[Question] Universal Remote

This is one of the situations in which my GoogleFu is always weak. I have a Philips 49PFL4609/F7 smart TV. The TV works great (as opposed to my last TV, where the HDMI slots pulled off of the circuit board and I couldn't use HD anymore), but the remotes are so cheaply made that I need a third. I can buy another OEM remote off of Amazon, but why keep buying crap? These remotes are so cheaply made that the battery cover doesn't actually fit the main remote body and every two or three days you have to take the batteries out, push as hard as you can on all of the buttons, and occasionally (gently) twist it back and forth to get the buttons lined back up with the circuits behind them, before you can go back to using it.

So, does anyone have a line a universal remote that will work with this model of TV and can handle Netflix? I don't actually watch TV on my TV much anymore.

While I can't tell you if it'll handle this exact TV, I was quite happy with the Logitech harmony line, and it does work with Philips tv's and Netflix, so I don't see why it wouldn't.

GasBandit

Staff member
Whatever you do, don't bother with any "universal remote" apps that use the IR emitter on your smartphone. That was a fucking rabbit warren I fell down for weeks, trying to find something to work on my TV. Not a one of them ever did.

Whatever you do, don't bother with any "universal remote" apps that use the IR emitter on your smartphone. That was a fucking rabbit warren I fell down for weeks, trying to find something to work on my TV. Not a one of them ever did.
Huh. The app that came with my Samsung tablet worked quite readily with the TVs here. My bartender was not amused.

Yeah, that was my first step last year when my first crappy remote died. It looks like this one is going to hold on for a while longer though, and could actually really work well if I just find some electrical tape and tape the batteries in as tightly as I can. Of course the number buttons are a bit in the way then.