[Gaming] Tragic the Garnering

What kind of monsters do you play with? My playgroup is so much more relaxed. I literally know a guy who plays a fucking bear deck called Bear Force One. It's every card with bears on it.
I learned to play in the competitive edh discord. It is a world of monsters, and they have made me a monster.

original.gif

Najeela, the Blade Blossom is by far the most busted aggro deck commander you can have. One missed chance at removing her and it's curtains. She can do 50+ damage by turn 4-5 and if you have any kind of good evasion cards like Cover of Darkness or Champion of Lambhold, no one can stop you.

I built a deck, even altered her with Ultimate Warrior facepaint because I'm a dork and took it apart the same weekend.

Najeela, the Blade Blossom is by far the most busted aggro deck commander you can have. One missed chance at removing her and it's curtains. She can do 50+ damage by turn 4-5 and if you have any kind of good evasion cards like Cover of Darkness or Champion of Lambhold, no one can stop you.

I built a deck, even altered her with Ultimate Warrior facepaint because I'm a dork and took it apart the same weekend.
Come join us on the dark side

My problem isn't that she wins, it's that she wins in the most boring way possible and exactly the same every time. I don't like my Commander decks to be linear boring affairs. I need moving parts.

Poe is more of a “guaranteed turn 4-5 win every single time no matter how boring it might be” kinda guy.

—Patrick
Actually no. My deck can win as early as turn three, as can everyone else's in the group I play with, but because they all know this, and the decks are all fine tuned, the amount of counter play leads to very complex games.

Yeah, we're not into the same game. cEDH is a completely different animal.
Magic is a big tent with room for lots of people. Some are "Spikes" who want brutal efficiency, and some just want laid back fun.

I tend to switch back and forth, personally. Sometimes I build decks with the express purpose of winning and crushing everyone else as often as possible. Sometimes I just want a goofy combo deck that keeps everything interesting.

A friend of mine has taken advantage of our group's lax attitudes towards land destruction and has built deck after deck that use busted ass commanders like:

To ramp like no other has ramped before and take over with overwhelming mana and card advantage.

So, Frank has decided that he's going to take a trick from Magic content creator April King's playbook and I have built a Zurgo Helmsmasher land obliteration deck. Am I a monster? Yes? Should people be wary about taking advantage of my kinder, gentler nature? Also yes.

Worldslayer? Check.

Obliterate? Also check.

Jokulhaups? Turbo check.

Armageddon? Jumbo check.

Boil? Also check.

Etc.
etc.
etc.

A friend of mine has taken advantage of our group's lax attitudes towards land destruction and has built deck after deck that use busted ass commanders like:

To ramp like no other has ramped before and take over with overwhelming mana and card advantage.

So, Frank has decided that he's going to take a trick from Magic content creator April King's playbook and I have built a Zurgo Helmsmasher land obliteration deck. Am I a monster? Yes? Should people be wary about taking advantage of my kinder, gentler nature? Also yes.

Worldslayer? Check.

Obliterate? Also check.

Jokulhaups? Turbo check.

Armageddon? Jumbo check.

Boil? Also check.

Etc.
etc.
etc.

Join us...

Land destruction was my other favorite can-reach-win-condition-against-anyone deck. But that was back in the days when I played red/green ramp and 4xStrip Mine (and Sisters/Elves/Birds).

—Patrick

So now that MTG Arena is out (in open beta, but no more wipes) I've decided to return to it after playing a bit in the closed beta and then quitting.

It's a lot better, and really fun. I've been playing the past couple of days. It still needs a friend feature though, and an ability to challenge said friends with your decks, but I highly recommend checking it out.

I've been doing buttloads of sealed on Arena, normally doing well enough (6 wins) to keep it going for free.

But the last couple I had some real awful mull to 4-5 and flood streaks.

I hope they make Singleton their Arena eternal format, since two of the sets on Arena are about to rotate out. Brawl is worse than 60-card Singleton so I hope they just stick with it.

Last edited:
So now that MTG Arena is out (in open beta, but no more wipes) I've decided to return to it after playing a bit in the closed beta and then quitting.

It's a lot better, and really fun. I've been playing the past couple of days. It still needs a friend feature though, and an ability to challenge said friends with your decks, but I highly recommend checking it out.
This is the worst part about Arena for me right now. I've come back to it too but I can't believe they haven't implemented a friends feature yet. Also the part where you don't get all 10 dual-color decks but instead a semi-random selection of 5 is kind of dumb.

Otherwise it's good, though.

This is the worst part about Arena for me right now. I've come back to it too but I can't believe they haven't implemented a friends feature yet. Also the part where you don't get all 10 dual-color decks but instead a semi-random selection of 5 is kind of dumb.

Otherwise it's good, though.
Yeah, the missing 5 dual decks is some bullshit I didn't know about until now. In closed beta you could get them all, not you get half randomly. I hope this isn't indicative of the type of business wizards wants to do, even though I know it absolutely is

The economy in Arena is pretty crap. I've opened like 12 Steam Vents in bonus packs and in Sealed and as far as I can tell all the extras do is add a pip to your opening packs wild card meter.

Still missing most of the shocks in other combos.

That sucks ass.

The economy in Arena is pretty crap. I've opened like 12 Steam Vents in bonus packs and in Sealed and as far as I can tell all the extras do is add a pip to your opening packs wild card meter.

Still missing most of the shocks in other combos.

That sucks ass.
So, they add to a hidden meter called "the vault" that, once you fill it, will give you a bunch of wild cards. It's a bad system though, and the devs have said as much, saying they will be replacing it with something, but haven't said what or when yet.

This is literally the most subjective thing I will ever post.

Niv-Mizzet, Parun is the greatest card ever printed.

I love this card. It's incredible. Niv is my boy. And I will show you in a moment when I go find my custom playmat how much Niv is my boy.

I just won a game in Singleton with my UR Sweet Cards deck and was down to no cards in hand about to get overwhelmed by tokens. Then I draw my boy. Play him and then just...wow. He. Fucked. Up. My opponent's board. My opponent tries to remove him instantly with a plummet. I draw a card. Ionize. Awesome. Fuck off Plummet. I draw a card. 2 tokens down. His turn. He hits me for 4 losing another lifelinking token. I draw a card. Dead token. It's Opt. Awesome, Opt with Niv-Mizzet may very well be the most efficient spell you can cast. 1 mana for 2 cards and 2 damage and 1 scry. That's fucking insane.

Niv + Mizzet = #1

20181014_032034.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, has Arena managed to make me not want to play it ever again with it's recent ULTRAMAGIC bullshit.

I've gone 0-2 in Singleton 4 times in a row because no matter how I balance my lands I have to mull to at least 5 because I'm either holding a 6 land hand or a 1 land hand and then I either flood drawing only lands or screw with no lands. It's been the least fun I've ever had playing Magic. This doesn't happen in paper play because at least there's another human to interact with, but having it happen in an online setting is torture. Especially since everyone on Arena seems to be a timer straddling slow play monster on top of this.