Former President Trump Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh for.... if the witch-hunting was what elected Trump, then why was everyone on the right screaming about e-mails and Benghazi for years?

Could we like stop this propaganda about Trump getting elected because the left isn't tolerant enough? I mean the Republicans have been on record since 2008 that they only want to oppose anything Obama does etc. and no one argue that had anything to do with why Obama got a 2nd term.
That's because what got one elected is not what got the other elected, and the political landscape changed a great deal between 2008 and 2016. If we want to get out from under Trump, the left IS going to have to stop trying to demonize all white people and southerners as closet racists, LGBTphobes, sexists, etc because in their froth-speckled striving for enforced ideological purity, they alienated enough potential allies to turn Pennsylvania red.

I'm sure if those armed men where black that's what the police would have used as an excuse... :rolleyes:
There it goes again

That's because what got one elected is not what got the other elected, and the political landscape changed a great deal between 2008 and 2016. If we want to get out from under Trump, the left IS going to have to stop trying to demonize all white people and southerners as closet racists, LGBTphobes, sexists, etc because in their froth-speckled striving for enforced ideological purity, they alienated enough potential allies to turn Pennsylvania red.
Everyone denied crying wolf, and look what happened. Fucking wolves showed up.

Well, the thing is that usually calling them deist or agnostic is a tack taken by those trying to argue that the founders were primarily of a secular mind and motivation, when the fact really is that they were just as religious as any other 18th century European, and it formed much of the basis for their motivations.

Except that they where not as religious as "ny other 18th century European", which is made clear by the fact that they didn't force a state religion, and where clearly using enlightenment ideals.

Don't make the mistake of trying to correct people's mistaken views on them being agnostic as we view it today, by claiming they where the opposite of it, when it's way more nuanced then that.

I mean, didn't one of them re-write the Bible with all the supernatural stuff taken out?

GasBandit

Staff member
Except that they where not as religious as "ny other 18th century European", which is made clear by the fact that they didn't force a state religion, and where clearly using enlightenment ideals.

Don't make the mistake of trying to correct people's mistaken views on them being agnostic as we view it today, by claiming they where the opposite of it, when it's way more nuanced then that.

I mean, didn't one of them re-write the Bible with all the supernatural stuff taken out?
They didn't enact a state religion because their forebears had just fled state-religion-based persecution. That does not mean they, themselves, were not religious. Read their various texts and communications from the day, those tiresome windbags couldn't go three sentences without referencing God or religion.

They didn't enact a state religion because their forebears had just fled state-religion-based persecution. That does not mean they, themselves, were not religious. Read their various texts and communications from the day, those tiresome windbags couldn't go three sentences without referencing God or religion.
Which, by default, makes then less religious then the average European at the time... or, as they'd call them, those people who's religiosity we're fleeing from.

Also note how plenty of other Protestant nations that used to be persecuted by Catholics just turned around and persecuted Catholics, instead of enacting freedom of religion.[DOUBLEPOST=1502742713,1502742210][/DOUBLEPOST]
Sure, all whites, just like an attack on the fact that cops always seem to get away with shooting unarmed people, mostly minorities, is an attack on the idea of cops, and not just a complaint about certain behaviours of cops that should not be tolerated?

Also, since 2008? Did Obama not get re-elected in 2012?

And of course, ever since the election, it's no longer that Hillary is corrupt and unlikeable (unless Trump does something corrupt or unlikable, then whatabouthillary), but that the left needs to accept things the right wants... and that's especially poignant since Trump got elected after 8 fucking year of the right screaming about how they should not be forced to accept ANYTHING Obama wants to do.

Sorry, but that's just bullshit propaganda.

There it goes again
And again, and again!

But that's the beauty of bigotry... it's arguments always repeat. Now of only more people actually paid attention to history.[DOUBLEPOST=1502742817][/DOUBLEPOST]
I follow a few lawyer-sphere people, and shamelessly repost the fruits of their Twitter trawling here. No effort on my part, but it certainly adds to the thread's ambiance.
There's also an entire subreddit for exactly that...

The President of the United States has spent more time and energy denouncing Saturday Night Live and CNN, than he has denouncing actual White Supremacists.

I just can't get away from that fact.

If it had been a mass of black armed people, their being armed and dangerous would've been reason to start firing, not to back down.

GasBandit

Staff member
Which, by default, makes then less religious then the average European at the time... or, as they'd call them, those people who's religiosity we're fleeing from.

Also note how plenty of other Protestant nations that used to be persecuted by Catholics just turned around and persecuted Catholics, instead of enacting freedom of religion.
I don't think that propensity to persecute is an acceptable measurement for "how religious" someone is.

Sure, all whites, just like an attack on the fact that cops always seem to get away with shooting unarmed people, mostly minorities, is an attack on the idea of cops, and not just a complaint about certain behaviours of cops that should not be tolerated?
This is so steeped in hyperbole that it sounds like it's actually sarcastically supporting MY argument, not yours.

Also, since 2008? Did Obama not get re-elected in 2012?
Well, it's not 2020 yet. I'm comparing the two administrations by congruent timelines.

And of course, ever since the election, it's no longer that Hillary is corrupt and unlikeable (unless Trump does something corrupt or unlikable, then whatabouthillary), but that the left needs to accept things the right wants... and that's especially poignant since Trump got elected after 8 fucking year of the right screaming about how they should not be forced to accept ANYTHING Obama wants to do.

Sorry, but that's just bullshit propaganda.
You're operating under a false assumptions that the two ideologies are similar in numbers, when more Americans poll as "conservative" than "liberal" by 36-25. And that's a narrower margin than it used to be. Hence, the base is electorally more important to the republicans than the democrats - don't forget how John McCain's nomination was supposed to be courting the centrists but still lost the election enormously because the base stayed home.[DOUBLEPOST=1502743814,1502743704][/DOUBLEPOST]
If it had been a mass of black armed people, their being armed and dangerous would've been reason to start firing, not to back down.
Black Lives Matter literally shot 14 police officers (killing 5 of them) during a march in Dallas last year and the cops there resoundingly proved you wrong.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't see what that has to do with the point Bubble brought up, but aight.
There was only one shooter, but open-carry activists were marching with the protesters, so there WERE other guns visible in the crowd, and it was not clear where the shots were coming from at first, of course.

Last edited:

This kinda pisses me off.

I understand that everybody is emotional and irrational in the wake of the weekend's events, but the slosh-over from the whole "unceasing outrage looking for an excuse" thing isn't doing anybody any favors. Granted, a white supremacist rally is a pretty darn good excuse, but it doesn't change that this exact kind baseless witch-huntery is part of what's gonna get Trump a second term.

Maybe mull that one over a little, roll up the JTC mat, and wash out and store those broad, broad brushes you've all got at the ready for white people and southerners in particular.
I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying white people = evil. What I'm saying is that law enforcement seems more accommodating toward us. And that's not a practice exclusive to the south.

I don't think that propensity to persecute is an acceptable measurement for "how religious" someone is.
Oh c'mon, don't act dumb, we where talking about the average religious european at the time, not arguing about what counts as being truly a Christian. Since most in Europe did not implement any kind of religious tolerance that certainly counts as an example of the average religious person's beliefs.

This is so steeped in hyperbole that it sounds like it's actually sarcastically supporting MY argument, not yours.
And yet it's an actual argument being made by some people...

So why is that hyperbole, and your isn't?

And seriously, how the fuck does anyone figure that calling someone a nazi makes them more likely to vote for someone that can't bring themselves to condemn fucking David Duke, and then a rally that had actual nazis in it (and no one threw them out)?

Well, it's not 2020 yet. I'm comparing the two administrations by congruent timelines.
Which serves no purpose vis-a-vis the argument you where making. "Things have changed since 2012" would be the correct argument that you should have used.

You're operating under a false assumptions that the two ideologies are similar in numbers, when more Americans poll as "conservative" than "liberal" by 36-25. And that's a narrower margin than it used to be. Hence, the base is electorally more important to the republicans than the democrats - don't forget how John McCain's nomination was supposed to be courting the centrists but still lost the election enormously because the base stayed home.[DOUBLEPOST=1502743814,1502743704][/DOUBLEPOST]
Black Lives Matter literally shot 14 police officers (killing 5 of them) during a march in Dallas last year and the cops there resoundingly proved you wrong.
I... did you just link then without looking beyond the 1st time that the statistic appeared?

Because here:

That's up by 3% since Obama 1st got elected... and since the 2nd time too actually.[DOUBLEPOST=1502745775][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh yeah, i remember the police after saying how they couldn't stop the sniper because all the black people with guns scared them... that was totally a thing.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying white people = evil. What I'm saying is that law enforcement seems more accommodating toward us. And that's not a practice exclusive to the south.
You said that they didn't shoot them because they were white, IE, racist - and potentially murderous, given your insinuation for what would have happen if it had been an armed black demonstration. That's a little bit more than "seeming to be more accomodating."

Oh c'mon, don't act dumb, we where talking about the average religious european at the time, not arguing about what counts as being truly a Christian. Since most in Europe did not implement any kind of religious tolerance that certainly counts as an example of the average religious person's beliefs.
It differentiates belief, but does not indicate intensity of that belief.

And seriously, how the fuck does anyone figure that calling someone a nazi makes them more likely to vote for someone that can't bring themselves to condemn fucking David Duke, and then a rally that had actual nazis in it (and no one threw them out)?
You keep forgetting that there's always a third option in the election - no, not the libertarians (I wish :p), I mean not voting. Just as harmful to the Democrats is not just those who vote R, but those who had been considering voting D then deciding "well fuck those guys too" and not voting.

Which serves no purpose vis-a-vis the argument you where making. "Things have changed since 2012" would be the correct argument that you should have used.
You're wrong, and I don't know how I can explain it better to you without it being a circular argument.

I... did you just link then without looking beyond the 1st time that the statistic appeared?

Because here:

Did you not look at what I posted? I said 36-25... which is what that graph indicates is the current margin. I also said that that commanding lead is also even narrower than it used to be, which is also true - As recently as 2009 it was 40-21, and historically it's always fluttered around the 40-20 range. The fact of the matter, reinforced by that poll, is that there are a lot more conservatives than liberals in the American populace. Thus, it's more important for the democrats to court the center, and more important for the republicans to shore up the base.

You said that they didn't shoot them because they were white, IE, racist - and potentially murderous, given your insinuation for what would have happen if it had been an armed black demonstration. That's a little bit more than "seeming to be more accomodating."
Some things you might not have considered:
- maybe I only skimmed Eriol's post
- maybe I hurried instead of writing a clearer post
- maybe I was in the bathroom at work and didn't take the time I should have to read and write properly because I wasn't supposed to be on Halforums anyway ...

- maybe I was in the bathroom at work and didn't take the time I should have to read and write properly because I wasn't supposed to be on Halforums anyway ...
Nah, none of those things ever happen in real life. All posts on here are well thought out , researched and considered results of long and deep consideration.

Wait, you mean to say you're not actually a think tank made up of twelve hybrid hyper-intelligent feline beastmen whose only function in life is to think up the best quips and jokes to post on this board?!
Well yes, but we're all slackers who spend all our work time playing D&D.

The only time we post something is when one of us is on the toilet.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm willing to grant all that is possible, and more - that it might have just been an emotional response to an unacceptable situation. Which is why I expressed that it made me angry, instead of going full-on GasBandit and calling you mean names :p

Did he actually make additional comments or is he referring to that video as an addition to his Twitter account?
He made "harsher" comments today where he had the vigor of a 5 year old being forced by his parents to apologize. Really its too late. The initial comments + the delay show his true feelings.