[Other] Twitch Streaming Thread

Dave

Staff member
Okay, so I now have set us up with our own Twitch account. Right now I have it tied down to all my stuff (I deleted my personal Twitch account and will be just using the Halforums one), but there's a key that is generated that will allow anyone to broadcast on the Halforums channel.

So if you want to post a video to that channel let me know. I also have the key as a picture file if you think it would be a good idea to just post it here.

The channel is here: http://www.twitch.tv/halforums

But of course, there's nothing there yet.

If you guys want to help populate that would be cool. I'm going to start a game of Bioshock Infinite there soon...

figmentPez

Staff member
I would love to stream, if my computer were more capable. I might be able to stream some games with lower system requirements, though, but most of what I have to play in my library pushes my system to it's limits, with no horsepower left to encode video.

I've just started using twitch to stream league of legends and could do some on there. I don't know how to get my broadcasts to save yet though. They show up when I'm live streaming but cannot be viewed later. Also how would two people trying to stream at once using the same channel work?

GasBandit

Staff member
I just frapsed a little War Thunder, and turns out that even at half resolution I'm looking at over a gig a minute! I'm looking at finding an encoder of some sort because uploading that from home on my measely 1meg upstream will take all night.

Dave

Staff member
I don't think it works with two at the same time, so if anyone else is interested we could set up a sort of schedule. Or we could do multiplayer games like the blimp combat game and it would have all of us on it.

There is an option in your settings>channels & videos that I've found that will archive your broadcasts but you have to enable it. I believe that will then save them, at least temporarily though I have yet to try it out yet.

Dave

Staff member
There is an option in your settings>channels & videos that I've found that will archive your broadcasts but you have to enable it. I believe that will then save them, at least temporarily though I have yet to try it out yet.
Already done. But it only saves them for like 4 days. Which is why I'm allowing anyone to broadcast if they can, because I doubt I'd build up that kinda buffer.

GasBandit

Staff member
SO what did you use to record this?
Fraps (full 1080p resolution, 30 fps), recorded in AVI then encoded it into divx for upload using Ultra Avi Converter. Before converting, the AVI was over 15 gigs. I got it down to a few hundred megs, which is important because my max upload speed is about 180 kbytes/sec here at home. I briefly considered throwing it on a flash drive and taking it to work to upload it at 8 megabit. But the upload was only 80 minutes, so not horrible.

I tell you, the difference between 60 and 30 fps is astonishing in quality. You can see it even in videos. Video 1 was recorded at half resolution but 60fps, and it looks so smooth before uploading which helps the resolution issues somewhat... but youtube cuts everything down to 30.

Dave

Staff member
Just did two Skyrim videos. The first was me starting a new game, which I've done a thousand times. Kinda boring. The second was after I downloaded a couple new addons.

The first is called "Random Alternate Start" and when paired with the Nexus addon called "Character Creation Overhaul" makes starting games fun again. You are put in one of 463 starting points with basic character loadouts like Assassin, Knight, or Nightblade. These two have really energized me to start a new game. Be warned, though! It plunks you into areas that might be dangerous! First time I used it I started in a bandit fort and had to fight my way out. But you start with gear and since monsters scale it works out really, really well. If you watch the two videos you'll really note the difference in my voice. In the first one I'm bored as shit. In the second I'm actually excited to be playing.

Is it possible to have your videos automatically transfer to a youtube account? I know you can link the two but not sure what that does.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
I saw that. Basically some idiots have found out where he lived and have called in the SWAT teams...twice.

Dave

Staff member
Twitch has been hacked and I had to change the password. If you are still interested in streaming, let me know and I'll give you the updated password.

I might try to play some hearthstone on there! Me and my friends want to steam at some point so this will let me see how that works :D

Friday for sure. My hobo will be out :)

Streaming is a lot of pressure....will I still stand in stupid and die if its being recorded?