[News] UK police ban the term "blacklist" for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shit you not. Officers are to use the terms "redlist" or "greenlist" (for whitelist) instead.

Every time I think the UK couldn't get any more heavy-handed with the nanny state, they pull crap like this. I can't see how they can possible pull off a successful Olympics in such an atmosphere.

It does sound trivial, unnecessary, and unhelpful in correcting any real problems. On the other hand, it doesn't hurt either, seems simple enough to implement, and the signal being sent might tone down some of the more pointless whining from detractors. So I think I can see why they did it.

It's not a perfect world where these ridiculous-seeming measures need to be taken, and an even less perfect world if such sleight-of-hand is considered adequate to combat actual problems. But meh, what can you do.

Every time I think the UK couldn't get any more heavy-handed with the nanny state, they pull crap like this. I can't see how they can possible pull off a successful Olympics in such an atmosphere.
I don't see what one has to do with the other. If China can pull off the Olympics, pretty sure the UK is fine.

ElJuski

Staff member
I laugh not only at the UK thing, but also the awkward fumbling this thread will become in making clumsy, awkward jokes and then justifying it all.

M

makare

I don't get how changing this term in anyway advances a "nanny state". Who cares what it is called?

Moment I saw the topic header, I thought 'this is daily mail again, isn't it'

what a shock. the daily mail is to the UK what fox news is to the US. Its one email from one idiot in management in the IT department.

jesus fucking christ I hate the daily mail.

Red for stop, green for go; hence redlist and greenlist. Makes sense. I never particularly considered "blacklist" to be a racist term, but that's because my cultural reference of the term was based on McCarthyism and the Red Scare - as in communism and the politics of fear.

Guess we had better change the black flag in auto racing... but there's already a red flag and a green flag...

WHAT WILL WE DO?!

That's why the Checkered Flag indicates victory, a union of harmony between people from all walks of life. And yet people think NASCAR is just made up of ignorant, dumb, racist hicks. :confused:

Oh yeah. My personal favorite still has to be the reaction (by some) to the choice of February as Black History Month. It's my go-to example of how ridiculous this sort of thing can get.

--Patrick

Oh yeah. My personal favorite still has to be the reaction (by some) to the choice of February as Black History Month. It's my go-to example of how ridiculous this sort of thing can get.

--Patrick
Without knowing exactly what the reaction was, I assume it was negative because February is the shortest month?

"Shortchanged," yes. As if the month was deliberately chosen for that very reason. Ridiculous. Goes to show that people can be bred far more sensitive than even what we deal with on this forum.

--Patrick

I remember in my high school English class, the teacher was making a point about the language being racist, because black and dark were treated as evil.

My reply was, when those phrases entered the language, there were no Africans to speak of in England. Things being bad because they are dark relies on being in dark places is frightening. Also the unseen is frightening.

ElJuski

Staff member
I remember in my high school English class, the teacher was making a point about the language being racist, because black and dark were treated as evil.

My reply was, when those phrases entered the language, there were no Africans to speak of in England. Things being bad because they are dark relies on being in dark places is frightening. Also the unseen is frightening.
I had an African-American Lit teacher try to tell me that people were culturally afraid of darkness and the night because of racist undertones. Guy was a fucking quack.

This is not to say that cultural and race issues aren't incredibly deep, nuanced, and fascinating. It's just not here in the OP's story or about the night time.

I had an African-American Lit teacher try to tell me that people were culturally afraid of darkness and the night because of racist undertones. Guy was a fucking quack.

This is not to say that cultural and race issues aren't incredibly deep, nuanced, and fascinating. It's just not here in the OP's story or about the night time.
Are you sure he didn't mean that people could be subconciously racist because of a fear of darkness and the night? Because that makes a shitload more sense than the tripe he was spewing otherwise.

ElJuski

Staff member
Nope, not as I recall it. Even then though, it still doesn't make sense. Black people aren't shadowy tar monsters or anything; their skin isn't pitch black like the gloaming. Either way, I totally hated that class and thought that guy was a pretentious ivory tower boob.

Wait, Charlie's back? Does this mean that the entire "state of the board" thread was over nothing?

Or were you seduced by my milky white thighs?

I bet you it was the thighs...

God, I need a good night's sleep.

Wait, Charlie's back? Does this mean that the entire "state of the board" thread was over nothing?

Or were you seduced by my milky white thighs?

I bet you it was the thighs...

God, I need a good night's sleep.
Well, Yoshimickster's not back yet.

As for the "blacklist" thing, storm in a teacup. Police officers will still use it, maybe not in an official capacity, but they'll still use it colloquially. Life goes on.

That reminds me, I came across Yoshimickster's trail a while back. He apparently hangs around the forums of a scanlation site.

S

SeraRelm

Remember when a shitfit was thrown over hard drive Master/Slave terminology?
Well that's just because only black people were ever slaves and the term itself is racist.

Also, "frozen stars" are racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.