UPS fed my college textbook to my dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my brother went outside just now to find the textbook I rented online laying out in the yard, chewed up by my dog. Nobody heard the UPS truck pull up the driveway or honk; it seems as if they chose to simply throw the package inside the gate of the dog yard and drive off, rather than leave it on the stone walkway just outside the gate like they normally do.

It still in usable condition, but it looks pretty nasty. Since I rented it I'm worried bookrenter will force me to pay for the damages. I'm feeling pretty peeved towards UPS right now. I'm going to e-mail bookrenter and show them pictures to ask if I'll have to pay for it or they'll take it back as is.

There's a lot of teeth marks on the cover not visible in the pictures because of the light shining off the book.

Is there any way I can get UPS to take responsibility if I have to pay for the damage? Or are they probably just going tell me it's company policy to leave small chewable packages with dogs? If it was a huge box I'd understand, but this was something the dog would quite obviously be able to fit in her mouth.

figmentPez

Staff member
Call UPS and complain. If whoever answers won't take responsibility, then ask to speak to their boss, and their boss, until you get satisfaction or they won't let you speak to anyone higher. If you don't get help (or get exceptionally good help) then go here:

The Consumerist

Submit your story to this blog. Even if they don't put it in, you can still check the blog for How to Launch an Executive Email Carpet Bomb, which is a great last option before litigation (Yeah, you could take UPS to small claims court, you'd probably win, but it might cost more than it's worth, I dunno.)

M

makare

the usps left my law books in our dog kennel with four dogs. luckily nothing bad happened to them. stupid mail delivery people.

The postal service usually drops off my packages at the neighbours house when I'm not home, though I've heard of many people who got their packages hidden on their property somewhere. Which usually means it got damaged.

I second the suggestion to get all up in their case about it, because you definitely shouldn't have to pay for damage that is directly their fault.

I decided on Friday I would email book renter about it first and see what they say before doing anything about UPS. They said since I'm not at fault they're putting a note on my account about the damage so I won't have to pay for it when the book's returned. While I'm still less trustful of UPS now, I guess there's not much more to be done about them since I don't own the book and I'm not being charged anything for the damage now.

Rent Textbooks | Cheap College Textbook Rentals | BookRenter.com seems to be some pretty cool guys though. I recommend them highly if you're going to college and still need to get your textbooks for the semester.

You still need to jump on UPS' case about this. They are supposed to make a "reasonable effort" to deliver to a person or leave the package in a spot that will not allow it to be damaged. 1-800-742-5878 is their number. Yes, I have to call them on occasion, they have an entire department to deal with freight damages, just press 0 until it gives you an operator, their voice system doesn't recognize damages or claims as valid commands.

To tell them what, exactly? "You guys wrecked the book I rented, but the rental company said it's okay, so I don't need any compensation. I just wanna tell you that you suck."

They need to be told that due to their actions a parcel was damaged due to the actions of the delivery person. It's the only way that a company like that knows that they are doing something wrong. You don't say something it's gonna happen again, and you might not be so lucky next time. It also gives you backup if the rental company decides that they don't want to say it's okay when it is time to return the book. UPS should inform the sender that a package they sent was damaged and give more weight to the note that is in the file.

the usps left my law books in our dog kennel with four dogs. luckily nothing bad happened to them. stupid mail delivery people.
Yeah, those poor dogs. I don't know how their little brains could cope with any kind of lawyerly scholarly texts. You lucked out this time! Pray that economics books aren't left next!

Status
Not open for further replies.