[Gaming] Tragic the Garnering

Traditionally, you’re only allowed to use proxies for cards you actually own.
But speaking as a mere mortal who will NEVER be able to complete even one set of the power nine even if I worked at it, yeah, fuck those prices.

—Patrick

Zappit

Staff member
So what's the opinion on proxies? Say, very, very convincing proxies from China? Because fuck these prices
I personally have no problem with them, especially if they're reserved list cards. Wizards has made it clear they'll never reprint those cards, and they barely support Legacy or Vintage. I have EDH decks with some proxies of dual lands. I bought sets of Scrublands and Plateaus. I'm not shelling out $500 for an Underground Sea.

I don't use proxies of super expensive cards in my playgroup, mostly because no one in my playgroup does. I wouldn't feel right dropping a proxied Candelabra of Tawnos (which I got sent with an order of proxies once) when folk are using lands like Urborg Volcano.

I have proxied cards I just couldn't get a hold of in Canada since I refuse to pay the exorbitant shipping costs from places like Card Kingdom or Star City or any shipper on TCG player.

These Terese Neilsen Comiccon exclusive planeswalkers are unbelievable. Her art is still the best in Magic.

Magic is lucky to have her.

Last edited:
So I made a Toshiro Umezawa EDH deck, which is generally a middling level deck in that it performs okay but doesn't usually win. Today, however, I pulled off a neat combo between Razaketh, the Foul-blooded, Chainer, Dementia Master, and Kokusho, the Evening Star. Manabase: Cabal Coffers, Deserted Temple, Sol Ring and like ten Swamp.

1) Tap Coffers, untap with Temple, tap again. 27 mana at my disposal.
2) Cast Kokusho. 21 mana left.
3) Sac Kokusho to Razaketh. Pay 2 life, drain three opponents for 5 each, gain 15. Get a card (Grim Return, in this case, because somebody killed my chainer, which I then used to rez Chainer, 18 mana left.)
4) 3 swamp and 3 life resurrects Kokusho with Chainer. 15 mana left.
5) Rinse and repeat 4 more times. Kill everybody (this was a ways into the game so the highest health was 25), end up at almost a 100 life.

The best part was I didn't even realize the combo was a thing until my opponent said "oh jeez you can do some nasty stuff with those three cards". Thanks, guy!

I have a couple of invites to the Arena closed beta if anyone wants them. I haven't been terribly impressed with it so far, but I can't say I've spent much time with it, either.

It's fine, I just don't care about standard or drafting. I too have 5 invites.

Get Brawl going and I'd be way in.

EDH mode when? This has become my favorite format, deck building for it is really fun
Probably never. Arena only has current standard sets in it right now and will only be adding sets as they come out. Best you can hope for is Brawl.

Probably never. Arena only has current standard sets in it right now and will only be adding sets as they come out. Best you can hope for is Brawl.
Oh well, cockatrice is free anyway, and pretty easy to use.

We should try a game on it sometime

That moment when you manage to cyclonic rift all non land permanents back into opponents hands and then time twister it all away into their decks... Twice!

Cyclonic Rift should be banned in Commander, just straight up. It's the most boring, game prolonging card in the whole format.

I hate playing it, I hate having it played on me. No one likes Cyclonic Rift.

Cyclonic Rift should be banned in Commander, just straight up. It's the most boring, game prolonging card in the whole format.

I hate playing it, I hate having it played on me. No one likes Cyclonic Rift.
I felt pretty good about myself

I knew one guy who played that deck and we all killed him immediately every time after his first time locking us down into the slowest, most game of Commander ever. Every one just mercilessly attacking him over and over and over and countering everything he did. He was always out after turn 4-5. He was super grumpy about it.

So, it's funny that the card from the new Commander decks people seem overly excited about is that Ninja tribal legend Yuriko. She seems fine, but linear and boring.

I'm way more excited about the fucking nonsense Brudiclad is capable of. JANKY NONSENSE.

This is exactly my jam. Tokens + Artifacts + copying stuff. Brudiclad was made specifically for ME.

Secondly, I'm pretty excited to build weird group slug deck around:

She's also right up my alley. Full of awkward corner case janky interactions too.

I guess what I'm learning is I'm sick of straight forward turn guys sideways/combo/run of the mill stuff.

Last edited:
So.
Tokens don't necessarily have to be creatures, right?
How many tokens are there that aren't?

--Patrick
Plenty. Treasure tokens, gold tokens but mainly, spells that create token copies of regular powerful beasties. Imagine, IF YOU WILL, casting:

on some smart ass's

Meanwhile, your

and

Have created boatloads of

and

And now you have 9 11/11 infect tramplers thanks to Brudiclad.

That's some magical Christmasland shit, but that's just one of the many amazing and silly things I can't wait for this deck to achieve.

So.
Tokens don't necessarily have to be creatures, right?
How many tokens are there that aren't?

--Patrick
Treasure tokens, Clue tokens, tokens that are copies of target artifact (as per cards like Saheeli's Artistry, which notably is also in the precon), Mask tokens (per Estrid, the Bant precon commander, but you're not gonna play her in a commander deck with Brudiclad). Given that you can copy any artifact with Saheeli's Artistry (or the original Saheeli Rai planeswalker for that matter), there's probably a bunch of win-cons there if you want to.

EDIT: Aw, Frank beat me to the punch.

What kind of monsters do you play with? My playgroup is so much more relaxed. I literally know a guy who plays a fucking bear deck called Bear Force One. It's every card with bears on it.