Former President Trump Thread

I can honestly see people defend it because there's no time for the insecurities and instabilities of elections what with the war/civil war/etc going on. Never mind elections during the Civil War and both World Wars.

And honestly, the person of Mitch isn't important - whoever is Speaker for the majority is apparently in total single control over everything that can get made into law in any way, which is completely bonkers. The only type of country that allows the full legislative power to be concentrated like that are tyrannies. Having your Executive power be so focussed is already a bad thing.

Mind that neither of these is unique to the USA - there's a movement towards centralization of power going on in most Western democracies right now. It just isn't as bad yet in most of them.

And honestly, the person of Mitch isn't important - whoever is Speaker for the majority is apparently in total single control over everything that can get made into law in any way, which is completely bonkers.
FOR FUCKS SAKES, HOW MANY MORE TIMES DO I HATE TO SAY THIS???

HE'S JUST IN CHARGE OF SCHEDULING THINGS, AND, LIKE A SECRETARY THAT SCHEDULES MEETING FOR THE BOSS, WOULD GET FIRED IN A SECOND IF THE BOSS (aka the Senate Republicans) DIDN'T LIKE HIS WORK.

By pretending it's a flaw with the position itself you're letting them all off the hook, JUST AS INTENDED!!!

Any legislation he's not bringing up to vote is legislation the senate republicans don't want to be on record voting against. It's that simple.

FOR FUCKS SAKES, HOW MANY MORE TIMES DO I HATE TO SAY THIS???

HE'S JUST IN CHARGE OF SCHEDULING THINGS, AND, LIKE A SECRETARY THAT SCHEDULES MEETING FOR THE BOSS, WOULD GET FIRED IN A SECOND IF THE BOSS (aka the Senate Republicans) DIDN'T LIKE HIS WORK.

By pretending it's a flaw with the position itself you're letting them all off the hook, JUST AS INTENDED!!!

Any legislation he's not bringing up to vote is legislation the senate republicans don't want to be on record voting against. It's that simple.
Yes, which still means his function allows the use of that power.
STOP YELLING AT ME OR I WILL FUCKING PUT YOU ON IGNORE AND CONTINUE TALKING TO PEOPLE WHO KNOW HOW TO USE THEIR KEYBOARD, FUCKTARD.

I really don't need to be yelled at, I'm allowed my opinion and yours really isn't any better than mine, thank you very much.
Compare and contrast some other systems, where, for example in Belgium, a minority of 33% of senators can force a vote on any bill that has been introduced, if it isn't properly scheduled. Or the - again - Belgian system where any bill passed through a committee must be brought up for a full vote within 2 months after being passed. Or practically any other system that allows for somebody else than the majoirty leader to properly put something on the agenda.
Perhaps there is a way for a majority of senators to force a topic on the agenda, but given that the USA still has a two party system, and party discipline is far too strong these days, that just means the same person is in charge.
This IS a systemic problem with the way the US chambers are set up. So kindly fuck off if all you want ot do is yell at me, I'm having a bad enough day as is.

I really don't need to be yelled at, I'm allowed my opinion and yours really isn't any better than mine, thank you very much.
I'm sorry, but how a system of governing works isn't a subjective subject where you can have opinions about why a certain position is allowed to do certain things.

You can have an opinion on what needs to be done about it, but you at least need to base said opinion on the actual facts of how the position works.

Compare and contrast some other systems, where, for example in Belgium, a minority of 33% of senators can force a vote on any bill that has been introduced, if it isn't properly scheduled. Or the - again - Belgian system where any bill passed through a committee must be brought up for a full vote within 2 months after being passed. Or practically any other system that allows for somebody else than the majoirty leader to properly put something on the agenda.
True, but i wasn't arguing that a system where they'd be forced to vote, or where only a 3rd of senators can bring up a bill isn't better, just that the issue isn't with the position itself, but with the party.

Scrapping the position and requiring 50%+1 would still lead to the same issue (altohugh they'd be a bit more sensitive to public backlash then).

Perhaps there is a way for a majority of senators to force a topic on the agenda, but given that the USA still has a two party system, and party discipline is far too strong these days, that just means the same person is in charge.
This IS a systemic problem with the way the US chambers are set up.
They could just replace him, since, you know, they put him there... instead they all vote him in again every time, because his seat is safe, and it keeps them from being on the record from voting one way or the other on issues that their own voters might care about.

And make no mistake, the one obeying party discipline is Turtleman, he's not blocking legislation he doesn't like but the rest of the party does. And if he'd ever bring up to vote legislation he likes but the party doesn't, he wouldn't be Majority leader for long.

So kindly fuck off if all you want ot do is yell at me, I'm having a bad enough day as is.
It's not that i want to yell, it's that i'm pretty sure i've told you this before...

And i wasn't exactly in a good mood either... but it's not like either of us can tell how the other is feeling on an internet forum.

For the record, the US Senate can force a vote on any topic if they get unanimous consent to have the vote. So @Li3n is actually correct: McConnell is only getting away with this persona of power because other Republicans want to block the votes too. He takes credit for killing these bills, but he doesn’t have that much absolute power. It’s not a flaw in the system (at least not that specific part).

For the record, the US Senate can force a vote on any topic if they get unanimous consent to have the vote. So @Li3n is actually correct: McConnell is only getting away with this persona of power because other Republicans want to block the votes too. He takes credit for killing these bills, but he doesn’t have that much absolute power. It’s not a flaw in the system (at least not that specific part).
Unanimous consent is never going to happen and is a ridiculous bar.

Dave

Staff member
Hey all! Remember when I said this a whole...yesterday ago? Well, the FBI has JUST NOW raided Epstein's place. I know, right? Like, why not when he was arrested for child prostitution and sex trafficking or, you know, BEFORE THAT? Well, Here's a picture of his offices BEFORE the FBI invaded. Notice anything strange? That's right, before the FBI was able to secure anything, all the phones and computers were swiped away. So no evidence is probably there to gather. What a strange and random happenstance!

And right on cue. Epstein's neck shows broken bones consistent with non-suicidal strangulation. Who's going to take the fall? Two guards.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ake-records-new-york-conspiracy-a9056696.html

Like I said, nobody important is going to be charged with anything. They'll throw a couple of schmoes to the wolves and then the story will die like the Panama Papers.

And Trump's just moved from trying to ban Muslims from visiting the US to successfully banning Muslims from visiting Israel. Muslims who just so happen to be serving US Congresswomen!

Is it both sides?
Hell no. McConnell sold it as making life easier and more efficient by removing the filibuster in that situation... but his solution was that a senator need only "object" to block anything. Why make it costly or difficult to hold up the Senate for your personal agenda when you could make it easy? Hell, he even lets them do it anonymously.

Dave

Staff member
Guys, I hate Moscow Mitch as much as the rest of you, but the democrats were the first ones to use the nuclear option. Then it came back to bite them in the ass - as predicted - when Moscow Mitch used it AGAIN to stall on Gorsuch.

So in this case, the creep WAS on both sides.

Because the republicans said "no obama appointed judges ever." Obama even nominated a Lindsay-Graham endorsed judge and they said no. Stop both sidsing it. You should know better.

You think Denmark is going to give up their claim to illegally commercially fishing Canadian waters or randomly laying claim to Canadian islands? Fucking Denmark.

TONGUE IN CHEEK if anyone doesn't get it, there's a decades old conflict between us and them over like the smallest little piece of shit island.

This is fucking disgusting.

I can't think of any politician that's been treated more unfairly than Ilhan Omar (beyond outright assassination of course). From the bullshit brother marrying nonsense (SOMETHING SHE HAD NO REASON TO FUCKING DO) conspiracy garbage to her own government working to get her banned from another country.

Disgusting.

This is fucking disgusting.

I can't think of any politician that's been treated more unfairly than Ilhan Omar (beyond outright assassination of course). From the bullshit brother marrying nonsense (SOMETHING SHE HAD NO REASON TO FUCKING DO) conspiracy garbage to her own government working to get her banned from another country.

Disgusting.
As a Jew (it's my only minority status let me have this), she is a far better advocate for American Jews than all of these pro-Israel groups. Nothing disgusts me more than when people call her antisemetic.