Former President Trump Thread

This is a constitutional question. The president is the head of the executive branch - executor of the law. It’s this that gives him power to pardon.

Constitutionally the president is not beholden to the law.

The only power above that is the check and balance of impeachment.

We’ve been through this song and dance before with Nixon and again with Clinton who lied under oath.

Legally, constitutionally they cannot “break” the law and cannot be punished by the justice system for doing so.

Impeachment is the only process available to punish them for any given action or inaction.

The Russia collusion investigation can punish those below him(which he can pardon) but it cannot have any direct effect on him. It will inform Congress, just like the Starr investigation did for Clinton, and they will choose to act or not on that information.

Whether he can be compelled to testify or not is still a question to be answered by the Supreme Court. There are reasonable arguments on both sides regarding compelling an elected official to do anything, nevermind the president. They can’t jail him if he refuses. They can’t even force a clerk to provide a marriage certificate signature, so meullers team may be out of options if they decide they want to force the issue.

I don’t know about Nixon off the top of my head, but Clinton chose to testify. If he hadn’t, or if he chose not to purjure himself, the impeachment probably wouldn’t have succeeded.

Going by history, testimony is more dangerous than stonewalling.

If you’re really interested there are a lot of articles on this subject from many standpoints.

Guiliani says Trump can probably pardon himself, which tells me he probably can't because Guliani probably doesn't know which thing he's not supposed to say today.

Probably.

I find it funny that they no longer argue his innocence and instead just argue that he can't be prosecuted for being guilty of something.

And by funny I mean boiling with rage.

I find it funny that they no longer argue his innocence and instead just argue that he can't be prosecuted for being guilty of something.
It really is just the ultimate expression of the privilege of old, white men. "So what if he did it? You can't do anything about it and I don't care."

Alexander Hamilton (Federalist Paper #69) said:
The power of the President, in respect to pardons, would extend to all cases, EXCEPT THOSE OF IMPEACHMENT. The governor of New York may pardon in all cases, even in those of impeachment, except for treason and murder. Is not the power of the governor, in this article, on a calculation of political consequences, greater than that of the President? All conspiracies and plots against the government, which have not been matured into actual treason, may be screened from punishment of every kind, by the interposition of the prerogative of pardoning. If a governor of New York, therefore, should be at the head of any such conspiracy, until the design had been ripened into actual hostility he could insure his accomplices and adherents an entire impunity. A President of the Union, on the other hand, though he may even pardon treason, when prosecuted in the ordinary course of law, could shelter no offender, in any degree, from the effects of impeachment and conviction. Would not the prospect of a total indemnity for all the preliminary steps be a greater temptation to undertake and persevere in an enterprise against the public liberty, than the mere prospect of an exemption from death and confiscation, if the final execution of the design, upon an actual appeal to arms, should miscarry? Would this last expectation have any influence at all, when the probability was computed, that the person who was to afford that exemption might himself be involved in the consequences of the measure, and might be incapacitated by his agency in it from affording the desired impunity? The better to judge of this matter, it will be necessary to recollect, that, by the proposed Constitution, the offense of treason is limited ``to levying war upon the United States, and adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort"; and that by the laws of New York it is confined within similar bounds.

We know the real answer to that, don't we? :facepalm:
Yes, it’s quite obviously my horrifying bias and not that I was born two years after Nixon’s impeachment and was a newly minted adult following politics when clinton was impeached.

Your assumptions only hurt you, not me.

Yes, it’s quite obviously my horrifying bias and not that I was born two years after Nixon’s impeachment and was a newly minted adult following politics when clinton was impeached.

You go right on telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

(Not that it matters, but I was all of five years old the day Nixon resigned.)

ADMIT IT! You focus on Clinton and not Nixon because you find it easier to type C than to type N and let autofill do the rest. YOU'VE BEEN SECRETLY LEFT HANDED THIS ENTIRE TIME!

Do it! Pardon yourself, and thus admit you you did cooperate with Putin and he still has you by the balls!

Anyone with a twitter account willing to post that?

Dave

Staff member
Of course it is. Idiots like he and his base can't comprehend that it's about anything else and none of them are black so they have not experienced racism or the constant fear of police violence.

Meh. They have a platform and they were using it for political action. He denied them further platform at the whitehouse.

The NFL is now denying them that platform.

I suppose they’ll have to use their celebrity and riches to push their political action in other ways.

I suppose they’ll have to use their celebrity and riches to push their political action in other ways.
Yeah, those uppity negroes should be thankful they've been allowed any success.

(I'm not saying this is what you mean, but this sort of statement is the most common dogwhistle for that idea)

Meh. They have a platform and they were using it for political action. He denied them further platform at the whitehouse.

The NFL is now denying them that platform.

You don't actually think this is about the anthem do you? Just like when the Warriors didn't go, this was "you can't fire me, I quit!"

figmentPez

Staff member
The one's that were doing the kneeling weren't going to the event anyway. They Eagles were only going to send part of the team, and Trump decided "well, if it's not everyone, none of you can come!" They've gotten exactly the platform that they wanted, to not be at the White House, and to have everyone know exactly why they aren't at the White House. Trump has denied them nothing, and shown himself to be a spoiled toddler in the process.

Trump: "Players should proudly stand for the National Anthem, hand on heart, in honor of the great men and women of our military."

No. Bad.

The Anthem (such as it is) is a song about a flag, but it is NOT intended as a warning "keep out" song about how that flag indicates possession of an area defended by the might of our wonderful military, it is supposed to be a celebration of how that flag indicates a strong level of commitment to values of freedom, justice, fairness, etc., and the lengths to which the people who live there are willing to go to maintain that environment.

--Patrick

Trump: "Players should proudly stand for the National Anthem, hand on heart, in honor of the great men and women of our military."

No. Bad.

The Anthem (such as it is) is a song about a flag, but it is NOT intended as a warning "keep out" song about how that flag indicates possession of an area defended by the might of our wonderful military, it is supposed to be a celebration of how that flag indicates a strong level of commitment to values of freedom, justice, fairness, etc., and the lengths to which the people who live there are willing to go to maintain that environment.

--Patrick
Next he'll help protect the freedom of our nation by outlawing the burning or otherwise desecration of the flag.

Next he'll help protect the freedom of our nation by outlawing the burning or otherwise desecration of the flag.
TIL there's this piece of artwork:

glorysanshonor.jpg

It is available for sale from AAF Nation as a throw blanket (pictured), or as a tank tee, canvas reprint for your wall, or a flag, and is a rip-off of this image from DeviantArt with the artist's name cropped out of the lower left corner. I think my favorite part is the eagle brandishing an AA-12.

...so banning desecration of the flag wouldn't be all bad.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Every time someone brings up the possibility of banning flag burning, two thoughts come to my mind:

1. The proper disposal of a US flag involves burning it.

2. I'm very tempted to make a flag that looks like this:

and then burn the inverted color flag.