[Gaming] Tragic the Garnering

Love the art direction, love my big boy Garruk (love that his actual planeswalker card has him being more than just a body builder but a proper thick boy) finally coming back, love the Kenrith twins, love the weird new split cards and yet somehow I have ZERO interest in playing limited for this set.

I'm a little miffed at how boring and on the nose a lot of their fairy tale stuff is. It's really showing how they sacked quite a few of their good writers a while back. Mechanically, this card is neat, but the name and trappings? Fuck off. This is the laziest fucking bullshit Magic. Come on. People are speculating that the reasoning everything is so LCD and on the nose is that too much of Theros' references went over people's head, so dumb down city. This card is like if they called Heliod something like Heliod, The Zeus Analog of Theros.

Apparently only one art for the card too, because they didn't have the budget for more.

Hello friends, so as we all know, there's a new format called Pioneer that has suddenly become an attempt by Wizards to move away from Modern. Luckily for me, it starts exactly when I came back to Magic the last time, during RTR.

All I can say is that this format is going to be weird as fuck, the delve cards will need to be quickly banned again...you know who you are, aaaaaand welcome back big boy, no one missed you:

Hello friends, so as we all know, there's a new format called Pioneer that has suddenly become an attempt by Wizards to move away from Modern. Luckily for me, it starts exactly when I came back to Magic the last time, during RTR.

All I can say is that this format is going to be weird as fuck, the delve cards will need to be quickly banned again...you know who you are, aaaaaand welcome back big boy, no one missed you:

They went and killed historic before it even had a chance to live.

Zappit

Staff member
They pretty much want to kill off the competitive paper Magic scene in favor of Arena. Pioneer will probably go over as well as Frontier, by which I mean will be solved almost immediately, grow tiresome because of the dominance of one or two decks, and abandoned for Modern.

Gonna crosspost from over in Whatcha Playing.

Games that require my computer to function are out the window right now while I wait for my replacement ram, so I've been jamming a ton of Brawl in Magic Arena. It's 100% the most fun I've had playing Arena. I'm going to miss the shit out of it when it's relegated to one day a week for some God awful bullshit reason. As long as I auto-concede if I see someone is playing Oko as their Commander, and 3Feri too, because both are horseshit to have to be able to cast automatically. People want to play those commanders? Fine with me, but I'm not here to play that game. Enjoy the no-game, your 50 gold and 25 xp on me.

Standard right now is the worst it's been since I came back to Magic in Return to Ravnica and bot drafting makes Throne of Eldraine drafts no fun, since all anyone does is draft the mill deck.

I'm gonna go further into the specifics here since anyone reading this will understand what I'm prattling on about.

Planeswalkers suck balls. They're the worst thing in Magic.

Here's some fucking bullshit I don't get, why is Sorcerer's Spyglass banned in Brawl? Because it blanks planeswalker commanders, rendering them useless. Even in the 59 of your deck, this is considered unfair. Why the fuck is Oko ok to have as your commander? He blanks EVERY creature commander and he's just sitting there in the Command Zone, ready to fucking take over every game he is played in. Oko is one of the biggest fuck ups they've done in a long time and they've honestly been fucking up pushed power levels a lot. Standard right now is an unbelievable mess because of him.

I still think planeswalkers are shit. I tried to play 6 games of Brawl today.

Oko, Oko, Nissa, Golos Super Friends, Nissa.

Cool, great.

I still think planeswalkers are shit. I tried to play 6 games of Brawl today.

Oko, Oko, Nissa, Golos Super Friends, Nissa.

Cool, great.
The biggest problem is that brawl in arena is limited to 1v1, in a format that is intended for four people. Planeswalkers in multiplayer games are considered very weak.

Or at least that's the case in EDH. Allowing planeswalkers to be your commander in brawl seems short sighted whereas EDH only allows planeswalkers whose card text specifically states they can be commanders.

Well, they banned the only good anti-planeswalker tech unless you play black. You know, fairness.

Planeswalkers are ruining standard very hard right now too. The Oko/Nissa/Hydroid deck is ridiculous.

I think most of the current bannings in EDH are fine, but I don't play cEDH and neither does the EDH committee.
Paradox engine is the only banning that really affected cEDH. It wasn't exceptionally strong there, but it gave power to some fringe commanders to allow them to compete. Its removal just makes the list of viable commanders at the top end more generic, which is a shame.

I'm not of the opinion that paradox engine should have been banned, but the fact that it was banned when there are several other cards just as broken is puzzling. It seems to me that you should either ban all of them or none of them, and the banning of just one makes it seem more like a personal banning than one for the health of the format.

They've stated that when they ban one powerful example of an effect, it's putting it out there that it's a blanket statement to that effect.

I don't think you can just blame Sheldon, they do have former and current Wizards employees and a host of other consultants.

They've stated that when they ban one powerful example of an effect, it's putting it out there that it's a blanket statement to that effect.

I don't think you can just blame Sheldon, they do have former and current Wizards employees and a host of other consultants.
I know their reasoning, and it's dumb, because a card is either banned or it's not. You can't ban one card and say "now let this be an example, cards like it are still legal but you shouldn't play them." That's not a rules committee, that's a suggestion committee. And saying you can just house rule it doesn't work when you are trying to do a sanctioned event... Games need rules, and this rules need to make sense.

Ok, sorry, rant over

Also, I just had to relook at Oko because I've not used him in edh and haven't played standard since rotation:

His transformation ability is a PLUS ability?! WTF wizards, is that a goddamn typo?

I'll just type this here. Fuck the people in charge at WotC. They spent 3 years building a character as, as one of the former inhouse writers put it (before they fired almost ALL of their inhouse writers instead relying on outside contract work with people that don't give a shit about the product) a pansexual hot mess only to have her suddenly doing a 180 and getting a major case of the supremely hetero not gays. This has pissed off a lot of the people who give a shit about the story. Why did they do this so suddenly? Oh, is it because they're branching their e-sport into China and Russia and having the face of game not be explicitly heterosexual might hinder that?

Fuck China, fuck Russia and fuck corporations.

Fucking sick of the world needing to please these authoritarian pieces of shit.

I'll just type this here. Fuck the people in charge at WotC. They spent 3 years building a character as, as one of the former inhouse writers put it (before they fired almost ALL of their inhouse writers instead relying on outside contract work with people that don't give a shit about the product) a pansexual hot mess only to have her suddenly doing a 180 and getting a major case of the supremely hetero not gays. This has pissed off a lot of the people who give a shit about the story. Why did they do this so suddenly? Oh, is it because they're branching their e-sport into China and Russia and having the face of game not be explicitly heterosexual might hinder that?

Fuck China, fuck Russia and fuck corporations.

Fucking sick of the world needing to please these authoritarian pieces of shit.

^ everything he just said. Chandra deserves better.

Zappit

Staff member
Gotta love the rollout of Pioneer.

"We're letting you play with your recent older standard cards in a format that will be much more affordable than Modern.

MtgFinance reads it, and five minutes later, prices are ratcheting up hard.

Edit: Oh, shit - Secret Lair is a big deal. Print on demand (granted, for a very limited window) of highly sought after cards. I want a full playset of the Bitterblossom set, and might grab some others for EDH.

Last edited:
Gotta love the rollout of Pioneer.

"We're letting you play with your recent older standard cards in a format that will be much more affordable than Modern.

MtgFinance reads it, and five minutes later, prices are ratcheting up hard.

Edit: Oh, shit - Secret Lair is a big deal. Print on demand (granted, for a very limited window) of highly sought after cards. I want a full playset of the Bitterblossom set, and might grab some others for EDH.
I'm buying all of the secret lair... Damnit

Zappit

Staff member
I'm eyeing Bitterblossom, (either a set or a single pack for EDH) the Golgari one, the 5 color legends, and possibly the Serum Visions (but probably not).

I don't see five foil snow-covered lands being a big seller.

Zappit

Staff member
I just bought the Bitterblossom set.

Anybody do Arena/MTGO? I don’t play those, so I doubt I’ll ever use those codes.

I managed to show restraint and will only be purchasing the 5color set.

... plus a little more to fill out an EDH deck using them.