

figmentPez

It comes as no surprise that the trials have been a fucking circus:

Lawyer blames 'Foxitis' for his US Capitol riot client's actions, as another defendant derails hearings with profane outbursts

"Antonio, his lawyer Joseph Hurley said, had lost his job at the beginning of the pandemic and for the next six months watched Fox News constantly. Antonio developed what his lawyer called 'Foxitis' and 'Foxmania,' and believed the lies about the 2020 election from Fox News and then-President Donald Trump."

Ah, yes, the party of personal accountability is shifting the blame, as usual.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Maybe not in this particular case, but I would love to see Fox get sued into oblivion for all the lies they spread.

General Specific

General Specific

Still in the "throw every defense at the wall and see what sticks" phase, I see.

I swear it's like the lawyers for all those idiots are on their own message board and just coming up with random ideas.

"Ok, how about this: 'My client never wanted to enter the Capitol, they were struggling against the tide of other protestors and simply got pushed into the building.'

What about, 'My client is an amateur plumber and noticed some of the pipes outside had gotten broken and were merely going in to offer their services to fix or inform someone inside of the damages?' No?

Hmmm, 'My client is an avid bird watcher and saw a rare Painted Bunting fly into the building and simply followed it in to observe it and nothing more.'

'My client was mesmerized by Aurora Borealis'?"

bhamv3

bhamv3

Aurora Borealis? At this time of year, at this time of day, at this part of the country, localized entirely within the Capitol Building?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Aurora Borealis? At this time of year, at this time of day, at this part of the country, localized entirely within the Capitol Building?
...Yes!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Meanwhile, the REAL crazy is happening about 26 miles west of me. Someone wanna explain "bamboo ballots" to me?

EDIT: Never mind, explained elsewhere.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Fuck Albert Watkins, and fuck the QAnon Shaman.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm PRETTY sure any decent lawyer shouldn't be saying that about anyone, let alone their own client.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'm about to die of a heart attack from not surprised.

PatrThom

PatrThom

"We love cops, and we hate protestors. Just not these cops, nor these protes-- I mean 'tourists.'"

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

magaetz.jpg

My wife: "They really love that phrase, don't they? 'Shoving things down our throats.'"

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

Gaetz is really trying to distract people from his "troubles", isn't he?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Are we not even using PHRASING! anymore, Matt?

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Well . . .
gasgaetz.jpg