Former President Trump Thread

The consensus of the debate will be that trump won because he didn't take a literal shit on stage. I should just try to avoid all punditry because I know this, but I won't and I hate myself.

Can't fucking handle all this gross bewilderment.

Any time Trump says something terrible, all his supports just say he was joking. Tonight Biden, to mock him for saying he has done more for black people then anyone, sarcastically referred to him as Abraham Lincoln, and now the trumpists are latching on and taking it as Biden literally calling Abe a racist, because I guess monotone statements are now jokes and noticeable sarcasm is literal statements.

Someone get me off this planet.

I've only seen clips and stuff, but is it just the makeup/lighting, or does it look like Trump suddenly dropped a bunch of weight?

What I don't understand - I really, really don't - is Trump's numbers on the economy.
Even now, still, a majority of poll responders across many many polls, trust trump more on the economy than Biden.

Now, I'm far from a leftie. I'm not a communist. But...What, exactly, is it people think he did for "the economy"? It was doing fine and growing under Obama, and under Trump, it only got objectively worse for average people. Even before Corona, stocks were up and profits were up, but wages and private savings were down, private debt, home ownership, poverty, etc were all up.

I understand the 30% to believe Trump is better than Biden on the economy - they probably think he's more fit, more beatiful, and a better football player, too - but how can 55+% of the people honestly think that? it just breaks my thinking gland.

What, exactly, is it people think he did for "the economy"?
He encouraged everyone to ignore the troubling parts. It's like, instead of attacking the mold and the termites spreading through the frame, he just put new siding on a house and declared it "fixed."

--Patrick

What I don't understand - I really, really don't - is Trump's numbers on the economy.
Even now, still, a majority of poll responders across many many polls, trust trump more on the economy than Biden.

Now, I'm far from a leftie. I'm not a communist. But...What, exactly, is it people think he did for "the economy"? It was doing fine and growing under Obama, and under Trump, it only got objectively worse for average people. Even before Corona, stocks were up and profits were up, but wages and private savings were down, private debt, home ownership, poverty, etc were all up.

I understand the 30% to believe Trump is better than Biden on the economy - they probably think he's more fit, more beatiful, and a better football player, too - but how can 55+% of the people honestly think that? it just breaks my thinking gland.
People here are conditioned to believe that the measure of the economy is how well the richest are doing.

People here are conditioned to believe that the measure of the economy is how well the richest are doing.
That, and Trump succeeded in pushing through a one time tax cut, so the average worker got an extra few hundred dollars one year. Sure, the mega-rich of this country got a permanent massive decrease, but he threw bread crumbs to average people one time. That, combined with “the Stock Market is up!” was enough to dupe people into thinking he did something great for the economy.

Also, people are still stuck on the idea that Trump is a brilliant businessman because of The Apprentice.

That should be mentioned to every NHL fanbase: think of the worst owner your team ever had. That guy was an angel next to Trump.

Yes, even Harold Ballard.

In an alternate reality he would've owned my NFL team.

That being said, in that reality he probably wouldn't be president. I frequently debate if that trade is worth it.

Where’s that thing about how the super rich throw off those “average family spends $£€xxx every year on yyyy” figures SO MUCH that they’re useless since technically the “average family” also spends X on fine art, X on yachts, X on second homes, etc.?

—Patrick

It's easy, really. Most people, especially Trump's core base of ignorant poor to middle class, have absolutely no idea what's going on in 'the economy.' Or healthcare, or really anything that's happening. They get all of their information from right wing news sources that all say Donald Trump is doing great and everyone is great and aren't you happy to be doing so great? And they believe it.

Yup, that's about it. That they are a paycheck away from bankruptcy doesn't matter.
Blankenship and Murray went so hard on "War on Coal" that even the Democrats began to believe it. Even as the industry collapsed around us, they believed it. Even as we elected a governor with millions in unpaid bills, they believed it. Even as they give the officials who killed their hopes and dreams a 20-point lead in the polls, they believe it.

Stupidest state in the nation for good reason. 49th in everything forever for good reason. If I had the means, I'd pack up and leave. But I don't, so I can't.

GasBandit

Staff member
Lord give me the patience to deal with my older relatives trying to post opinion WSJ articles as proof that we should vote for Trump.